The love and hate game, WoW style.

Perhaps it’s just me, but I have a feeling the tide is turning for WoW, especially with the new info released about the next expansion and how the Hero class system will be used. In a nutshell, the Hero class system is basically re-rolling your character with a new class available to you, with the option to skip a bunch of early content. They are adding a new class to WoW, but making players jump through a hoop to get access to it, while at the same time NOT delivering anything new to current characters, which was the original plan way back when WoW was released. Back then Hero classes were planned to be an extension of your characters growth, enabling you to further specialize your class by going down a particular Hero path. It was delayed and not part of the original release due to balance issues, or at least that was the official statement back then. With each patch, players awaited the arrival of hero classes and what they could bring to WoW. After a few years, we finally get that announcement, and clearly it’s not what was promised way back when. Add this disappointment to the fact that Blizzard seems to be getting lazy with the future development of WoW in general, and it’s no surprise that a segment of their player base is growing weary.

I personally quit WoW after burning out on raiding, and saw nothing of value in The Burning Crusade. Once I learned that Illidan was to be the featured end boss of the final raiding instance, I packed it up and cancelled my account. The account has TBC on it, and yet my main has never stepped foot in Outland. I did play through the new blood elf and draenei content, but those characters remain dormant after hitting level 20 and being filtered back into old zones. Nothing that I have read about WoW since quitting has ever sparked me to return, and this is a game I spent over 2000 hours on one character playing full time for two years, along with many alts, some who also reached level 60.

That said I know my father is still addicted to the game, and has likely log in more hours than I have, albeit in a slightly longer time frame. He has never raided, or even seen all of the end-game 5 mans, but he has tried almost every race/class combo the game offers, many to the high 50s. He generally plays solo, avoids PvP, and as far as I know does little crafting. He enjoys the character growth and questing. We are about as different as you can get in terms of how we play WoW. For him TBC has added some nice extra content that he as enjoyed, although not nearly as much as he enjoyed the original 60 levels. One thing he is very happy with however is that he still has plenty of quests to do at level 70, so when he hits the level cap he has not run out of content. He is not as item focused as I was, so the fact that many of the quests don’t offer an upgrade for a reward does not bother him much. He does the quest for the enjoyment of the quest itself. It will be interesting to see how he views the recently announced expansion as more info is released and we get closer to it going live. As I stated above, the news does nothing for me, but I have a feeling he will find a great deal to look forward to. My question now, and one I’m sure Blizzard has also considered, is how many players fall into my camp, and how many fall into my fathers?

45 Responses to The love and hate game, WoW style.

1. Melchoir says:

Been lurking on ur blog for a bit, but this post finally hit home for me. I too have been recently in some sort of WoW falling-out. Specially after the news on the next expansion and news of future changes. I do feel that WoW is a very well made game, specially after playing LotRO and some Tabula Rasa stuff, i frequently find myself shouting at the game, “have u learned nothing from WoW’s game design!?” But still i find that WoW just has no spark left.

It seems that Blizzard is gotten so good at making what seems to be machine of a game, that all they are good at now, is making the machine run smoothly. there’s nothing new with the expansion, even the whole Hero class seems hacked. They r really good at making cheap hacked together content though. The sheer concept of making players go back to the same dungeon in Heroic mode is a stroke of genius. Twice the content for very little design and tweak work… In fact they r so good at these timesinks, that the game would seem fun at moments.

But having realize the genius of Blizzard and seeing the expansion news, i feel that WoW is pretty much jumped the shark. Its not going to get any better or greater. They will just keep adding the same timesink, dressed in really pretty “well made” game play.

I’ve raided 25 man tBC stuff @ lvl 70, and i wouldnt exactly say i’m raid burn out. its that i realized that there’s nothing new anymore, not with their design philosophy. WoW is a great game, and i miss the quality of it when i play other games, but i really dont feel it will go anywhere beyond where it is today.

2. syncaine says:

Exactly, WoW won’t change. The expansion won’t change the formula, just make it longer. For those of us who are done with the formula, we move on. Those that still enjoy it, will be looking forward to having it increased.

My question now I guess is if this is a problem specific to WoW, or are all MMO’s like this? I don’t remember this same feeling of burnout with UO, AC, or DAoC, and I played all those for over a year. I quit each one for different reasons, just like I put LoTRO on hold not because I’m tired of it, but because it simply refuses to play nice with my current hardware, and rather than try and force it, I simply cancelled and will revisit it later.

3. [...] Hardcore Casual has a post up about his reaction to the news being released about the next expansion. As a player who left WoW, he’s not impressed. [...]

4. [...] Hardcore Casual has a post up about his reaction to the news being released about the next expansion. As a player who left WoW, he’s not impressed. [...]

5. shander says:

I’m a split between your father and you. I like farming for farming sake, and i like the little opporutinities to Either Pvp in realm or to come to the heroic aid of some people questing or leveling in the region i am farming to help them with a group quest or to knock off the hordie who just farmed him.

I like the new in world pvp in the burning crusade.. It is less formally scripted than a round of AV , WSG or ARathi basin. ..but it hos a bit more structure than your random messy meleen at southshore…plus i goes on where there are nice farmable resources.

I like to do heroic instances.. and the new content is hard enough that you gotta pay attention.. sorta like playing ping pong or eight ball pool…. if you dont try you will mess up, and there is a benfit to refinign your game. I am purposely comparing a pvp game (pool or darts) to PVE because, when i comes down to it, the group effort of an instance or a raid has some simlar response issues to casual pub games.

And the idea of WoW being the new pub I think is what i’d like to see eanbled more. No alchohol, but a place, on line , on your server, where you can kinda posture, kinda compete.. kinda hang out and SEE (not enough of this and room for improvment from bliz) what other people are up to and interact more.

The social overlay beyond formal party grouping and beyond your own guild can be enhanced. Being able to subscribe to a chaneel seeing who dropped which boss when… and being able to haze them for taking so long (wipe anouncments? lol?) or congratulate them when they make it… perhaps offering to thier party to step in to tank etc.. I think that could be fun…. I don’t know exactly how.. and some people like your father might relish the privacy of nerding out … so maybe its only on pvp and rppvp (my choice) where people have chosen interaction.

And, it might be worth experimenting to have some resource rich pvp areas where you could fight people in your own alliance while going for a mineral node or something?

6. [...] Hardcore Casual has a post up about his reaction to the news being released about the next expansion. As a player who left WoW, he’s not impressed. [...]

7. redtusk says:

So many people I know feel really burnt out by WoW. I’m not convinced Blizzard have the formula right – I felt I was putting in far more than I got out of the game. Sacrificing other parts of my life to just remain a part of the game just isn’t appealing anymore. All the high end content is unachievable for people who don’t have the time and energy to farm rep and re-run dungeons countlessly.

I’m currently looking for an mmog that feels like a game and not a job. No silly timesinks – just fun (and friendly players!).

8. Rhiannon says:

I to feel there is nothing new any more, i to have fallen out of the WoW scape.

but no doubt i shall return some day.

9. How many people fall into your camp? Plenty. Lots of people play WoW and don’t like it.

How many people fall into your father’s camp? Less then dont like WoW at all I would imagine. I meet very few people who just want to quest, although my own wife is one of them.

But you’ve missed a whole other part of Warcraft which the majority of the players fall into. Those that like to group and raid and work together with a team. Find a fantastic group of people, who you get to know on a personal level, and conquer tougher challenges as a team and you will find where WoW’s strength really lies.

You say you’re not impressed with The Burning Crusade, or Wrath of the Lich King but haven’t played either, which strikes me as a little narrow minded. Adding Heroic dungeons, the same dungeon but harder, might seem like a cheap way of adding more content to you, but it was a response to those people who didnt want to join anything larger, people who are now grateful for heroics. Many games have reused content and many still do, all mandatory pieces if you want to “complete” the game but heroics at least are optional.

For 8 million players around the world, myself included, Wrath of the Lich King doesnt need to be massively different because we’re already enjoying what we have. To us it’s just more fun, in a different place.

The tide hasn’t turned on Warcraft. The figures prove this, as does the general contentment of the player base. If you still played you would realise this.

10. Roger says:

Yeah, I know what you mean, have played rpgs and wargames for years and feel that Blizzard have sat on their collectives for quite a while. The amount of griefing in the game has always been my major issue. They really dont protect players from troublemakers and the endless grind of farming can be a real drag. Played Burning legion but was largely disappointed – its virtually impossible to progress without being in a guild. The game completely ignores/penalises solo players.

11. syncaine says:

Taelan I was in the same spot you are back before TBC. I was a officer in a server first raid guild working our way into Nax, having cleared BWL and later AQ40. I played a good 40 hours a week with the same 50-60 people each week, and had a blast. Still today I think WoW is the best MMO out, and anyone who has not played it should rush out and get it.

That said, after two years, I’ve moved on. And what Blizzard is doing with WotLK is not really making me want to rush back in. The same reasons that made me quit (farming pots, cheap deaths, unbalanced difficulty) are simply being expanded on. Until my former guildmates tell me otherwise, WoW is the same game now that it was when I left.

12. Lisa Young says:

It’s a shame you haven’t tried Outlands. It’s a bit hard to make a judgement on the current expansion if you haven’t seen the bulk of the content (bar levelling to 20 in Ghostlands).

For me I was a late starter to WoW (June 2006). I’ve been hooked ever since and was lucky to enough to get to see Ony/MC/BWL just before TBC release 6 months later. Although I wasn’t a hardcore raider, I would say I started out like your dad. Enjoying the game at my own pace, levelling alts, questing with friends (and them logging mains to get even with ganking). I felt I’d missed out on all the fun of the original game, because to others it was ‘same old’. To me it was new and exciting. The TBC expansion was something I had in common with my new friends, something to experience together with them. I loved levelling in Outlands. It make me imagine this is what it was like when the original game came out. So much ganking, general chat not dis-similar from Barrens chat. The excitment and hot linking of ‘greens’ with crazy stats on. I was a non-raider for a couple of months as a 70, but I found i could do many more things than as a 60 non-raider.

I guess I have a lot more patience than some of my friends, but I still found enjoyment in getting 2 chars to 70, 1 to 67. As well as both 70s being exalted with every faction/heroic key, kara, netherwing…. you name it. Both are nicely kara-equipped, then I decided to ditch my main for my alt. She’s progressed well. I worked hard farming for tailoring mats that I don’t even need tier 4/5 items. We’ve now cleared Mount Hyjal and working on BT (Gurtogg onwards).

I know I’m heavily addicted to this game, but raiding hasn’t burnt me out just yet. I have my other projects to relax me such as my twink rogue. I am definately looking forward to the next expansion. To me its not so much about the game, but the people I’m with. It’s given me friends and lovers. Even the ganking, as frustrating as it can get, this game gives me such emotional pleasure that’s what keeps me hooked. For example when we downed Arhimonde. I was buzzing all night I could not get to sleep :D I would love to help you see the spark that it gives to me if you want to give it a chance.

13. IndierThanYou says:

Twink, Twink, Twink.

14. Hrafn Sigmarsson says:

WoW had reall potential to move on with TBC but didn’t. I played it to 70, raided and Arena’d and it was the same old same old. WotL will be no different.

There will be those that love it, but its not for me. Class balance wasn’t balanced around solo play, especially when talking about PvP. Rock/Paper/Scissors systems are bad enough, but WoW just took the biscuit.

Grinding, grinding and grinding were the motto of WoW, whether that be levelling, Raiding or PvPing.

Just not for me thanks. After 2 years I got very bored.

Warhammer online, I think, will take a good few of WoWs World PvP starved population. Mark my words.

15. Preston says:

People keep saying WoW is on its way out or has peaked, yet it just hit 9 million subscribers and growing. The opinions of one burned-out raider don’t represent the other 8,999,999 who are still signing in and starting new characters.

16. Steve says:

Surprise Surprise Blizzard make an “announcement” on what will happen, and then months later when the time comes, Blizzard’s “annoncement” was utter rubbish.

Do you remember when WoW started, and a lot of the European players of Everquest asked if they could play with their American guildies?

Blizzard’s reply – Yes, you will be able to move from the European Servers to the American servers, once the game has been released in Europe.

The reality – No you couldn’t move from the European servers to the American servers.

I take anything Blizzard says with a pinch of salt, they are unreliable, their promises are empty and their commitment to what they tell their customers is non-existent.

Also to Preston……my account is still ‘counted’ as a part of that 9 million subscribers, as is the author’s of this blog, but my account has been closed for over 2 years….remember, it doesn’t say 9 million ACTIVE subscriptions, it just says there have been 9 million people who have subscribed at some time.

Still very impressive and I am not predicting the games downfall, because I played EQ for 5 years and from the moment I started playing that game people predicted its downfall, and it took 5 years and WoW to do it.

17. karloff says:

i’m in your fathers camp of play-style – yet i am bored. after 3 months of TBC, i have seen the grind and it has grown tiresome. then i think of the hours i have spent in this intangible medium, creating this high level 10101010… but mainly, i am bored. wow is the new everquest. yes, my account is inactive as well. best wishes to all that stayed.

18. Keith says:

The real key to enjoying WoW for a long time is moderation. By your estimate you spent 2000 hours developing one character up to level 60. My main character is level 70 and I haven’t spent that much time on it.

I’ve been playing for 2 years and I still enjoy it but I only play 2-3 time per week. My level 70 is for solo play and I’m developing a shammy for instance play.

I know people who think that the goal is getting to the top level and killing the final boss. This is an attitude that comes from previous single player games where that was the goal and the game was over.

The best thing about WoW is that I can do whatever I want. I can quest or I can run instances. I can grind for reputation or for gold. I can develop skills or a craft. I can fight monsters or other players. I’ve done all of these and I’m still doing them.

I’m looking forward to the new expansion for the new continent to explore and the new quests. The new pvp will include seige engines and destructable buildings which should be interesting.

If you go into the game with only one goal in mind then the game will take as long as a regular single player game and you’ll either quit because you think that you’re finished or you’ll burn out on the game.

19. Frank says:

For most people, any game that is played will have a burn-out factor, whether it’s Monopoly, chess or World of Warcraft. The fact that you’ve accumulated over 2000 hours is testament to the playability and longevity of the game. Personally, I accumulated a similar amount of time on MUDs and MOOs back in the days of text-based adventure games.

I am now having a hiatus from WoW. After reaching the end-game, I feel slightly burnt out but I hope it’s not a permanent thing. However, I do know that Blizzard has qualified its number of subscribers. It has said that it counts active subscriptions and people on the free trial. It does not count lapsed subscriptions.

20. Euphoryx-Magtheridon(us) says:

2000 hours is a testament to the longevity of the game. That’s a little over 83 real time days played. My Mains are in a relatively casual raiding guild, 3-4 hours 3-5 nights a week. I’ve been playing since open beta and there are friends of mine who have over 320-400 days played on 1 character and I’m still less than 200 with 4 characters to 70. Seems to me like you achieved the highest level at the time, 60, in the fastest manner possible without taking time to take an interest in the lore, scenery, or social aspect of the game. It’s like life, sometimes you just need to stop and smell the roses or else you will get burned out, for example: Your job, relationships, etc.

My suggestion would be to play the x-pac with more emphasis on having a good time instead of level level level. Also, take it in moderation. Limit yourself to play 2-3 days a week. It will leave you with a feeling of want for the game itself because now your playing to enjoy not to grind out to the highest level so fast that you’re tired, bored, and have no life outside of WoW. That’s where you’ll get burned.

As for me, I’ll still be here for WotLK and I can’t wait!

21. scott says:

Hello, just a followup to what Rager said, (The game completely ignores/penalises solo players) I am sure this is by design, as it is a MMOG. Its made for multitudes of players who enjoy killing creatures as much as socializing. I am of the school of thought if it is no good to play single, either join the hordes, or find another game that is fun for single player. D2 LOD is still a fun game. Peace.

22. Ionium says:

Sell by date all mmorpgs have a sell by date for players methinks where people just become bored of the same old same old and thusly lose interest. I have played most popular mmorpgs going didn’t touch one for a year due to be utterly bored of them back to wow now playing BC and appreciating that they have fized a lot of things in the expansion that should of been fixed pre 60 old content.
    Much of the old content is now redundant (end pre BC 60 cap) due to the quest rewards in bc being far superior to the dungeon sets in 55-60 dungeons and raids. Bad move there bringing out new content and not fixing the old methinks but far as wow is concerned I am not too impressed with bc and am still wondering what all the hype was/is about maybe the new hero classes will shake things up and bring something fresh to the game but as wow was pretty ground breaking as far as mmorpgs are concerned (grinding wise) I don’t see it. If Blizzard wants to keep its clientelle then they really need to pull their finger out of their ass do something novel is my opinion. Otherwise its the same old same old with each new expansion not too far unlike EQII which bored the hell out of me with new content which was just a rehash of the old. As for the comments about solo play…. its a multiplayer game I don’t understand why anyone would wish to solo in a mmorpg the whole point is to socialise is it not?
    But each to their own. To summarise WoW is/was a great game and I spent many hours planning and strategising my toons working hard to get epic mounts etc only to feel a little let down with the raid content pre bc due to it all being raid content which can’t say I have ever liked. Takes too long for me to organise raids and the drop rates for gear is poxy 25 players rolling on oine item sucks balls as far as I am concerned which is where DND online beats WoW with its reserved item system for each player. Why the hell would you want to raid the same instance 20+ times for one drop is beyond me and the casual game play I am used to in non-mmorpgs.

23. AngryAnt says:

I’ve got to agree with the blogger here. I quit WoW a little over a month ago now (possibly even not that long ago). I raided in both WoW and tBC, and frankly, tBC is a MASSIVE let down.

Did hardcore raiding in a guild which i was the GM in, and i wasn’t the only one who was annoyed at blizz in seeing that they are becoming increasingly lazy. I can honestly say, that i dont intend to go back to WoW unless this new expac is hailed as the new born king, by my friends who still play the game.

The reason it has 9million subs (active or unactive don’t really care either way :p), is down to the fact it is so simple. Its mainstream and easy to understand. Thats the reason that SOE and other companies hardly make it above 1million (if their lucky). Thats good and bad, good that they get more money and everyone gets the game. Bad in the sense, that since tBC has been bad for both hardcore 40-50 man guilds, and the single players, they’ll both get burned out with the little content wrapped up in some nice fluff.

Its a shame as i played the game since it came out in europe. But i guess all good things come to an end.

24. Tommy says:

A nice article, and one with which I have some empathy with. As an “old school” hard-core raider (MC/BWL then AQ40) I suffered burn-out from excessive raiding and quit, never to look back.

Yeah, right :)

Now I’m back playing, I don’t raid, I don’t even do instances! I haven’t seen the inside of *any* TBC instances ever. I get my fun now by doing a lot of BG PvP, collecting the gear and slowly levelling all these other toons I neglected because of my full-time raiding priest. I’m probably having more fun than ever since I lost my lust-for-loot.

I’m 40 years old by the way – so I guess I fall more to your Father’s camp. My son (16 y.o.) has given up on “real” WoW altogether and now just plays on private realms where all the gear is available.

25. Raz says:

I’ve burned out on WoW very soon – mainly because my main is Horde on an underpopulated server with 80% Alliance. Despite all the Blizzard backstories, only a comparatively small percentage of players actually play Horde, something that worries me about the upcoming Lich King expansion which seems to focus partly on Alliance-versus-Horde play – with destructable town scenery et al. How’s that going to work when the majority of players are Alliance ?

I’ve enjoyed the past year, but feel I’m wasting a huge amount of time begging and scrounging up players for higher-level quests, dungeons and raids, when clearly I could be doing more with my real life. Maybe a lot of the early players have burned out and left, and perhaps the expansion packs are to little too late – people seem to have voted with their feet. Blizzard don’t care of course, and are becoming increasingly remote and difficult to get hold of – just keep the cash rolling in, and who cares if a few people leave because of the staleness ?

26. John says:

Just to set Steve’s mind at rest, the figure of 9 million is for active subscriptions. If you read the blizzard figures they are quite clear about that. If you once played but have since stopped subscribing then don’t worry, you aren’t being counted.

From what I’ve read of the new expansion it seems that Blizzard are just following a formula that they know works, the core of the game isn’t going to change they’re just going to build on the lessons learned from the original game & the first expansion. If you’re the market leader, and your market share isn’t shrinking, why make radical changes?

27. Alex says:

I tend to agree with the general thrust of the blog entry. Wrath of the Lich King really looks to be giving players everything they’ve been asking for – and nothing more. There’s nothing hugely exciting about it, no great changes, just “more of the same”, and more of the same in WoW is, well, too much of a once-good thing for my money.

I see some silly objections like “all games cause burnout!” (which is patently nonsensical – I’ve never experienced an MMORPG or any other game that caused burnout in the same way WoW’s environment, esp. the endgame raiding environment, did), and “lots of people still play WoW!” – sure they do, but the question is, will they continue to, post-WotLK? Will the continue to, after WAR and AoC are out? Heck, after Starcraft 2 is out…

WoW has been around for approaching three years now, and it’s done amazing business in that period, but anyone who thinks a three-year-old game is going to just keep going and going magically, when it doesn’t seem to be renewing itself at all, merely making it’s grind even longer, is a little bit deluded. I think we’ll see a peak at either 9.5 or 10m players when WotLK releases, and that’ll be the last time we see “X players” figures from Blizzard, unless it gets much bigger in China.

I guess that’s an interesting factor. They used to frequently mention their NA/EU figures – now they are persistently silent on them. Who knows how many Westerners are still playing WoW? Huge in China and Korea? I don’t doubt it. Hell, the limited amount of time per day they’re legally allowed to play in China will help prevent burnout and from seeing all the content! Well, time will tell, but I agree with Hardcore Casual, the tide has turned on WoW.

28. Becky says:

I fall more into your father’s camp. But I think *everyone* eventually begins to burn out in WoW. Eventually your brain cottons on to the fact that you’re not actually materially gaining anything by playing, the experiences become stale, and you find other things to do.

I’ve let my WoW account stagnate three times now… First time when I got bored of running a guild (it was turning into more of a job than a game). Then my girlfriend got into playing it, and we played together for ages as a mini-group. But we got bored when we hit level 60 and ran out of casual quests, so the account sat unused for a few months.

Then TBC came out and we quested on till 70. But once again the WoW fatigue kicked in.

I think it’s a game you can dip in and out of over the years, but maybe it’s star is starting to fade.

29. Ynys says:

I have played WoW since Beta and I’m still enjoying it, but the reason for that is not really the content. Although seeing what is round the next corner is still important to me and I love to raid. But the main thing that keeps me playing is my Guild I am an officer in Fearsome War Engine on dunemaul server and they are the reason I play. That guild and its associate guilds contain a whole bunch of my friends we met online, we’ve met in real life, we have shared our problems and our best times and many will continue to be my friends ever after we’ve all left. The new expansion will mean some leave and some stay and I will decide when it comes. But I do worry about a lack of content for all of us who have got to lvl 70 and who are into raiding. I personally play alts and main to have fun I’m currently working on a Hunter- Isamu a blood elf. I started him to play the new content and am still playing him even tho he is back in the old world.

30. Ian Parkes says:

2000 hours of your life down the pan. For what ?
    You could have helped someone using that time.
    You idiot.

31. Leon says:

I packed in WoW at the start of the year for much the same reason. Dispite all my ingame friends getting the expansion, to me it was another ten levels of the same grind.

As contrast, I moved backed to a ten year old mmorg (Ultima Online) as this was my first game and and game me something to do while I looked for another game. Suprisingly I haven’t looked back! Once you get over the graphical thing you suddenly become aware of the games freedom to go and do what you want, when you want and more importantly the sense of community the player base has.

Don’t get me wrong, Ultima has its problems however compared to the linear grind pah of WoW, its still years ahead.

32. Thorfy says:

Yup TBC was a massive disappointment, it killed many organised raid guilds which fractured (Yes I was a hard core raider) Fair way into Naxx, which then became an irrelevance which was a big dissapointment.

I have I guess “Burnt out” having quite a fantastic guild on Draenor Incarnation – and after a few goes at raiding again I have reverted to playing my many alts and helping others progress, many new joiners seem totally lost as the old world is relatively empty, questing there is so much easire now there are not 10-20 other players after the same spawn.

I am looking forward to the Lich King but only a little if is as disappointing as TBC Blizz will have along way to go to pull it back, they naver make use of all therrain, what about sea battles and flying mounts in the old world.

I do only play 2-3 times a wek now as opposed to almost 7 and boy do I enjoy it more because of it.

33. jjo says:

It’s because WoW offers so many different ways to spend you game time that people have such varied views on the games longevity. For the raider having to grind through 10 more levels with the WoLK is probably enough to drive them mad. For PvPers and solo PvEers it’s probably a different story as they will look forward to the new ways to squish the other faction and the new regions to quest through. I personally most enjoy group PvE and PvP and TBC still allows me ample opportunities to do so… the only time I’d consider stopping would be if there was no-where left to progress to. WoLK and before then the upcoming patches will provide huge scope for progress.

34. DV says:

I played Wow up until the release of TBC… my warlock with full T2 Epics, 12 Epic Mounts, and rank 12 (before those silly ezee mode patches!)… but i totally burnt myself out… the time sink was just too much, my marriage irl fell apart, and in hindsight i should have eased it off, BUT… i loved every minute of it, would never change the clock and try and do it all different. the social interaction and sense of belonging i got from WoW was amazing and im grateful for it.

ive now gone back to playing FPS, and my consoles… but having stopped “cold Turkey”, i wouldnt go back to playing, because I know myself too well.. the allure of lvl70… more epics, legendary items, hardcore PvP, raising the bar, burning the citadel is just too much for me to get int (again lol) :P

ive been playing games since i was 10yrs old (im 28 now), and WoW remains my most loved game.

35. Chris says:

With MMOs that rely on a level-cap the long term problem for many gamers is: what to do then?

I played WoW from its Euro launch and levelled 2 characters to 60 and began raiding like any good addict. Problem was, I became bored with the same set pieces and the lack of freedom, because any good raid is based on good organisation and working in (ever larger) teams. So pretty much a year after launch I quit with 2 level 60s and never really wanted to go back. I miss the social gaming, but once you hit 60 (now 70) it’s no longer social – more ‘networking’ and hierarchical.

I don’t hold any illusions that a perfect MMO can be crafted for hardcore raiders and the more social gamer. I just think that there is little in WoW for someone who reaches the level cap, but hates repetition. -and that’s even before we get onto grinding reputation with all the different factions!

I loved it while it lasted, but the endgame just wasn’t for me.

36. Darkorm says:

I never actually liked WoW when it came out and bullishly defended Everquest II which I still think is a better game. EQ2 is definitely a huge time sink, a lot more complicated and not as fun as WoW and this was the reason this great game initially failed to attract casual players. Those who took their gaming seriously stuck with EQ2. Now I’ve reach my Cap (Level 70) in EQ2 I’m finding that there simply aren’t enough people online to group or raid with and I’ve ran out of solo content. Luckily an expansion is coming out which will attract me back to it. In the meantime I’m having lots of fun in WoW – level 60 Warlock – just stepped through the Dark Portal – loving it.
    This is after trying and dumping LOTRs – I agree with a previous poster – my machine hates it too…. I can hardly move in the game.
    With my SOE account I also have access to Planetside, Vanguard, EQ1 and EQ2, Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies….. I think you can see that I don’t have time to be fed up with a game as I have access to so many.
    My hope is – is that WoW, EQ2 and even LOTRs carries on developing and gives players many hours of enjoyment.
    (Hmmm…. now why don’t I have my Warhammer Beta key?) ;-)

37. Ben says:

It’s no surprise that the new PvE content is not awe inspiring. It took Blizzard 2 years to come up with the idea of developping quests from things like “Kill 20 of type X monster” to “Kill 20 of type X monster… from the air”. When you first show how the questing gameplay works to people not familiar with the game, many are utterly astounded that anything could be so dull and repetitive. They don’t realise the addictive nature of the character devlopment. WoW will always remain a highly addictive game for first type character levellers, whether the ceiling is 60 levels, or 70 or 80. But the longevity of it does very much revolve around what to do when you reach the top. Raiding is a thrill that holds many (myself included) for months at first, possibly because the sheer scope of 40-man cooperative play is very cool and incredibly well executed by Blizzard. But once the raid bosses are killed and re-killing them is easy, the thrill quickly fades.

” I just think that there is little in WoW for someone who reaches the level cap, but hates repetition”

– there is. PvP. I recently (5 months ago) discovered the joys of PvP. Like most PvEers, at first i hated it, mainly because I sucked at it. Getting killed every 5 seconds is frustrating. But I failed to believe some kid could be that much better than me, and the experiece kindled the competitive instinct years as a FPS veteran had given me, so i perservered. It wasn’t long before i discovered it’s not that hard to get the best of people, and the feelling of owning other players in battle is very satisfying. PvP has most of the excellent game mechanics that PvE has, but it has something else. Intelligent opponents. The AI of monsters in WoW is almost non-existent, but other players…. now that’s tricky. It’s always changing, always interesting, instant gratification and very fast moving. If you really don’t like PvP, it’s a real shame cos the options of what to do at lvl 70 really are limited.

38. Mondo Kane says:

I’m a very much lapsed WoW player, and I have to say I agree 100% with your viewpoint. I was lucky enough to be in both the US and EU betas, and was amongst a whole outfit from the game Planetside that left for the new shores of a WoW PvP server. I’ve never been a hardcore gamer; there’s too much to do in life to sit for 12 hours in front of a computer doing endless raids on dungeons and assaults against enemy strongholds. So a gap began to open between the hardcore and casual gamers, and while it was possible to get some of your big brothers to help you out, soon the time required for some of the high-end content meant that the casuals were left so far out in the cold they began leaving for other guilds or servers. Plus the promised Honour system was diluted, so I was still getting spawncamped for hours by losers in full epic sets who just loved their /spit emote.
    I left for an RP server, and really enjoyed the casual ethic to play there. Plus, I match your father’s playstyle; I do the quests to follow a storyline along and see how it ends, and who cares what trinkets get handed out at the end. BC came out, and despite playing a Belf through to 70 and a Draenei to close to 60, it all just began to seem like the endless repetition that there’d been back on the PvP server. So, a couple of months back I just stopped logging on, and I can’t see myself buying the new expansion. I don’t think WoW holds anything for me anymore. Granted, I made a lot of good friends playing the game, and had a whale of a time for over two years, the emphasis on repetition, grinding rep for hours on end, making mountains of gold and complete lack of change to the formula have put me off I think for keeps now.
    Ok, I know it might seem unfair to expect so much, but some variation might be nice, a few more breaks for the casual and solo players, more support for roleplayers (who even on roleplay servers are surrounded by leetspeaking foulmouthed kids who do nothing but break the rp server policies but nothing ever gets done about it) and something to do at the endgame other that grind rep or endlessly raid. I know there has to be a ceiling somewhere, but you hit it in WoW and unless you like grinding, you’re not going to have a howdy-doody day. Blizzard is raking the cash in hand over fist, and they’ll continue to because they make some really high-quality products, but they really need to up the ante with WoW, because if they keep just throwing out more of the same they’ll still have a very appreciative audience, but it’ll dwindle down to the hardcore WoWheads while everyone else moves on to pastures new.

39. anonNY says:

Ian says: “2000 hours of your life down the pan. For what ?
    You could have helped someone using that time.
    You idiot.”

Dear Ian,

Instead of spending time telling people what they should and should not be doing, why not just go out and help people?
    Do you have any hobbies that do not involve feeding the homeless? If so, then I suggest you review your statement on this blog in light of your own life…

– Nordhammar, Scarlet Crusade server

40. Stonie104 says:

It worries me when people say how much time they spend on the game and that there rl suffers dramaticly because of it ive been playing nine months now and still enjoy the game probably because I cherish my rl and like other forms of escape (reading,films ect….) I do them in moderation, the game frustrates me on occasion but no more then an awfull film or a bad ending to a good book, I enjoy the community side of it and love doing instances with friends and also enjoy questing, so the new expansion offers more of what i enjoy, I think the key is not to get so bothered about something which has no real hold over you, like many have said, if you dont enjoy it stop, the second I stop enjoying wow that is wat I will do, and the second I start reading blogs and new information about wow even though I dont play it will be the day I realise I cant dislike the game that much, or I need proffesional help.

41. txcangel says:

i lvl’ed a druid up to 60 pre-TBC, and i had lots of fun doing just that. – lvl’n – i like the way the skills are given to you (although i always thought training fees are lame, since – logically – the trainers would be interested in seeing their side of the war gain stronger allies) due to the time in between, you have a plenty of time, to first drool over the awsomeness of whatever skill you just gained. then learn how to use it appropriately.. then integrate it into your playing style. and then gaining new skills and do it again :)

i like the 5-man instances pre-TBC (havent ever tried playing in outland) because the 5 mans are less… involving… socially speaking ofc, since the 5 mans are often played with randoms it means that i dont have to socialize… ofc i want to socialize, i wil do just that, and it also how i’ve gained my best wow-friends (call em that, since thats what they are, and nothing else) i rarely speak to these people about my social life, since my social life mainly contains people that they never met/never will meet…
    so i all i could tell them about whoever, would be a onesided view, and thus pointless imo… (funny how that statement always seem to contradict itself)

i liked helping low lvl’s since they gave me a somewhat varied image of people ig… for example WoW told me that most people are nice.. yet still alot of assholes exists… as for the assholes, they got their run, and never-more… but the friendlies got on the friends list the plan was to make alot of people feel like they owed me something, so that they could boost my armada of planned alts.. this never happened, but all the boosting still gave me a good look on the avg wow gamer, and quite a few interesting conversations…

enough about social though.. i guess i got a little too detailed…

when the druid dinged 60, i found myself with nothing to do.. since im the type who enjoy soloing (soloed gnomeregan as lvl 39 druid, hardest thing i ever did) ofc the raiding didnt really speak, to me.. since raiding is either really easy (everything going as planned) or extremely hard (one person messing it up causing everyone to die)
    and being an extreme timesink since being lucky meant getting 2-3 items you needed in a week (contra unlucky, 4 weeks nothing drops) and ofc raiding comes with a huge bill (whatever reference i made to money, im really referring to time spent, since everything in wow costs nothing but time) i was somewhat lucky at that since my sister and her BF really wanted me in their guild (druids was rare at the time, and well.. she likes me :D ) they were willing to pay my bills, so all i had to do was login eveyonce in awhile and join them, when they needed an off/main healer… however that didnt last very long since it quickly became booring…

i wrote all this shite since i got boored… two of my friends are sleeping in the room next to me and im currently waiting for them wake up so i can go do Le Parkour with them :D

and some more completely unrelated stuff!!!
    Parkour is probably the best thing you could ever do to your body, although its also quite a grind, there arent really any endgame and the opportunities are endless since im talking RL

now go play!

42. Duegrom says:

I played WoW for about 2 and half years and saw most of the end game content with my guild during that time. Without doubt WoW set the benchmark for MMO’s but the probelm is is that it hasn’t evolved. In fact TBC proved to me that Blizzard arent actually interested in players like me (pretty obsessive/hardcore) and by your descriptions you either. Bliz I think feel that its far more cost effective to attract more players like your dad, who are less demanding, and probably happier to potter about with a fairly stable gameplay mechanic (sorry If I’m sterotyping here, but hope the point is fair)

Most of the players I know and raided with have since stopped playing or are just killing time waiting for Age of Conan to arrive so we can go back to raiding again. Because if AOC doesnt deliver I cannot see another MMO on the horizon that might offer something to those of us who love MMO’s but want something more than Blizz can or will deliver for WoW.

43. Bishop says:

Bit late to the party, but I ws looking for a bit of fellowship in those that quit the game being fresh out of the game myself.
    The game to me was too much rinse and repeat raid encounters, they did not add any new dynamic to the game, and looking ahead at the raid strategies for t6 and beyond, I realized that the game did not have anything ‘new’ to show me.
    Much of the ‘old guard’ is gone. Many of the raiders and guild leaders have never set foot into BWL, and only go abck to MC because it is easy and somehow ‘nostalgic’ – and this is what saddens me the most. All of the glory of defeating the big 40-man raid instances is wasted on heroic 5 mans and welfare epics.

44. Abul says:

Been there, done that. All the games are SO much alike anymore. That’s why I moved on too! WoW back in the day was awesome. Fantastic was the word we used to use. I too am looking forwards to the cubs work. If hhe is anything like his father he will keep our attention for many years to come.