More PotBS talk. The game is FUN!

Seems the PotBS stress test to beta access is indeed true. I was able to log on last night and play on the beta server, which was a nice surprise. After a little more time with the game, this time as a Pirate captain, I’m liking PotBS more and more. It just has that careless fun factor to it, on a solid base of good performance and looks.

I finally got out of the starting town with my pirate and made my way into the open sea. At first it seems like a very busy place, with ships racing all over your screen, some NPC and some PC. You can engage the NPC ships at will; these are the ‘random mobs’ that we find in other MMOs. As far as I can tell, you have the option to fight the NPC ships, but perhaps at higher levels they become aggressive and attack you. Engaging a ship places you in the same ship to ship battle you experience in missions, so no major shock there, which is good.

I made it to another port, where I had to meet with an NPC to continue a quest chain. It was interesting to see the other port, as its style and layout was very different from the port you start in. Overall I like the layouts, as they are well crafted while not being too big. This lets you run from trainers to shops to quest givers quickly. The mini-map is also excellent in this regard, clearly showing you important quest points.

After you complete a mission, a survey will (randomly?) pop up, with a few simple questions and finally a comment box, asking you how you liked the mission; it’s difficulty, story, and how you would rate it. I found this approach to user feedback excellent, as the survey was always quick to fill out, and goes directly to Flying Labs. No need to log into a message board, or write an email, or use complicated beta forms. Flying Labs does all that for you, and all you need to do is spend a minute or two and give them some feedback. I’m guessing because of this easy approach, they are getting a lot of data on what players like and dislike about the missions and the game overall, which can only result in a better product come launch. Hats off to them for that!

I’m sure more will be said about PotBS here as I continue to play. After a somewhat lukewarm start, I’m starting to get into PotBS and what it’s all about. Tonight I plan to install it on my other, less powerful comp and see how that goes. That comp had major issues with EQ2, runs WoW at 60 FPS in everything but a raid, and worked decent enough with LoTRO, so I’m very curious to see how it handles PotBS. Oh, and I also have to convince the gf to play it, if I decide to continue with it at launch. To quote Bill Belichick “Give it a chance”. (In reference to Randy Moss playing for the Pats, before the season started. I think that one worked out ok, unless you passed on him in fantasy…)

7 Responses to More PotBS talk. The game is FUN!

1. tenfoldhate says:

I’m glad to be hearing positive things about people’s preliminary experiences in this game. My excitement level about PoTBS ebbs and flows, and right now I’m pretty enthusiastic about it.

2. Concerned says:

Not sure how the NDA stands because I haven’t gone into beta, but are you sure you’re able to blog about your Pirates experience?

3. LadyPao says:

I’m not sure what’s going on with the NDA either, but over on Massively, they tossed it to the sharks and did a nice piece on the very complex crafting and economy:

There’s also a fluff piece with one of the FLS devs on the site somewhere, so maybe they got permission to ‘go deep and public’ on the game mechanics.

I’m having an issue with ‘rubberbanding’ while in sea battles- ship will start moving, and then ‘snap back’ into place, along with the NPC ships appearing and disappearing randomly. A /tell to the GM du jour and she appeared ‘on ship’ in my instance to assist. Turns out it’s a ‘known issue’ (which is annoying, as it wasn’t there in Stress Test I), and there’s a fix that entails me going into .ini files and fiddling, or a router firmware flash (??), neither of which I’ve done yet. I was impressed by the quick response to my /tell tho.

And I’m intrigued enough to go be a good little beta tester and alter my .ini file and try the sea battle again. When they work, they really are ‘super fun’ and I’m already lusting for a small sleek fast ship with some crippling talents for running goods thru PvP territory. I think the crafting and economy will be pretty intense.

Tell the gf that you have a chick reader of your blog who’s liking PotBS- maybe that will get her ‘on board’!

4. Concerned says:

Actually, Massively had permission to write that article. One of the community relations directors wrote about it in the comments section on Tobold’s blog (link: https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=5584578&postID=645104850123890142&isPopup=true&pli=1 ).

This is what he said:

Troy ‘Aether’ Hewitt here, Director of Community Relations for Flying Lab Software and Pirates of the Burning Sea. I wanted to pop in and assure everyone that we are in fact working with our friends at Massively, the information they’ve published on their site was approved by our offices well before it was published.

The concern is certainly appreciated, and many thanks are due the folks at Massively for writing such a great article.

Best,
    Troy

5. Keen says:

The NDA is still up. =\

6. syncaine says:

You sure Keen? On the official forums I saw a post by a dev in the regulare (not beta) section stating it was ok to talk about gameplay… I’ll have to go try and find that post…

7. Concerned says:

Well, whether it’s up or not, I still think it’s a good idea to scrap the post or something. You know, just in case. You can always have it saved somewhere for posting later.