First take on the 1/29 announcement by Mythic.

It’s 1/29, and as expected Mythic has announced their plans for Warhammer Online. First good job on actually hitting the date as promised, something not all MMO developers have mastered yet. Second, it’s going to take a bit of time to really analyze the new info, but so far nothing majorly surprising has been announced, and that personally is a bit disappointing.

I mean we basically knew the Slayer and Choppa were coming, and while I’m sure they will be awesome classes and really help add more of a melee focus to WAR, their inclusion was expected. Still, I’m glad Mythic scrapped the Hammerer and went with the Slayer, it just makes more sense. These two classes are also mirrors, which means for the first time since release we will be seeing a new class mechanic at work. The previous two classes were mirrors of already existing mechanics.

I found the announcement of the new RvR dungeon interesting, in that Mythic called it the spiritual successor of Darkness Falls from Dark Age of Camelot. The reason I find this interesting is it’s an outright admission that WAR is heading towards DAoC 2.0, rather than continue with their resistance to copy DAoC and try something new. Refining the DAoC formula makes a lot of sense, and should make everyone happy. That more than anything might be the best news to come out of the announcement for me.

Each live event has been better than the one before it in WAR, and if that trend continues, the next few months should really be interesting. Another event-exclusive scenario is a major plus, especially if it’s of the same quality as Riekland Factory was. Mythic is really cranking out content for WAR, given the number of scenarios already in the game, and now a second event scenario being added. At this rate, WAR will have added more come-and-go scenarios by the end of the year than WoW has added in five, which is impressive considering their quality and price (free).

My slight disappointment is that nothing really shocking was announced. No major overhaul of keeps or the current RvR areas, no update on the RvR Fame system, nothing really ‘out of left field’. Perhaps the announcement was limited to focusing on just the new stuff, and more will be said later, but if this is it, it’s a bit underwhelming. More to come I’m sure, but I wanted to get some first impressions out.

8 Responses to First take on the 1/29 announcement by Mythic.

1. Bonedead says:

Do you think you would be less underwhelmed had Mythic not sent out the gift hints?

2. xXJayeDuBXx says:

I am excited for the new careers that are coming. But the announcement is less ‘Expansion’ and more like really excellent content that fans have been expecting.

3. DOW says:

Looks like a good content lineup for the first half of 2009. Hopefully we’ll see some patch notes soon to see what they’re changing/tweaking with the existing content.

4. heartless_ says:

I agree, disappointing. However, they didn’t say anything that is going to hurt the game, which is a good thing.

The only part they missed was stating that end-game performance was still their #1 priority.

5. syncaine says:

Well I totally understand leaving out “fixing broken stuff” in a press release. That said, they do need to say SOMETHING about improving what they already have and how they plan to do it. That’s why I was disappointed they said nothing about the keep revamp, I thought that was kind of a given, but maybe its going to take more time then they are comfortable announcing now.

If we assume the game is going to continue to improve like it has, then this announcement is excellent. More places to fight, more classes to fight with, the best dungeon in MMO gaming being brought back, all awesome stuff.

6. Werit says:

Mark said he is working on a detailed post right now. I’m guessing it has to do with patch 1.1.1,1.2 and other non-future content stuff.

7. DOW says:

Mark’s post is up on the Herald. Pretty much goes over the expected stuff.

Patch 1.2 will be in the PTS within a couple of weeks and appears to be pretty broad, like 1.0.6 and 1.1. We’ll get our first looks with the various revamps then.

8. Andrew says:

What they said.

Also, Mark mentioned in pasing something about keep updates, which I’m hoping means more than just the giants/fire cannons. Perhaps destructible walls, different entrance ways, etc…