Playing in our sandbox

Take a short break from the MMO martyr Crusade of the Miserable, Inquisition decided to play around in our DarkFall sandbox and just have some fun. (don’t worry, we were calling everyone the N word and talking non-stop about how WoW sucks while doing so, we have street cred to maintain!)

The origin of this fun was somewhat unexpected and random. We built scaffolding in our guilds hamlet (it was cheap, so we figured why not), which to our surprise created a two story wooden skeletal structure in the middle of our town. On it’s own it does little to nothing for our towns ‘power’ or ‘stats’.  Since the thing was screaming at us “American Gladiators”, we decided to have a little naked newb-weapon only combat tournament. The rules were rather simple: four people start at the top level, last one standing wins the round. If you miss a jump or just run off and hit the ground, you are out. Magic was limited to non-regent spells.

Going against all rules of a ‘polished’ MMO, level/gear/time was not a factor here, and everyone was more or less at the same power level; winning came down to good PvP skill and getting a little lucky with how many people decided to beat on you. As the four combatants were going at it, the rest of the guild sat on top of our hamlet merchant tent and watched while cheering on vent. After four preliminary rounds, we had a final with the four winners, and from my perspective it was clear the final four were some of our top PvP guys. It’s always fun to watch people at the top of their craft, and it’s a great way to learn how to get better.

The ladder tourney winner, Raw Dawg

The ladder tourney winner, Raw Dawg

After the winner (Grats Raw Dawg) was announced (and subsequently killed by “someone” firing a mana missile at them while they cheered), we had a mass free-for-all. Grats to Rajow Clawed for winning that in a very close finish.

Once the dust had settled,  I came up with another “American Gladiators” style game, dodge the mana missile. Everyone from the guild got on the wooden structure or surrounding wall, one person stood in the middle, and the game was to see how long they would survive with everyone shooting mana missiles at them. The first contestant lasted a grand total of 9 seconds, lit up in a hail of glowing blue spheres. Later contestants lasted longer, as people worked on juke moves and figured out that parrying with a shield actually helped a little. No one survived long enough to have all the shooters run out of mana (I came close, but at that time we had less shooters, so it was not exactly a fair comparison)

View of the contestant in our mana missile game

View of the contestant in our mana missile game

All pointless stuff, but amazingly fun and great for our guild community. We then proceeded to gear up and go gank some elves down south, as we had spent far too much time away from our Crusade of the Miserable. The ganking went well; soloers and small groups died, we ran into some allies, had a few staring contests with enemy groups, and everyone came out alive and mounted.

A sample of the mana missile barrage

A sample of the mana missile barrage

16 Responses to Playing in our sandbox

1. Natali says:

This is the first of the game that I’ve seen that has intrigued me. And I laughed at “(and subsequently killed by “someone” firing a mana missile at them while they cheered)”… heehee

2. Werit says:

Couldn’t the scaffolding be used to put archers on with shield types near the ramps (Im guessing there is collision detection)?

3. Paragus says:

When your on the phone, you can’t hear the command to stop shooting :(

4. syncaine says:

Haha I was the one who killed Raw Dawg with the single mana missile after the ladder tourney on purpose. You killed him when he was in full scale with those two riders in the background :)

@Werit: Yea full collision detection. It could be useful, no doubt, but we put it up randomly.

5. I can’t wait to get in there!! I hope they release some more copies this week.

6. SleepySam says:

These darkfall write ups (by lots of bloggers) continue to draw a smile. Hmm.

7. Beau says:

So let me get this straight…

…naked young men, shooting missles at each other..having a free-for-all?

I mean, not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I am reminded of why I stayed out of my high-school locker room to watch the girls do jumping jacks.

Beau

8. Paragus says:

What can I say? We know how to throw a mean sausage party! :)

9. Beau says:

Hey what’s this I’m hearing about the developers coming up with the whole ” WoW tourist” thing?

Beau

10. Ralex says:

I believe that syncaine has copyright of the term “WoW tourist” ;)

11. Beau says:

No, I’m pretty sure the developer came up with that to draw in ex-WoW players, that had become sick of “noobs” and players that “didn’t know how to play their class.”
    It’s ironic that DF probably took most of their players from the very game they attempted to make fun of.

12. Beau says:

Doh, sorry, (posting from office) I forgot to say how much I dig the “no floaty names.” Granted, almost every MMO out there allows you to do this already, but it’s cool that no one can turn em on.

Beau

13. Bonedead says:

Yeah Beau it just sucks when there’s a huge ass fight. I don’t know how many times I’ve almost killed a teammate because he looked like the guy I was fighting that ran behind me.

14. syncaine says:

This is actually why DF encourages smaller fights. If you are in a party with someone, you see a little icon above there character at all times. It’s the only form of identification in the game other than having your crosshair identify someone, and it’s HUGE when fighting other people.

It’s the small details that really make DF above just “lolz sandbox gank fest”.

15. More copies going on sale starting next Monday, March 30th @ noon eastern time!

I’ll be camping the account page trying to get a copy! Goodluck to all those still trying to get in the game.

16. Tallon says:

hah, sounds like it was a blast.