Expansion day is here for DarkFall!

Ah patch day, a time for all those with a little too much time to swarm the forums, for the devs to order pizza and prepare for the worst, and for everyone to wonder exactly wtf DarkFall is going to look like tomorrow. Because unlike most MMO patches (or paid expansions for that matter), this update to DarkFall not only brings some updates to graphics and animations, bug fixes and balance changes, but also changes to critical existing systems (siege, AoE magic hit detection) and new systems/features altogether (sea towers, player vendors, roaming wildlife). Plus who can say what a seemingly minor change like altered geography or wall placement might do for the future value of certain real estate.

Until the official patch notes are released, it’s also not known if EVERYTHING has been previewed already, as just yesterday a short video was released showing new idle animations (using an orc female?) and earth magic spell effects. In-game last night saw a storm of siege activity, as clans/alliances made some last minute attempts to capture territory before the unpredictable changes arrive, and now all that is left is to wait and see what post-CtS DarkFall is all about.

Lets go AV, update already!

(DarkFall-related post disclaimer/reminder. If you click the image link near the top-right of this page and buy a DarkFall account, I get paid 20% of the client cost. If you believe this taints my views and reporting on DarkFall, your opinion is wrong.)

39 Responses to Expansion day is here for DarkFall!

1. Malakili says:

On the flip side, I am kind of interested in seeing how something new plays out like this. Usually people are SO well prepared for this sort of thing that by the time the thing is released “live” it just becomes a mathematically exploitation of the mechanic to your best advantage, which is also kind of lame.

I think the fact that it’s free negates the first point. It’s not like you have to hunt down every spotlight and twitter feed to know if spending $40 on the expansion is going to be a worthwhile investment. Plus I think they will put up an expansion website like they did for the first one, that was a really nice move.

• Matt says:

Negates the first point? What?

And then you follow it up with, “Plus I think they will put up an expansion website like they did for the first one, that was a really nice move.”

What are you saying? It’s not silly to wonder what’s being added to the game, but it’s a nice move to tell players what was added to the game?

This is an example of the hollow, nonsensical ‘content’ you provide. Why not just agree that it would be nice if they aggregated the changes instead of trying to spin Malakili’s comment into an ‘Aventurine is awesome’ point of view?

What part of “it’s free” was difficult to grasp? If you are playing DF now, later today you will be playing CtS, whether you know all the changes or not. If you MUST know the changes, do some research. If you can’t be bothered, wait for the website. What part of that is spin or trying to make AV look good? I was just pointing out that the previously free expansion (after it’s release) got a website to view the changes.

And until the expansion is actually out, even AV does not know exactly what will be included. So instead of releasing patch notes or a website early, either with incomplete info (like only the big points) or ‘all’ the info that later might not be accurate, they spotlight things as they go to give the more obsessed fans something to read, and then once the code is ‘final’ they create the website for everyone else.

• Matt says:

So then tell me, why was it a ‘really nice move’ to put up that website? What was good about aggregating the information?

The fact that it’s free is irrelevant. Am I allowed to complain that guard towers are being buffed? Or is that point negated because it’s free? What points of view are not negated by the ‘it’s free’ excuse?

It was a nice move because previous to it, AV’s method of communication was to give a few scraps of patch notes a few days after a patch. Just like the Spotlight is nice because previous to it the only info coming out of AV was “we just changed this to that”, no details or explanation, and now we not only get stuff in advanced, but with more detail. I find that nice. Cancel your account and let them know you find the lack of a website so egregious.

• Matt says:

So you agree with Malakili that access to expansion information is nice. Instead of taking his approach of a small criticism of Aventurine, though, you choose to look at it as Aventurine improving. You find it nice that you now receive patch information in advance, and with more detail. Is not aggregation a simple, logical step in the same direction?

My position has nothing to do with Aventurine’s method of communication. It has everything to do with you being unable to let even a tiny criticism of Darkfall stand as a criticism, even when you agree with it. You talk in a circle and cloud the issue to eventually reveal that you have the exact same desire as Malakili except that, from your point of view, the criticism is negated by the irrelevant fact that the expansion is free. Further, it shouldn’t be viewed as a negative aspect of Aventurine’s communication, but aspects leading up to it are revered as a ‘really nice move’.

In the end, you only compare Darkfall with other MMOs when it’s convenient. When it’s inconvenient you compare Darkfall with its former self. What’s it like always having your opinion called into question?

You really are trying too hard here, luckily for you it’s a slow day at work right now.

“So you agree with Malakili that access to expansion information is nice.”

Ding. Hence I like the Spotlights, and enjoy the twitter stuff (just wish it was not on twitter. Hey look, a DF criticism).

“Instead of taking his approach of a small criticism of Aventurine, though, you choose to look at it as Aventurine improving.”

Imagine that, two people with a different take on one event.

“You find it nice that you now receive patch information in advance, and with more detail. Is not aggregation a simple, logical step in the same direction?”

Maybe they will with the 3rd expansion?

“My position has nothing to do with Aventurine’s method of communication.”

I agree here.

“It has everything to do with you being unable to let even a tiny criticism of Darkfall stand as a criticism, even when you agree with it.”

Because AV or DF have never been criticized for anything here on this blog, otherwise how would I be able to support my family from all the profits I make talking them up, right?

“You talk in a circle and cloud the issue to eventually reveal that you have the exact same desire as Malakili except that, from your point of view, the criticism is negated by the irrelevant fact that the expansion is free.”

I guess I’ll try to keep the response shorter for you next time, so as not to cloud anything for you. Hope this is not too cloudy.

And what world do you live in where having information available to you before making a purchase is irrelevant compared to having that same information on something you will receive regardless?

“Further, it shouldn’t be viewed as a negative aspect of Aventurine’s communication, but aspects leading up to it are revered as a ‘really nice move’.”

You can view it however you want, as can everyone else. I was giving, wait for it, my opinion that because this expansion costs you nothing, it’s not like you NEED that info to make a decision (there is no decision to be made), and are forced to track down Spotlights in order to make that decision.

“In the end, you only compare Darkfall with other MMOs when it’s convenient. When it’s inconvenient you compare Darkfall with its former self.”

Actually it would be very convenient to compare DF here with other MMOs. How’s the info flow from AV compared to Blizzard? How many Spotlights or twitter-like posts explaining the WHY have they made for 3.3, and how readily accessible is that information compared to a Spotlight section?

• Adam says:

Why are you raging out about this Matt? Lots of typing…

I wish Aventurine had put out another nice expansion page like the first one. Nice touch.

However the spotlight has been a much better thing overall so I’m not crying about the lack of an expansion page yet.

• Broseph Stalin says:

Matt Malakili wrote “I do wish they would do a bit more than the Spotlight in terms of letting the playerbase know what is coming. Its kind of silly in this day and age to be wondering whats going to be in something being labeled an “expansion.”

To which syncaine responded since it is not a paid addition of content (what most mmo’s term an expansion) in his opinion (he used the term negate- which in his mind it is doing) the spotlight articles and twitter updates are sufficient information. He then states that Aventurine will probably centralize all of the expansion info on a website after launch so players get to see what took place.

In what way is this spinning Malakili’s comment into a “Aventurine is awesome point of view”? He is merely stating his opinions on the way Aventurine releases their major patch information. If you do not want to hear Syncaine’s opinions or the facts he relays about the game this post is titled for, I suggest you get off his blog.

• Andrea Bargs says:

Matt 3, Syncaine 0

The quote below from Matt pretty much sums up Syncaine’s blog:

Maybe consider renaming your blog to something with the words Darkfall? Hardfall Darkcore?

2. willee says:

Nonsense Syncaine! You’re just trying to cover up for all that hollow, nonsensical content you provide!

• Matt says:

So you’re repeating what I said attempting to illustrate that I sound like an idiot? Sweet argument, man.

Have you ever played Portal? Do you remember the final encounter where schoolyard insults are being flung at you as you drop the eyeballs into the incinerator? Your comment reminds me of those insults. Funny stuff, but the joke isn’t directed at whom you might think.

• willee says:

Well, no, i’m not trying to make an argument. so wrong there. and i don’t think you need any help sounding like an idiot.

i never played Portal, but it sounds like i missed a good one if you really got to throw eyeballs into an incinerator!!

hey, at least my insult was short and to the point…keep your insults the same way instead of those wordy nonsensical essays you wrote above and you’ll have a lot more free time for other things you enjoy doing (besides reading blogs you obviously don’t care for). the advice is free and your welcome.

3. Beau says:

Dude, I just bought Fallen Earth. DO NOT make me buy a new account for Darkfall.

Crap, I probably will.

Beau

Why would you buy a new one? Transfer your EU char to NA for free, and when you have time just re-up the NA account and you are all set.

4. Ilcane Nero says:

Darkfall will be a better game tomorrow, the game is improving, that’s a fact.

5. Diametrix says:

I miss Darkfall. I played EU in the spring…then ponied up for NA upon release. I stopped in late August to get back to EVE.

I just recently re-subbed on NA and my system freezes and locks up constantly. AV Tech Support says my system doesn’t meet min specs (I have a 2.4ghz cpu and the min spec is 2.5ghz).

I ran fine all spring and summer. I wonder if the Sept patch didn’t up the min specs some. I just got this computer last year.

Maybe I can upgrade the cpu for less than a new system

6. Beau says:

Oh, when I played before the account was a gift from a friend. They wanted to to return after a few months so I gave it back. I would need to buy myself one.

Yeh yeh I know, rules and stuff. But hey, he offered! lol That 85 dollar 6 month thing looks tempting!

What really interests me is hunting for wildlife. Sounds silly, but that sounds cool. And I’m about to get another nicer PC so playing it won’t be a problem.

So you lied about buying it, you bastard! ZERO CREDIBILITY BLOG RAGE QUIT BRRRAAA.

I’ll be sure to write something about the wildlife and what it brings. Hopefully its a lot more than just animal mobs that spawn and have a longer leash.

• Beau says:

Well, I still paid for a couple months. There have been quite a few games that I mention and someone gives me the account or game.

Beau

7. Knqui says:

Not being able to plan in every single way to take advantage of everything on day 1, sounds like an extremely fun experience to me, and a very interesting social activity as people start seeing the new stuff/changes pop up.

I’m sure it’s not intentional by Aventurine to create this atmosphere, but considering the expansion is free, it’s sort of a moot point how much you know about it, no?

It’s also a shame that since release, people are super quick to hold an indie developer up to the same, intense light as the biggest and richest games company in the world.

• evizaer says:

“Am I the only one who thinks it’s sort of cool; that every nook and cranny of the expansion hasn’t been picked apart by numbercrunchers and file decryption?”

I think it’s a sign that DFO doesn’t have much of a serious following. If the game were bigger, there’d be a test server and thousands of people digging for ever last bit of info about the game. As it stands now, the game serves a small part of a small niche.

• Malakili says:

I think it has a “serious” following, its just a small following. And while I’ve only been playing a couple weeks now, I can’t say I’d rather have the server in its current state than filled to the brim with a bunch of people that are only there because its the next big thing.

Overall DF is a niche game, but you do realize there are more players on the NA server than on any WoW/WAR or whatever server (other than EVE of course) right? So in terms of what actually matters (people you can play with), DF is actually quite large.

• Ragnarok says:

“Serious” following?

Yes, Darkfall has a serious following. A following of mainly adult, mature gamers. If what you mean by “serious following” is a bunch of 13 year old qqing tourists whose only MMO experience is WoW, I think DF can pass on that…

• evizaer says:

13-year-olds don’t do the research and decrypt patches in an attempt to pick apart the most recent patch.

I’m not dissing DFO. I’m just not buying the positivity over a “mysterious” expansion.

8. evizaer says:

The Darkfall gloating is starting to get old. Actually, it has been old for a while. I used to like the content here a bit more before the blog was devoted to repeating your excitement about DFO and how unique and special it is compared to other games. I think we all know at this point.

It’s good that DFO is progressing, though. Maybe I’ll give it another spin in a month or two. Or maybe I’ll never go back to it. Regardless, I’m routing for it to show people that sandbox MMOs besides EVE can have success.

• Ragnarok says:

I don’t understand. You like the writer and the content, but then when he finds a game that he likes and you don’t, you complain?

“That’s it SynCain, time to move on to another game. One of your readers doesn’t enjoy Darkfall.”

I don’t know if you have noticed, but Darkfall is like MMO ecstasy to a lot of us. It’s everything that most MMOs aren’t, and we just can’t stop breathing this fresh air.

I’ve never been so addicted to anything in my life.

• evizaer says:

It’s the gloating. I don’t care if he gives play reports about Darkfall, but he constantly prods at asserting the superiority of his opinion even though liking Darkfall is a matter of taste primarily. There isn’t really argument, just a repetitive string of slight insults that become annoying after a while.

9. Matt says:

@Syncaine

“You really are trying too hard here…”

I know, right. I still haven’t figured out how to debate with someone that uses different standards of logic and doesn’t share the same sense of well-supported opinions. Cutting through the density is actually rather difficult.

It would be incorrect to assume I’m somehow confused by your comments, however much you’d like that to be the case. When I state that you cloud the issue, this isn’t to say that I don’t comprehend your position. You simply make irrelevant points while talking out both sides of your mouth. Your position is not well-supported by the bullshit that accompanies it.

“Imagine that, two people with a different take on one event.”

Indeed. In other words, Malakili’s take on the event is ‘negated’ by neither your opinion nor the fact that other games charge $40+ for an expansion. So we agree that your initial comment was invalid. For what it’s worth, the expansion isn’t free in the technical sense anyway. Darkfall subscribers pay both a monthly fee and the oppurtunity cost of their free time to enjoy this ‘free’ expansion. But, hey, ‘Yay Aventurine!’

As for comparing information flow from Blizzard vs. information flow from Aventurine… please.

Not only are the notes aggregated, but you can get on a test server. If we drag other developers into this? All of this communication occurs in advance of patches going live. So, no, it’s not convenient to compare Darkfall to other MMOs in this case.

Maybe while you watch the progress bar fill as you ‘craft’, you could aggregate Darkfall’s expansion details here so everyone can get a nice estimate of the enormous amount of content added.

For those of you claiming that I am raging out or do not want to hear Syncaine’s opinions, please don’t worry. He enjoys debate and argument. I claimed that he doesn’t actually debate, but simply argues with an air of ignorance and hypocrisy, i.e., trolls. Chances are that I enjoy pointing out his logical fallacies and circles as much as he enjoys just arguing. I do this as calmly and patiently as anyone so, again, don’t worry.

I asked for WHY info, not a list of “Spell X has gained Y%”, but almost. And now to keep this short due to the new Matt rule around here to avoid clouding; when you start to argue a free expansion is not actually free because it takes time to play it, it’s time to stop feeding the troll.

• Xyloxan says:

I don’t believe Matt is serious. He is just teasing SynCaine. Right Matt?

• Ragnarok says:

Damn that Aventurine. Always trying to be different, amirite?

What gets me is that people keep thinking that being different is a bad thing. How intolerant can people get?

Is that what it is, Matt? Do you hate gay people?

Seriously, though. AV does things differently than other developers? NEWSFLASH: They have always done that, have never apologized for it, and are not ashamed of that. I’ve always liked that about them.

But that’s just my opinion.

• willee says:

How dare AV charge us the “opportunity costs” to play their free expansion.

THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!

And all this time i thought that dropping a deuce was free…but i never considered the opportunity costs! Look at all the time i waste sitting on the crapper when i could be doing something i enjoy…this sucks!!

Thanks Matt for taking all the fun out of pooping.

10. brannagar says:

Wow, Matt….

You sure do use “aggregate” a whole lot. I do not think I have seen it used as much in my entire life as it has been used in your few posts.

11. brannagar says:

1. “Why not just agree that it would be nice if they aggregated the changes”

2. “What was good about aggregating the information?”

3. “Is not aggregation a simple, logical step in the same direction?”

4. “Not only are the notes aggregated”

5. “you could aggregate Darkfall’s expansion details here so everyone can get a nice estimate of the enormous amount of content added.”

5 is not 3.