Making the big trade

In a move I’ve been planning for some time now, last night I sold all of my rare ore/ingots for the total price of 130,000 gold, effectively doubling my current gold stash. The trade itself was done at the Sanguine bank (human capital city), and I’ll admit I was a bit paranoid as the trade was happening that something bad would happen. Luckily nothing but the trade went down, and I got my money without incident.

I have a few reasons for making the sale, chief among them the belief that in the next patch/expansion, rare ores won’t be as rare, and prices will decrease. Currently on the NA server rare ore goes for 1,500 gold or more, which makes using weapons/armor that require the ore extremely expensive. Aventurine has hinted that rare ore might have a chance to drop from regular ore nodes, and if that happens then without a doubt prices will drop. Even if that is not the change implemented, I fully believe SOMETHING will be done to make rare ores available to those without city/hamlet mines.

The other reason I made the sale is I don’t really have a use for the ore, at least not in any practical manner. The ore is used to craft rank 50+ weapons and bows, along with Full Plate and better armor, and things like cannons/warhulks. Full Plate I can acquire from Shadow Knights (not as good as crafted, but still decent), or I can farm the Selentine Golem on Yssam to get the ore I need. For PvE rank 40 weapons and crafted scale/plate is more than enough, and I have stockpiled enough rank50+ gear to last quite a while for PvP. Plus my average-at-best player skills don’t warrant bringing out things like rank70s and Infernal/Dragon armor anyway.

My goal for all this cash is to buy a placed house in a decent village to set up a player vendor. As I’ve mentioned a few times, I’ve come close, but for one reason or another I’ve never been able to make the purchase. Now with a healthy bank roll, hopefully that will happen shortly. The other option is to buy a housing deed of some sort and hope a village spot become available, but IMO that right now is a riskier and more long-term solution.

(DarkFall-related post disclaimer/reminder. If you click the image link near the top-right of this page and buy a DarkFall account, I get paid 20% of the client cost. If you believe this taints my views and reporting on DarkFall, your opinion is wrong.)

13 Responses to Making the big trade

1. valkrysa says:

I can definitely imagine your paranoia, but I’m glad it worked out for you and I’m sure Gevlon would be proud :3

2. keystone says:

Do you know if the house rent is still the same regardless of house size? I was hoping they would change that since it makes living in a cottage lame when you’re paying the same as the villa tenant.

3. Beau says:

Hey man, just a side question I have been meaning to ask. I have been asking in game, but cannot find out where to start a trade route.

Any hints (without too many spoilers!)

Beau

They are on your map, in the four corners of Agon (just before the land bridges to the four islands). The map will show you the timer for when one next opens, and you need 500g+ to start.

4. Kyff says:

From your last posts I take it that it’s possible while perhaps not advisable to buy real estate in any corner of the world. Can those cottages and villas be destroyed by other players like player cities and hamlets? This would make them a lot less desirable since it will be hard to defend such property as a single person.

There are dozens of villages all over Agon, with different layouts and house slots. You can place a housing deed (cottage, house, villa, large villa, keep) on any open slot. The houses can’t be damaged, but your craftable front door can be broken down, although once inside you can’t do anything else to a house (other than kill whoever is inside of course).

5. pitrelli says:

Im kinda disappointed it worked out so well, not that I wanted you personally to lose so much but it would be interesting to see what reaction you would have had(not rage quit sense but a the more emotional aspect of it ).

From my short stay in darkfall I was surprised how much those pixels meant to me and after my first few ‘mistakes’ I began questioning my thought process with every decision I made. Its the only MMO I’ve played that has managed to achieve that on such a large scale and even though I dont play it anymore I view my time in Darkfall as time very well spent, it has imo made me a better gamer in the long run and much more open minded to different things.

Well I was trading with an established member of the community, in a spot with double guard tower coverage, my back to the bank, the money placed in the trade window first, and all of ore/ingots in one bag. If something funny had happened, even from one hit double guard towers mean death, and with all the stuff in one bag, it would have been quick and easy for me to put it back in my bank. I ain’t no fool :)

• pitrelli says:

ha you see this is exactly the ‘constantly thinking’ that I alluded to, to be fair however alot of Darkfall is also about improvisation and thinking on your toes however forward planning is never a bad thing.

6. Noob says:

If you just wanted a house, might have considered keeping the Rares and trading it. I am sure there are guilds that have houses that would trade for Rare ores, since those are hard to get, but not for money since money is kinda a joke for any guild to gather up.

But, your decision, congrats it went down without a hitch.