More on Friday’s fighting.

In addition to the great video I linked in the post just below this one, here is another video from Covert Operations that not only shows off more of the action, but also give a brief intro about the war. VAMP was trying to ninja Aradoth when Fatality was disbanding and reforming as Desperate Housewives. Ninja move failed, VAMP holdings went vulnerable, world war happened.

The best part of the CO video is when I’m trying to rest up and regear just after dying outside in the ‘safety’ of Dagamyr, only to have what is shown on the video happen. Bonus points for the guy coming back to kill me a second time when I’m trying to get my gear off my corpse. There was no third time; someone already looted me at that point. So much fail…

It really was a great night though, that little sequence of embarrassment aside. I missed the initial bombing of Aradoth that you see at the beginning, but I was there for all of the fights at Dagamyr, and it really was almost non-stop action for hours, as the Super Friends alliance made attempt after attempt to capture the city. Over a dozen cannons were dropped just at Dag, but the city stone only got down to about 60%. VAMP did end up losing a hamlet on Niflheim (undefended) and the city of Mehatil on Yssam, which was overrun towards the end of the night by the Turtle alliance.

Unlike a few sieges on Niflheim, the fighting at Dag never crippled my FPS below 20, and while I still had a couple of memory crashes, none proved fatal. The performance could certainly be better, and even a single crash is not great, but the DF engine has come a long way since release, or even what it was a few months ago. Hopefully Aventurine can work out the last few bugs and do some optimization in 2010, as I know not everyone was able to run the siege smoothly. The current ‘key’ to performance seems to be whether or not you use on-board sound. If you do, your performance takes a major hit. Luckily I’m running an X-Fi card so I avoid the worst of it.

How this war continues is anyone’s guess. The NA server was having some issues the rest of the weekend, so no immediate follow-up occurred, but now that the SF alliance has a holding on Yssam more fights should break out. It will be interesting to see whether VAMP/NEM tries to retake Mehatil (a city with a foundry for making warhulks), or whether they give up on Yssam and re-focus on mainland Agon.

(DarkFall-related post disclaimer/reminder. If you click the image link near the top-right of this page and buy a DarkFall account, I get paid 20% of the client cost. If you believe this taints my views and reporting on DarkFall, your opinion is wrong.)

9 Responses to More on Friday’s fighting.

1. victorstillwater says:

I must say, I’m not a fan of PVP, but the music and the action on the last post really made me want to play the game. Alas, it’s a bit too rich for my blood at the moment though.

2. Der Nachbar says:

Hehe, although it just looks like a huge mess it also seems to be some messy fun yaa ;)
    And poor SynCaine was backstabbed while resting, made me chuckle ;)

3. keystone says:

@ Victor

I’m by no means the best PvP’er around- at least not in any game since Ultima Online when I had my teenage reflexes, but I digress. You can avoid tons of PvP is you play smart; the trick is to just be paranoid and always watch your back. If you can see someone approaching you, then you can mount up and bolt.

Most people won’t chase you past a certain point, and as long as you have enough food and stamina pots, then you can ride for a very long time. All mounts are the same speed, so other than lag, they have no way to catch you.

Now, this doesn’t mean you won’t die, but if you play smart then you can minimize your losses.

The game is really great and definitely worth the entry fee.

• victorstillwater says:

Hi Keystone.

Thanks for the tip.

Right now, I probably won’t be playing Darkfall not because of the PVP (which is actually kind of exciting to me as it’s something I don’t normally do), but because there’s no way for me to accurately test my connection against the game.

The Fallen Earth trial taught me that some games may not support my country veyr well, so I want to make sure of that before I do anything related to spending real money. :)

4. sid67 says:

I gotta admit, this baffles me. I can understand wanting to avoid getting ganked or pwned by someone better than you, but why play a PvP based game if you want to avoid PvP?

• willee says:

I’d think he means when the odds are stacked against you, or you have other goals in mind at that time like PvE or you’re loaded down with goodies and want to get to a bank instead of risking it all in a PvP fight etc.

Just because you’re playing a PvP game or like PvPing doesn’t mean that is your #1 goal at all times to be in a dog fight with another PC.

• sid67 says:

Ah.. OK. Misread it I think. It was the comment about not having the twitch skills he did when he was a teenager that threw me for a loop.

• keystone says:

@ Sid67

I typically only PvP when I’m geared up and ready for a fight- does this mean I only fight when the odds are in my favor, no; however, I’m not going to rush into a situation where it’s almost certain death, especially if I’m carrying valuable goods. The comment was more towards those that have no desire to PvP and how they can avoid it and still find value with the rest of the games’ offerings.

Darkfall actually has a good crafting system and the PvE is entertaining (to me, and others that play- your mileage may vary).