DarkFall Trial, for real.

Aventurine has announced that DarkFall now has a trial account option. It’s not a totally free account, as you will have to pay $1 (or euro) for 7 days of access, but that is a good step taken to prevent potential free trial abuse. Be nice and click my Community Publisher link in the top left, as I will get credit for any trial that converts to a full purchase.

If you have ever wanted to give DarkFall a shot, here is your chance. Get off the fence and get into Agon. Just don’t come crying here when the first goblin kills you, you have been warned. My in-game name is Syncaine Godhand, feel free to send a tell.

37 Responses to DarkFall Trial, for real.

1. Slurms says:

Very cool!

Figures it happens just after I start playing it lol

2. Werit says:

Now I just need the time to give it a fair shot.

3. Ravious says:

This is getting more and more on my radar, but my life isn’t going to let me play this intense game right now.

4. Lazzar says:

Finally, this is what I’ve been waiting for! This, plus the newbie patch that was released lately is a totally ‘go’ for me.

Soon ™ I’ll be starting getting owned by goblins and grievers and what not.
    Can’t wait!

5. victorstillwater says:

I have some questions about the trial.

First, do you need to pay before downloading the client? I’m afraid that it might take seven days to download the game client at my speed, so paying a buck for a few hours of remaining game time seems like a waste.

• Anonymous says:

no, you can download client first and activate the trial afterwards. Unfortunately patching is only possible after you log in so download the newest client to minimize the patching.

6. Paragus says:

If you have been sitting on the fence, there is now no excuse to not try the game. You won’t find 1 week of entertainment for this cheap anywhere.

7. pitrelli says:

I have mixed feelings about this trial stuff, dont get me wrong I played and enjoyed Darkfall but I can just see a mass influx of players who will spend 2-4 hours max in there then come out and bad mouth it.

I really hope that doesnt happen but …well you know us tourists ;)

• sid67 says:

I’m looking forward to bad mouthing it!

It still costs $1, are you sure you are ready for such a large commitment?

• pitrelli says:

‘I’m looking forward to bad mouthing it!’

I’d laugh but you are probably being serious.

Meh, I dont mind as Im a single minded kind of guy and like to form my own opinion but I’m aware other people take some opinions as gospel and it irks me. Ah well hope it works out for the devs.

I’ll add, good choice on the $1 charge imo.

• sid67 says:

LOL. No really, I am looking forward to giving it a try this weekend.

I think I even called it a welcome surprise in today’s blog entry.

That’s not to say that I won’t end up bad mouthing it, but at least I’ll be bad mouthing it with a week’s experience:)

And ya, I agree the $1 charge is a smart and simple way to get rid of a lot of problems associated with Trial accounts. I think I even suggested something like that on this blog at some point.

8. Trippin Ninja says:

Slurms, Im right there with ya buddy. I finally bit the bullet and bought a copy last weekend. I still have 11 hours left on my player protection buff. I wish I had known this was right around the corner.

I hope the starting areas don’t get over crowded now. After a few hours on Allods with the g/f last night I was ready to pull my hair out. There was more players than mobs in some areas. I would hate to see this happen in the goblin camps around starter areas. Hopefully some time on DFatlas will help me avoid the crowd if needed.

Even on EU launch, which was swamped with new players, the starting areas were in much better shape than something like Allods. Each race has three starter cities, and each starter area has at least three separate goblin spawns, plus the newly added Kobold spawns. Finding a non-empty iron node close to a starter city might be tough, but that’s about it really. I am curious to see what those areas look like tonight though, I’m expecting to see a lot of little halo icons running around and race chat to contain “how do I rest” every minute or so.

9. Andrea Bargs says:

Great for the game. We’ll see if this tips the scale in terms of attracting more players to try/play it.

If I notice a jump in population in “my” npc city, I’ll let you know : )

10. Zitron says:

What a painful way to spend a euro.

Every little bit of the hairstyle selection is tragic and trying to get good looking eyebrows is impossible because of wonky controls. Unbelievably to do anything with your characters appearance at all (and this includes facial expression, shoulder width and facial tattoos) you have to stand still. It isn’t totally clear whether this was a decision or a design oversight but it doesn’t quite work.

I also discovered a game breaking bug on the sixth day of my seven day trial. I accidentally pressed some random button combination and the game crashed. Instead of the normal dressing room scene the screen changed to bland looking pasture scene where a six foot wolf man called BarBArIaX WooFKilLer appeared out of nowhere and killed me! WTF is that all about?

11. Dblade says:

EVE 14 day free trial. 500k active population currently.
    Darkfall 7 day $1-3 trial(factoring in Euro cost) 6-10k total population per server.

Aventurine really should have just made it 7 day free. The price isn’t much, but a trial competes with other trials for attention, and even something as simple as a low cost may act as a barrier.

Interesting the game needs to hit the free trial trough in 6 months though, I guess sub 10k populations aren’t as sustainable as thought.

The game has been out for a year now, and every time someone quotes a forum posts (wrong) math about population, it basically lets everyone else know to ignore you. Google again why those server pop numbers are silly and come back.

• sid67 says:

I disagree. I’ve been waiting for a Trial for 6 months. $1 is not a big deal and it eliminates a lot of the problems associated with Trial accounts. And if you are really interested in trying a game, paying $1 is not much of an expense.

• Bhagpuss says:

Depends if you want to give them your CC details or not. I might send them a Euro by mail, I have plenty left over from my last trip to Spain :)

Seriously, I would like to take a look at Darkfall at some point and this gives me the option. I’m not going to do it now, too much else going on, but later in the year when I have a spare week and nothing I’m dug into I’ll give it a try.

• Dblade says:

its been out for 8 months, and part of that involved splitting its population over two servers. If I am wrong about population, post figures. I can only go by what is out there.

DF was released Feb 26th, and since no one has the pop numbers, using some flawed calculation off a message board is about as useful as Xfire stats.

• Adam says:

@dbblade

Are you new to the whole mmo thing?

The $1 isn’t for the dollar to Aventurine (though that’s a good thing for them).

It’s so they can ban you and your credit card for goldspamming etc.

• Dblade says:

adam, how can you RMT farm in a full loot PVP game with no safe spots? In a game with a population smaller than Hello Kitty Online?

Even in games like champions online or EVE I rarely see RMT spam, I honestly doubt DF would see any RMT gain from this over games with enough of a population and no pvp.

• sid67 says:

You might be right about the RMT, but that doesn’t stop people from using trials to test out auto-aim hacks, bots, or generally pull some other crap to grief players anonymously.

A $1 charge might not eliminate it, but it’s a significantly greater obstacle than a mere email address that can be used to create a throwaway account.

• Adam says:

@dblade

Wrong. Darkfall has a pretty active gold market.

Anecdotally I’ve heard of at least 2 stoner kids -living- on their earnings.

Throwaway alts as mules and farmers are the same in any game.

As long as you can open trade you can use the alt for something in the process.

Full looting helps this but thats more of an overhead cost in some of the farmers I’d guess.

12. Carson says:

This is fine news, SynCaine, I’ve been curious as hell but I’ve not been willing to drop the fifty bucks straight up – largely for technical reasons, my machine isn’t exactly new, and while it runs most things perfectly fine, I don’t spend money on newer games without verifying that it can handle them.

The one buck fee is clever, too – it’s zero disincentive to me to try the game (a lousy buck? who cares!) and if it makes potential trial abuse controllable, all the better.

Downloading now (and let me tell you, the torrent is busy busy busy and cruising nicely), hopefully this weekend I’ll have enough free time to give it a good shot.

13. victorstillwater says:

by the way Sycaine, are you on NA or EU server? :)

14. xXJayeDuBXx says:

Well, looks like I will be downloading the trial tonight when I get home.

15. Ardwulf says:

I’ll likely be looking into it as well.

16. Scott M. says:

Downloading now, Syncaine. I’ll probably see you in CoW vent if you join us to show us the ropes.

17. Kong says:

Lol i cant wait cut off ur head and stuff lol and penis

18. Inktomi says:

Syncaine,

I understand that you get 20 of the DF sub if someone signs up through your blog. This is me giving you a chance to earn some loot from me. Two questions if you would kindly answer them.

1) Ok, lets say I take the DF plunge and pay the $1 for 7 days. Seven days later I love it; Now am I still paying $49.99 for the client and getting the 30 free subscription month?

2) Ok, lets say I take the DF plunge and pay the $1 for 7 days. Seven days later I hate it; Now am I still paying stuck paying the $49.99 for the client. Basically, is the trial risk free?

Frank

Yes for 1, you convert your trial account to a full account and continue playing the character you created in the trial.

No for 2, the trial is risk-free beyond the initial $1.