Interview with NEW leadership and DF Trial tips.

Over at his MMORPG.com blog, Paragus Rants has put together a nice interview with clan NEW leadership about their general goals, and how best to take advantage of the new trial being offered in DarkFall. A good read for anyone still unsure about DarkFall, or for anyone interested in learning more about NEW and how they operate.

(DarkFall-related post disclaimer/reminder. If you click the image link near the top-right of this page and buy a DarkFall account, I get paid 20% of the client cost. If you believe this taints my views and reporting on DarkFall, your opinion is wrong.)

10 Responses to Interview with NEW leadership and DF Trial tips.

1. sid67 says:

I’ve had some questions about the alignment system as it relates to Race. Is one race better than another?

I understand that intrinsically there is little difference, but if everyone is a Dwarf than it might suck to be an Ork (as an example).

Or maybe it would be better to be an Ork because there are more people to kill that will raise (not lower) alignment.

I also know that race plays a factor in which cities you can visit and such but I haven’t seen anything about whether certain races have more cities or whatever.

If you want to stay blue and have access to NPC cities, having more enemies is a plus for PvP (so in this regard Alfar are best, although they are also the second-most popular race after humans). Then again, if you DON’T want a ton of PvP targets (or to be the target), being a human/dwarf/merdain means you will run across more blue players than anyone else. They can of course still kill you, but if someone is trying to stay blue, you have a higher chance of them leaving you alone as a popular race/alliance.

As for as NPC cities, I believe all races are equal in this regard. Three stater cities, one capital, and some other cities or wilderness banks with towers. Once you are out of a races area, you won’t run across their tower-protected cities (so there are no human NPC cities in Ork lands, the middle of Agon, or the four sub-continents).

Overall though the importance of access to NPC cities depends on your goals and playstyle. If you plan to join a clan with a city, that city has everything an NPC city offers besides quests. If you want to stay within your races area and be protected by towers, obviously you need to stay blue, but going from a bit red to blue is not that big a deal anyway (going from -99 to 10 would take a while though, assuming someone was willing to let you alignment farm them. The alignment system is sorta broken in that way too).

• sid67 says:

OK. But wouldn’t Alfar have access to less NPC because they are neutral with less cities?

True, in the sense that Humans can also enter Dwarf and Merdain NPC cities. How helpful that really is vs being red to more people is debatable I guess, and again depends on what you want to do in-game (PvE and quest vs clan warfare).

• Adam says:

So the “broken” thing to me about the alignment system.

I’m human and in a good pvp guild.

I don’t raid npc cities ever. So I’m not intentionally killing people that are newbs or hanging out in npc cities as their playstyle.

We raid other guilds and they raid us. We kill people that are out running around as we move between areas we are raiding.

There are enough blues in these -hostile- forces that my alignment stays at -90+ ALWAYS. It absolutely not an option not to kill them.

There is effectively no way for me to remain blue even though I think by most players definition I’m “good”.

An outgrowth of this is that I have NO reason not to kill anything I see, there is no downside since I’m red forever anyway.

2. victorstillwater says:

Thanks for the link! I was looking for some new info regarding darkfall.

I’ve been writing introspective posts on my blog about it too, so this should give me a better perspective on things. :)

3. victorstillwater says:

Hi Syncaine. sorry to bother you about such a trivial thing, but I wanted to ask about the command for taking screenshots in Darkfall.

Is there a specific key to use for that purpose? Someone said printscreen then open paint and paste, but that sounds dangerous, then someone else told me it was ALT+S… so I’m kind confused now. Does alt + S allow me to take screenshots?

Also… where would I find said screenshots after I take them?

I think a recent patch added screenshots, so printscreen should work. It puts the SS into the pictures directory under user accounts in Windows, not in the DF folder. I don’t take SS myself though, so I could be wrong. Try searching the forums if that does not work.

4. Paragus says:

Official screenshot command is ALT+S, but you can turn off the UI before you take them by pressing ALT+H. Screenshots are saved in your documents folder -> pictures -> Darkfall.