Today’s reason to hate the French

Well this is rather sad news.

While I don’t personally care much for the Halo franchise, Marathon and especially Myth were two franchises that were head and shoulders above the rest of gaming in their respective genres (FPS and RTS), and Bungie.net was right there with Battle.net in terms of online matchmaking services, so I’m a bit sad to see a great studio like Bungie get swallowed by the pump-and-dump company. I’m sure the bonuses (the ones you do get to keep) will help easy the transition though.

9 Responses to Today’s reason to hate the French

1. spinks says:

You notice they were careful to make sure they retain ownership of the IP :)

2. Cliff says:

I really enjoyed Myth and Myth II, and have not heard them mentioned in years. Great games!

Nerdy life achievement: I was ranked #1 (Comet) in Myth 2 until the first score reset.

IMO that game beat the pants off of StarCraft in terms of design/tech/skill required, it just never got the pub/hype that SC got.

3. mandrill says:

I’m surprised than any dev is going anywhere near activision at the moment. Kotick is poison and has no respect for the skill and talent that he exploits.

4. KaKTy3 says:

> I’m surprised than any dev is oing anywhere near activision at the moment.

I am surprised you don’t understand any dev, who play in big boys, league wants Gs, which will get you as much respect, street cred and other shit commonners care about.

Disclaimer: I hold ATVI stock.

5. bonedead says:

easy the transition

6. Endo says:

Hi im french, so sorry for that…
    But, is it not the american way of soing business ? ;)
    Btw maybe it means more money for making even bettter games ?

7. Anne says:

Personally, Activision is just a business. Sure they are a bit heartless, not going to deny the fact that Bobby isn’t a very nice guy.

But IW are just as bad. Activision put money into that company so the developers could be millionaries and get their beach-side headquaters. Without Activision IW would be nothing.

It was actually Activision who forced them to do MW2, one of the greatest selling games of all time. Did Activision destroy IW? Maybe, but it was THEIRS to destroy. Either way, the developers at IW were the ones to blame. They had contracts and they went behind Activision’s back. It was them that stuffed in No Russian. And I wouldn’t be surprised if it was them that removed the d-servers for PC (either because of deadlines or because the developers just aren’t into PC anymore).

Anyway, I think the deal is interesting, but personally couldn’t care much about it. Activision has the money to support Bungie, good on them. I never played Bungie games however. But their range seems mediocre at best, nothing really stands out to me.

FYI, Microsoft isn’t much better. Look how much they milked Halo… Activision will most likely do something similar if anything. Why are you worries about this? To me Activision is far more interesting then Microsoft. They were already ‘swallowed up’ by Microsoft.

Seems like mindless ranting about long-lost nostalgia of games you used to like. Gaming studios change, get over it. Ones that were good, get bad and new good ones come up.