I strongly support Blizzard’s RealID

What could possibly go wrong if this fine gentlemen (I know it’s a girl, but damn…) knows your RL name, one that happens to be somewhat unique or she just knows enough about you to put the details together, and he… sorry, she drives her spinner hubcap’ed minivan to your house to chat about why you removed him from the guild?

I’ll tell you what!

Free WoW for the rest of your life my friend! Because after you wake up from your coma and sue the shit out of Mr. “We don’t make games to have fun” Kotick, and assuming WoW still has servers up (hey, a guy can dream right?), you better believe you are going to be sitting on a really sweet VIP account. Granted everyone will know your RL name, and if they then get pissed because they want your VIP account, they might come over and send you back into that coma, but who cares, that VIP account most likely gets you a sparkle pony or some other ‘epic’ loot. Totally worth it IMO.

/large popcorn

Chuck-o-the-day: Chuck Norris fears RealID.

27 Responses to I strongly support Blizzard’s RealID

1. [...] And this, from Hardcore Casual – another good post. See?  I’m not the only one who finds this whole thing supremely [...]

2. mandrill says:

I saw that movie, it was ok.

I look forward to either:
    a) a hasty retreat from Blizztivision/Actitard
    b) Warcraft dying in a monumental PR disaster (and taking Diablo II and Stacraft II with it as the RealID thing extends across the whole of Battle.net)

3. mandrill says:

(that should have been Daiblo III)

4. Sleepysam says:

Not fair – you made us wait for this post a day too long imo.

5. coppertopper says:

So many interesting things are coming from this. Did you happen to catch Keen/Graeves site when someone posted his home address 5 min after he let everyone know his full name? Priceless.

Countless examples of this not being a good idea abound. Basically all of 4chan is a great example of how much people can do with just a shred of info. Boxxy anyone?

Now mix in the ‘casual’ aspect of WoW, with clueless internet users in the millions, add in that accounts not only have a real world value based on gold/items, but can also be taken and used as bots for other illegal activities, and the possibilities of this blowing up truly remarkable.

On top of all that is the fact that the root cause of this is that making $500m in profit is not enough, and that someone (Kotick most likely) made the decision to ultimately sacrifice customer safety to profit even more off them, and yea, /popcorn.

• Damn! When did that happen?!

6. [...] mixed reactions around the blogs and new sites, though it’s mostly negative. Many, many real concerns are [...]

7. shadowwar says:

4 ton jack to the face from an androgenous ex-guildie? You know I want that hottie knocking on my door!

8. [...] even SynCaine has an unusually calm, logical, direct and to the point poke at [...]

9. shadowwar says:

Please tell me you saw that Keen had his info posted and then immediately did an, “Oh…about that…”

10. Rock Leg says:

C’mon Syncaine,

Write something about Capture the Flag and Go Cart racing in Darkfall.

I want to hear your thoughts!

I like Go Carts. Neutral on Capture the Flag (unless we are talking about paintball CtF, which is win).

I will (hopefully) have a boatload of DF-related stuff ‘soon’.

• Blud says:

Sounds like a fakking circus, now. I hope they come up with some better fluff than that (think economy, for example).

11. Wasdstomp says:

It is going to be the best train wreck ever. I think some other MMO’s should set their expansion, or launch dates about a week after Cataclysm goes live. It is going to be the best opportunity ever for other companies to steal players away.

12. Sleepysam says:

BTW, if you want meaningful PVP, taking down WOW fits the bill.

13. Blud says:

I have refrained from saying this in the past, but now I feel it is called for. Fuck Blizzard. End of story.

14. Mojeaux says:

As a self avowed WoW hater, I’m loving it.

• sid67 says:

I hope you don’t plan to play Starcraft II…

Good think SC2 is garbage, and by the time D3 rolls around, either Activision will be bankrupt thanks to the lawsuits, or RealID will already be gone. Or hell, the whole Facebook fad will be over anyway.

• Mojeaux says:

No worries there, never did care for Blizzard products too much. Though, I will admit that I liked the real time strategy WarCraft. For some reason Starcraft didn’t click with me.

15. [...] Syncaine, blogger: Can this thing launch already? This is like watching a car accident, only instead of seeing the flaming wreck after it happens, you’re like Nicolas Cage in that movie no one saw where he can predict the future, and you actually get to wait for the car wreck to happen right in front of you. [...]

16. Anne says:

Kotick has nothing to do with what is happening in current Blizzard.

17. thehamster says:

Syncaine, thank you for that post. It’s refreshing to see a blogger who can see through Blizzard’s forum troll excuse. I’ve been really disappointed to see so many bloggers who I previously respected, do nothing but talk about forum trolling, as if that actually had anything to do with RealID.

Anyway, even though Blizz retracted the forum thing, I still canceled both my accounts. WoW really is a great MMO, but this marks a major paradigm shift for them. Instead of giving gamers what we want, they’re shoving garbage down our throats. So, I’ll be installing darkfall.