Darkfall: PvP video from Aventurine

Aventurine posted an official video of the latest EU1 1v1 PvP tourney. Some nice camera work and good action clips abound, just wish it was a little longer.

With godmode turned on (no collision, ability to fly, invisible), AV could certainly get some very nice siege footage, or even just follow a PvP group around to catch the action. Looking forward to more of this stuff, and is AV the first dev house to record players in-game using GM accounts and putting out an ‘official’ video of it? I can’t think of anything like this from other game.

8 Responses to Darkfall: PvP video from Aventurine

1. Zapatero says:

EVE’s Alliance Tournaments are shot exclusively via GM-style pilot accounts, AFAIK

This is true, but the AT is CCP-sponsored, so I’ll only give you 50% credit on that one.

• Sean Boocock says:

That was the first thing that came to mind for me. I’ve watched the Tournament two of the last three years and it’s always exciting, even for novices.

I don’t know for sure, but I suspect that Asheron’s Call, Matrix Online or A Tale in the Desert have done something similar, filming players during a GM run event which are/were frequent occurances in those games. I also seem to recall trailers for Planetside featuring huge player battles.

2. Does everyone in the game jump around like that? Not trolling, I promise :D

Certain spells have a knockup or knockback effect, which is shown often in the video. Archers and mages can also jump-shoot/cast. Jumping in melee is used to look behind you without losing momentum. Plus when you are trying to dodge an opponent, sometimes jumping makes sense.

Then there are those who just jump because they need to mash keys. It does take a bit of stamina though, so smart players only do it when it makes sense.

• Jordan says:

This is really my only true complaint with Darkfall…all the jumping. Have hated it from the beginning in combat, really destroys some of the immersion for me and puts to much “video game” into the world if that makes any sense.

Didn’t they get rid of it once, then brought it back when some vets complained? Think they even made it a skill?

When you are in hand-to-hand combat with another player, even though it’s a fantasy world it should at some level resemble real-world physics. People constantly jumping up and down during a sword fight was a major downer for me.

Maybe they’ve fixed this or at least made it harder to do (based on your stamina comment above)…that would be a good thing.

Jump shooting and jump casting were removed, then added back in as specializations. Not everyone has those depending on your playstyle.

I’m not a huge fan of the ‘Quake’ aspect of jumping either, but removing or strongly limiting it has a huge impact on balance.

3. Sleepysam says:

1/4 credit for GW observer mode?