Wheel of Time: Finally up to speed

For the first time ever, I’ve actually caught up with the Wheel of Time series, a series I first started reading way back in highschool. It took three restarts, but finally I’ve read all 13 books that have been released so far. It’s a little bittersweet too, since I no longer have the option to grab the next book if I want, but I can go to message boards and read all of the theories people have without running into spoilers.

The last few books have been nothing short of amazing, while the notable 7-11-ish books are indeed a slog. The thing that really kills me about those books is they still contain some great moments, but they are wrapped in so much needless text. I can’t imagine what the last book is going to be like, given how well ToM sets things up and yet how many plot arcs are still up in the air. Not that I’m a huge reader, but the Wheel of Time has been by far my favorite series, even with those slower books. If you have somehow managed not to give them a shot, I highly recommend it.

16 Responses to Wheel of Time: Finally up to speed

1. Snafzg says:

My mother bought my father a few books for Christmas. The bundle included book 13 in the WoT saga. Unfortunately, he’s never read books 1-12! :P

He started reading it and was like “WTF?! There are soooooo many characters. I have no freaking clue what’s going on here!” He’s since stopped and may get the first 12 if he can muster the courage and/or enthusiasm.

Wait so he started at 13? Yea that’s impossible. The first 5 or 6 books are incredible though, so definitely tell him to get started at 1.

2. Derrick says:

I love the WoT series. As you noted, the books 7-11 really drag, there’s some good story there but honestly they should all be condensed down into one book. As it stands, there’s a whole lot of nothing happening in them.

Robert Jordan, as I’m sure you’re aware, passed away and a new fellow(who’s been involved to some degree all along, by my understanding) took over at Book 12 with his notes. Honestly, I think the newer books are absolutely outstanding – the first 6 were very good, but the new ones are amazing. I can’t wait for the next!

Despite the slow books, it’s my favourite fantasy series of all time, no contest.

Yea RJ passing away was sad. Crazy also that he had enough notes and such for the series to be finished without a lot of guesswork. He had the ending written already when he wrote book 1, and if you re-read the books, some of the hints and clues are just amazing. Stuff happens in book 1 that points to book 12, stuff like that.

• Snafzg says:

Unfortunately, I feel like G RR Martin has no such plan for his Song of Ice and Fire saga… That dude better not kick it and leave behind a wonderful but unfinished series.

I assume he knows how he wants it all to end, but it’s everything in between that he seems to be overfussing atm…

• Carson says:

Snafzg, funny thing is, the last thing I read before seeing this post on my RSS feed was the announcement of the publication date for the next Song of Ice and Fire book! Made my day!

• Shadow says:

Not long before Jordan passed away, he actually sat down with his wife, and some close family/friends and told the rest of the story to them over a couple of hours.

I would have killed to be in the room, and hear the tale straight from the gleeman’s own mouth.

3. I caught up at Knife of Dreams, but have vowed not to return to the series until the final three volumes are complete. There are great story threads in all the volumes, but my ability to care about all of them is limited.

And picking up the series again when the last book is out… well, I suppose it won’t be a challenge if it follows the pattern of reiterating everything with each book.

4. Dril says:

I’m still plowing through A Song of Ice and Fire (1/3 through A Feast for Crows now.)

Really, really, really enjoying it so far.

5. pkudude99 says:

If you’re digging the final books, might I suggest reading some of Sanderson’s own work not being done for Mr. Jordan’s estate?

Standalone:

Elantris
    Warbreaker

The Mistborn Trilogy:

The Final Empire
    Well of Ascension
    Hero of Ages

And he’s just released book 1 of a planned 10-book “epic series” he’s calling “The Stormlight Archive.” Book is titled “The Way of Kings” and I thought it was pretty awesome. In fact I’m already considering re-reading it. . . .

• Kevin says:

I definitely second reading Sanderson’s books. His Mistborn trilogy is phenomenal. I’ve actually thought about starting on the WoT again once I realized he was co-authoring the final books.

• Shadow says:

I’ve heard good things about the Mistborn Trilogy, and the planned epic he is working on sounds like a great replacement for me when he finishes WoT.

6. Stropp says:

I started read WoT many years ago. I got all the way through to book 5 but quit in frustration before I finished. I felt that the book 4 and 5 didn’t move the story forward.

Syncaine, now that the series is finished, do you reckon it’s worth pushing through to complete the series?

BTW, I agree pkudude99. I definitely enjoyed The Way of Kings, and am looking forward to the next volume.

7. Mbp says:

I kind of gave up when RJ passed away, was that book 11 or 12? I have since read Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn series though and he is an excellent writer so I am definitely going to read his completion of the series. It is quite intimidating going back to WoT after a break though. I can never remember who is who. Roll out the WoT faq once more.

8. Wyrm says:

So now is time for the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson…

Mind you, the first book is quite confusing for the writer doesn’t introduce nothing, he just flings you in the middle of the action. But is quite good anyways.