Adrenaline rush

Another night, another victory (followed by crushing defeat).

The nice thing about our most recent war-dec / war-shield shenanigans is that we know on exactly what night we will be able to fight, which makes organizing the Corp and having people online a little easier, and also eliminates the whole cloaked-and-afk thing. Last night was another such night, and it was a hell of a time.

Intel revealed that when outnumbered, our enemies would bring out battleships to try and over-power what they would expect to be lesser ships (either due to cost or simply our pilots being new and not skilled enough to fly anything that big). Our plan was to lure them into thinking we would at best field a few battlecruisers, and once they had committed to the fight, spring our trap.

Sure enough two enemies in battleships engaged our bait Drake, and stayed on the field when we sent in a few other BCs and frigates (first month pilots). As the tank of our Drake was breaking, we undocked our battleships. I was in an ECM Scorpion, and we also had an Armageddon and a Dominix. Though it took a few cycles, my ECM eventually jammed both enemies, allowing our Drake to warp away and avoid destruction. At the same time, everyone began raining death on the enemy Megathron, and before long he was in deep armor.

Both of their ships stopped firing in an attempt to dock back into the station once the aggression timer was off. The order to overheat guns was given, and the Mega popped just in time. I don’t believe we even got a single volley off on the second battleship before his timer was up and he docked inside the station, revealing just how close we came to missing out on the kill. Along with scoring the wreck, we learned the valuable lesson of bumping a target off the station, and how things might go when fighting around a station or gate.

After this fight I was pretty sure our enemies would not engage us again, having seen our force and knowing they could not match it. Two others were at a different station (I had expected them to join in on the earlier fight), and would occasionally undock, take some fire, and dock back up (again, bumping would have helped here). As this waste of ammo was going down, I got a convo invite from the CEO of another Corp who was also at war with our enemies. Seems they also had a fleet of about 8-9 pilots in the system looking for a fight. We merged fleets, although now it was certain our common enemies were done for the night.

But we had 16 or so pilots all in a fleet, all in PvP ships, so why not find some trouble, right? That pirate system with the carrier was nearby, and we had nothing better to do.

We repeated our bait strategy from last time, with all but three members of the fleet on the other side of a gate. And just like last time, the pirates responded quickly. Four ships were on the gate almost immediately, and before our fleet could even jump in, one bait ship went down. In response, our fleet managed to blow up a Megathron battleship. After this however things got ugly.

As expected, a carrier soon arrived. And then unexpectedly, a second. Along with some logistics ships and a few more battleships, all in less than a minute since our initial arrival into the system.

It was at this point that I started semi-panicking (read: total panic), calling out one target while I actually shot at something else, and completely losing track of how we were doing. Our overall focus fire was horrible, and this allowed the enemies to easily repair anyone who took too much damage. And since our new friends were not in Vent with us, when they all jumped back through the gate, it took us a few seconds to realize it, resulting in a few extra ships lost.

I always laugh when people describe the PvP in EVE as ‘boring’ or ‘simple’. Sure, targeting someone and firing your weapons on them is indeed simple, but that has almost nothing to do with the skill it takes to do well. This fight made it very, very clear I have a LONG way to go to even be a remotely competent FC, and the night overall was a series of lessons in tactics, mechanics, and fleet composition.

And along with being education, it was a hell of an adrenaline rush.

EVE-related blog post notice: If you would like to join us, comment here or shoot me an email. If you don’t have an EVE account, I’m more than happy to send a 21-day trial invite, and split the PLEX-related profit if you decide to sign up. Again just comment or email me.

12 Responses to Adrenaline rush

1. thade says:

This sounds like it was awesome.

One of the more memorable MMO gaming nights for me of late, yup. You know it was good when you can’t get to sleep because you have the key events playing over and over in your head.

• thade says:

I know how that can be; those moments are rare but by far the best.

• Zyref says:

Those moments seem like most pvp encounters. Especially if you’ve spent a lot of time in preparation.
          Examples: war targets. Hunting them down. Baiting them out.

It seems the only time my heart isn’t beating through my chest is when I don’t care if I lose the ship (i have some throwaway ships for transporting goods through lowsec/wormhole space).

The war target story Syn discussed… the fights were only a few minutes long. We spent most of the time posturing, baiting, etc. Some of it was political/diplomatic related. Some of it was tactical (don’t engage until ready // you’re never ready.)

The pirates we visited… that actual fight was fairly long… but likely still a few minutes in length. Also, keep in mind everyone has a different perspective. Syn was flying a huge battleship. Slow, relatively stationary platform sitting around the gate.

I was flying an interceptor traveling 5000m/s. I spent a lot of the fight doing figure 8s through the fleet, keeping targets from warping away. If someone targeted me, I made myself move to 100km away to break target, and then I’d get back in time to lay down more missiles.
          Also, there wasn’t a ship on the board that could hit me since I moved so fast… that is until I got hit by a neutralizing ray, sucking down my cap, and thus stalling my ship from 5000m/s to 700m/s (and thus making me hit-able). Then the panic sets in.

2. Guest says:

Pirates that are worth a damn will have eyes In the preceding system before you jump in. It is very hard to bait a gate camp that has intel because your reinforcements are at least two jumps away. My recommendation is a quad plated domi. It is a brick shithouse of ehp. Even better with logi of your own. Let the pirates make the first move the grab something and hold it. With any luck they will GCC and you will have gate fire on your side and they cannot leave via the gate. Wouldn’t save you from carriers, but hopefully you could fight on the gate and jump out if things get fubar.

• Aidan Padecain says:

Pirates near us will team up whenever we attempt to challenge them (they aren’t a fan of feven fights). So we often find that what had been one or two BS and a carrier suddenly becomes a cyno and 3 – 4 more carriers – often with some Dread spice thrown in.

Lesson here, established Pirates have many friends who like to drop carriers :)

3. bhagpuss says:

I’d much rather read that than experience it, that’s for sure. I’ve never really been able to work out how people can enjoy the sensation of an adrenalin rush. It feels very unpleasant to me and always has done, the sort of experience like banging your elbow or pins and needles that’s very distinctive and unusual but never pleasurable, even in retrospect.

Very good read, though.

• Guest says:

Have you ever gambled? When you are on the attack, it is the feeling that something good is about to happen. You are actively playing the game. It is about the exact opposite of mining where every so often you look up from your book and dump your cargo into a jet can. You are paying attention to everything, you are spamming d-scan looking for reinforcements, you actually care about speed and alignment and your transversal velocity. It’s that moment in a sporting event where the under-dog transforms into a champion. Rocky knocks out the Russian, holy shit!

4. Jay says:

What distinguishes a corp as a pirate corp? Is it the type of ships fielded? When I was in a corp we were mostly industrial with a small group of escort and PvP players.

Love reading these stories.

They live in low-sec.

That and their alliance is called Pirate Nation :)

• Hong WeiLoh says:

yes, because everyone who lives in lowsec is a pirate….*eyeroll*
        Hey you forgot to perpetuate the other Bear myth, that every lowsec gate is camped by 50 flashy red ships with instalocking, instapopping power.

As to the overall blog comment, I’m glad you found some gfs! Those are few and far between in wardecs, so the fact that you were able to push an engagement and get a kill is pretty bitchin.

The carrier drops, well, that’s kinda to be expected when you’re fielding a force like your combined corp gang. ;-) Speaking of which, easy work-around to that is have everyone switch comms to EVE Voice in fleet channel. Not the “best” way, but def a quick work-around for those kind of situations.

• loire says:

PVPer’s who live in lowsex and prey on anyone who comes through their system are the new “pirates”.

Long gone are the days of the ransoming and mind games and e-honor that made up the golden age of EVE yarring.