DF:UW – Totally fresh

Let’s assume AV does not hold any kind of beta for DF:UW.

This would mean that everyone would be blind on day one of go-live in terms of locations, tactics, builds, and just general game info. The mass confusion and searching would only last for so long, but still, that might be worth a bug or three.

Something to think about at least.

8 Responses to DF:UW – Totally fresh

1. Ahtchu says:

How to: bring explorers and killers under the same roof.

2. tithian says:

With AV being AV, “a bug or three” is such an understatement, you know…

3. João Carlos says:

So, a game is not tested for bugs not bring any red alert to you?

I’ve been beta testing it for 3 years already :)

• Dril says:

Rift wasn’t “buggy” in many senses.

That doesn’t mean its combat system, world, class design etc weren’t hopelessly subpar.

Genuinely, if someone cloned Mount&Blade exactly but made all its maps one persistent world that I could roam around I would pay $60 upfront and $15 (or, most probably, more due to shitty conversion rates) per month because the combat and feel of actually being a battle (rather than, say, rolling around on the ground a lot whilst hitting a door) is unlike any other game.

Of course, if the new Darkfall has worse combat that M&B and tacked on RPG features that are fucking atrocious to use then it’ll flop.

What it won’t flop on is “my sparkle pony is green instead of blue, fix plz”.

4. bonedead says:

It is a nice thought. Reminds me of Savage 2. I played in the first clan match for that game and it was a clan filled with guys who had tested it a shit ton versus the group of people I was with. We got stomped. But there really isn’t any other way to do it unless you only let newbs test your game and then it would probably be the same as just releasing it without really testing it. If they did that with the new DF I may give it a try, but I’m pretty sure no one is ever going to do that.

5. Morgs says:

reminds me of wow alpha.
    Was fortunate enough to get into the friends and familly aplha of WoW.
    No one knew what was going on and everything was just amazing and no one knew the world or the mechanics. Recall doing deadmines and going howley cow a giant tauren!!!(only alliance was open and level cap was 20)
    The forrest south of darkvaile or what ever was supper scarry because there was no higher level and the mobs would aggro from so far. so getting a flight point to the bay was an achievment.

Miss those days.

that said why don’t games have area’s that things are simply really really hard to kill between where you are and want to go.

I mean like raid level difficulty mobs just sitting there with no real loot but some flight point you need on the other side.

6. Coeur-de-fer says:

Yeah, how well did that whole beta thing work out before? There was an awful lot of bug-finding, but somewhat less reporting of said bugs. When everyone knows it’s going to be a cutt-throat land-grab from the moment you touch down, they keep their creative uses of game mechanics to themselves, to give them an edge out on the field once the main event begins.