LoL is the most popular game in the world, still publishing F2P-quality stats

Today Riot confirmed the obvious, LoL is the most popular game in the world. What’s next, EAWare confirming that SW:TOR sucks? (wait what they already did that, nevermind)

Some of the numbers are kinda lame in that cheesy F2P make-believe stats kind of way, like comparing the 32 million active players of LoL to the 12 million WoW subs (at its peak). One group just had to download a client, the other paid box+$15 per month. Not exactly apples to apples guys…

70 million registered accounts is great and all, but F2P trash MMOs report higher numbers (because that number is meaningless). Why not say how many accounts have spent at least a buck on the game? I’m sure that number is decent too, and actually means something.

Then you have all the CoD/Halo/Xbox numbers. Why toss those in? Why not compare how many Teemo skins have been sold to the number of Wii characters created called Chuck, or something else completely out of left field?

Facebook ‘likes’ stat is embarrassing. LoL has about 3x more likes than a one hit wonder meme. Awesome job Riot. Next milestones, passing Danny at the dentist in youtube views. /sarcasm and this is why some people still consider gaming a joke.

6 Responses to LoL is the most popular game in the world, still publishing F2P-quality stats

1. Feliz says:

You could argue that Farmville is actually the biggest MMO, considering all the farming that’s going on in WOW

2. xXJayeDuBXx says:

I bought a Teemo skin!

3. spinks says:

“LoL being played 90% by males is interested to me only because my wife is so addicted to the game.”

Yup, she’s an outlier. Congrats (I think?) :) I don’t play it because I’m too scared of how the community sounds to newbies. Don’t think that’s esp a male/female thing though.

• Sand says:

i dunno that a hostile community is necessarily something to be scared of, but i definitely wouldn’t subject myself to a bunch of preadolescent shitheads screaming racial slurs just to play a videogame.

4. bhagpuss says:

LoL may or may not be a great video game. It’s not an MMORPG, though, is it?

Does it, or any other MOBA, have any more connection to MMORPG’s than, say, CoD, Madden, FIFA13, Pacman…?

Reading about LoL as an MMORPG enthusiast is like being a trad jazz fan and having your nephew play you his favorite thrash metal CD because he understands you both have a passion for music. You can see the connection in theory but you struggle to find something polite to say.

5. Name says:

To be honest about comparing 32m LoL players to 12m WoW subs: I actually think LoL still has quite some more people paying high amounts for the game. For example, every game I join I see (because free icon that comes along) 1-4 people out of 9 that bought a recent skin that costs $15. Not to mention the tons of skins and champions people buy regularly that you often don’t know of.