Octo-moms will finally have the gear they deserve

The current state of WoW raiding everyone:

If you wipe in lfr 90% of the time its down to 1 of 2 things. Firstly too many people are afk, I wiped 4x on tsulong last week until we finally had 4 out of 6 healers actually healing, Or someone pulls the boss too soon, someone starts it with people outside or people dead.

That’s right, the biggest obstacle to overcome in WoW today is hoping that more than half your raid is awake at the keyboard. The bar, can it go any lower?

Breaking news, it has! Wipe buffs everyone! Finally a true reward for failure!

If you don’t think half your raid is going to intentionally wipe to further make things faceroll easy for far longer than it would actually take you to finish the boss normally you must be very new to the genre, or just humanity itself. Welcome!

My guess is the next addition is to pre-gear everyone in gear two or three tiers higher as you zone in. That way everyone can enjoy the special effects and boss attacks, but not actually worry about them thanks to everyone being massively overpowered. Maybe put in a slider to access fourth or fifth tier gear in case 90% of the raid is AFK?

Assuming that players in the majority are not masochists and would rather like to eventually succeed than to repeatedly fail appears like a safe bet to me.

Also welfare epics and all such measures have pushed WoW to all-time subscription record highs. Plus look around folks, all those MMOs that also followed WoW’s lead to become hyper-accessible are just KILLING it in terms of sub…. err cash shop sales.

Safe bets all around!

31 Responses to Octo-moms will finally have the gear they deserve

1. Zice says:

This was a very dumb post. I usually dont agree with you but I can understand your pov, this time you were just dumb :( sorry
    Unfortunatly you entered the category of “haters will hate” wich again makes you dumb :( sad day.
    I wont explain simply because the category you inserted yourself inyo just dont deserve.

• Jenks says:

It makes perfect sense, meanwhile you insulted his intelligence with a bunch spelling mistakes, emoticons as punctuation, and weird sentence fragments. I’m pretty sure I know what category you fall “inyo,” and you’ll be enjoying those wipe buffs in no time.

• Raziel walker says:

Zice you totally deserve some feedback for your excellent post.
      I think wipe buffs are an abomination but don’t see the need to explain myself to someone I place in the Wow fanboy/unable to spell/puncuate correctly category.

Otherwise:
      An MMO should push you to socialize and play together with a guild/group/corp/alliance and if you want to do raids/dungeons find a group that does them.
      Don’t add a lfg/lfr function and then make the game easier because you are unable to work as a team with some strangers.

Where is your sense of accomplishment if you clear an instance after getting rewarded for failure first and almost get welfare epics for just logging in?

I can’t get a titan or outpost in eve by solo play or joining some faction warfare. I have to find people to ally/play with first. MMO’s are meant to be social games, not a place where you just group up five minutes with a stranger for convenience.

Yea but EVE is a bad example because its so niche. At 450k subs its much smaller than WoW and…. um…. well… remember that week SW:TOR had more than 500k?

Yea I don’t either.

Edit: Forgot to include that EVE is played by one guy with 450k alts, he uses PLEX so he pays nothing, and lives in high-sec so he’s basically a WoW player.

Edit2: yo.

• Everblue says:

Firstly, why does a game need to “push you to socialize”? Can’t it provide the opportunity to socialise and then it’s up to you to choose to take it or not?

Secondly, why do you need the game to provide a sense of accomplishment? Perhaps people who have social lives and careers which prevent them from playing online games in three hour chunks obtain their sense of accomplishment from those activities, and don’t therefore require it from a video game.

Thirdly, if you are going to criticise others for their spelling and punctuation, please ensure that you can spell “punctuate” (third line of your post), otherwise you will look like an idiot.

• Liore says:

Hi, 2009 called and it wants its “I have a life I don’t have time to actually play my MMO” argument back. It would also like, ohhhh, about 3 million subscribers back at the same time.

Really, the question is why don’t you want to accomplish anything with your hobbies? I mean, just spacing out and banging a hotkey is about as satisfying and mentally stimulating as watching a marathon of Two and a Half Men. So.. way be smug about being the lowest common denominator, I guess.

• Everblue says:

@Liore I’m not letting you get away with accusing me of resurrecting a 2009 argument in the middle of a blog about “welfare epics”! This whole conversation is about five years old!

As for a sense of accomplishment – when I read books I don’t require my hobby to provide a sense of accomplishment. I pretty much understand all the big words now. Likewise when I play football or squash (hey arena PvP!) I don’t require a sense of accomplishment. I just want to enjoy the game and play well myself – winning is nice, but not necessary, nor is it necessary for me to be better than my opponent for me to enjoy myself. I won’t quit if my 5-a-side football team gets beaten three weeks in a row.

Why in heaven’s name I am all of a sudden the “lowest common denominator” if I don’t base my self-esteem on a time-grind MMO is beyond me. I would actually say that a person who doesn’t have the time to regularly play a videogame for three hours is likely to be a more successful person than the other way around.

For all Syncaine’s jibes about “Octomoms”, anyone who can raise eight kids is likely to achieve much more in life than someone who cleared Naxx40 back in vanilla.

Not sure where you are from, but no, I’d take someone with Nax40 over someone with 8 kids, but that could just be a cultural difference.

I’d also argue that if your life is so busy you can’t find a three hour block to enjoy a hobby, you might want to reevaluate things.

Finally the whole “winning isn’t everything” when it comes to sports is telling about a person. You don’t usually hear that from the people actually doing the winning, do you?

• hevy says:

*Unfortunately you have entered the category of “Oh my god don’t ever comment again” and you should know why.

2. Azuriel says:

LFR constitutes the “state of WoW raiding?” I guess that explains why high-end PvP is in the shitter ever since they made those changes to AV.

The WoW target demographic is the high-end? Holy shit where do I subscribe?

(Of course LFR is not the entire state of WoW raiding…)

• Azuriel says:

Point being, who cares? LFR is like a random BG, i.e. something to do with random people. The stacking buff is an attempt to solve the problem of people dropping out after the first wipe, who are then replaced with people who know your group just wiped, and now everyone is less inclined to stick around.

It simply baffles me why anyone would care about the “welfare” aspect, as if LFR gear was the equivalent of Normal-mode or Heroic-level raiding gear (hint: it’s not). If you want coordinated difficulty, it exists, it’s rewarded appropriately, go do it. If not, there’s LFR, go screw around and have whatever fun you can derive from it.

All valid, and of course, those who are still playing WoW above a derp level likely don’t care at all about this.

From a business standpoint however, what happens when people get the gear they want faster? Do they stay subbed longer, or shorter? Do you lose more people from ragequit wipes if you don’t make this change, or do you lose more from casuals being ‘done’ with the game?

What has MMO history suggested?

• Matt says:

In Cataclysm, they lost millions because people couldn’t even finish 5-mans. I’d say they aren’t even going to get close to repeating that mistake.

I’d say there’s no danger of getting gear too fast though, because LFR droprates are an exercise in frustration.

• Shiolle says:

“From a business standpoint however, what happens when people get the gear they want faster?”

They simply get to the normal/heroic raid faster, because I seriously doubt that LFR gear is what the were aiming for anyway. When they get to normal raids, if they are even half that bad as your post suggest, they will wipe on some boss endlessly. Then they get the buff (or normal content nerfed for them) the blizzard usually provide near the end of a content patch, they either clear the tier, or try until the next patch. Either way they are playing much longer than hardcore raiders who usually clear any raid in a week or two.

So wait, they would ragequit if they wiped on LFR content, but they won’t ragequit when they wipe on normal content? Not following the logic here.

• Shiolle says:

I think people leave LFR and LFD groups so readily because it’s easy to find another one. When playing in a normal raid they feel some pressure to stay and even improve, because even mediocre raiding guilds usually have no shortage of geared (thanks to LFR) recruits ready to take their place.

• Jenks says:

@Azuriel
          The content is devauled to the easiest difficulty. Dark Souls isn’t much harder than most games on their hardest difficulty. Beating it is worth talking about because there is no easy difficulty.

Who would have gave a shit when FoH killed Lady Vox, if scrubs had already been beating the easy mode version with raid buffs?

Beating something most people can’t is worth talking about. Beating something 100% of the players can beat, except with some more hit points, is something no one gives a shit about – but congrats on the extra numbers on your gear.

• Azuriel says:

The content is devauled to the easiest difficulty.

In the eyes of whom?

• John says:

@Azuriel “rewarded appropriate”

You mean some ilvl higher?is it that difference that distincts the afk-can’t push 2 buttons with a well organized raiding?you get 400 ivl I get 408 or 410 (examples) and everything is ok…

I ll guess there will be again that argument, “why do you care what other people gear have?” like in many f2p games “why do you care if he buy his levels?”

Also Blizzard admitted that ilvl differences now is more tight…for example in wotlk 20 ilvl difference might give you 1% more crit, now is even less. Anyway, I have quited wow long ago and I feel sad for people that do whatever it takes just for the reward rather than interested in the activity itself…

Thats why games now are full of dailies. push button – get cookie while pushing button is not challenging or fun, is a boring repetitive task that you do just for the reward and when you get the reward you don’t even want to hear about that activity again.

Now go into lfr, afk-push 2 buttons – get cookie – happy panda

• spinks says:

People who ragequit won’t be in a hurry to come back. People who boredquit will be back for the next patch,

• Jenks says:

@Azuriel
          I gave multiple examples.

• Liore says:

Well, to be fair the readers of this blog are probably also people who care (possibly a little too much, myself included) about MMO design. Additionally, history shows that WoW is still enough of a monster in the marketplace still that something that is a trend there will quite possibly affect the development of other MMOs for years to come, reasonably or not.

The rise of LFR has had a detrimental effect on the popularity and success of non-LFR raiding, and has made some pretty fundamental changes to the culture of level-capped WoW, which is also a discussion point for people who think about that kind of thing.

3. Scott says:

This is why I can’t take anyone seriously anymore when they talk about and especially blog about their experiences in WoW or any of the other easy mode theme park MMO. The accomplishments and achievements are meaningless.

And yet I read blogs about EVE all the time – and I don’t play nor do I intend to play.

4. Anonymous says:

And so, the kiddie end of the pool is getting shallower and more flotation safety devices are added. Do pro swimmers give a damn? Top raiding game in WoW requires just as much (likely more) skill, teamwork, networking, you name it, as before. If “octo-moms” are happy using butt wi.. err.. wipe buffs so they can get some pointless pixels and use them beat the same raid, stress- and challenge- free, again, to get more pixels… well, it’s their money that pays for the content for the first group. It’s not like CCP turns up their nose at selling Aurum-funded boots and skirts to the same target population.

5. Mekhios says:

WoW = Farmville = Why bother?

6. Lyss says:

I am not a pro, Im not commited enough to go pro raiding. What I wanted to do was normal raiding, maybe to days unnerfed content, maybe try the hero modes.

How exactly do I get players to play well enough for that if they’re “raised” to be idiots by nerfs, and wipebuffs like this?

How much of a Fuck should I give exactly for the very few who are so on top of he game that they are not connected to the rest anymore?

This makes much of the progress meaningless, more meaningless then it is, and furthermore It plays a part in players dont even beeing motivated enough to do the normal stuff.

I dont have the Time or commitment for hardcore raiding, If I wanted that I wouldnt play WoW instead I would be playing a Game which rewards such commitment more, maybe eve. On the other hand I’m not a drooling idiot and I feel insulted to be seen as one by the designers, so yes, I give a damn.

• msp says:

How do you get players to play well enough to do normal raiding? Find a low key, low pressure guild that’s interested and do it. If nothing else, you’ll get players who actually want the challenge, as opposed to those who suffer their raiding “job” because they are paid in epics. Fair weather raiders like their farm raids, but at the first sign of trouble they disappear like a flock of pigeons, crapping on the rest of the raid in the process. Yes, personal experience and yes, still bitter.

Now, if you enjoy the current LFR difficulty and Blizzard is nerfing it right from under you, then your take on the situation is completely understandable. That’s different from “the pros” complaining about the kiddie pool. Killing progression content – whatever that might be – post-nerf sucks; no other words for it. I quit raiding because I failed to stay ahead of Blizzard’s nerf train back in T10. Still log in from time to time, but I seem to like beating around in EVE a lot more – totally casual, totally solo, in for a month, out again, but having a great time. (Also, I fail at internet forms. I’m the Anon from above).

7. Pickle says:

You should rant against Wizard 101 too lol…ove it when former addicts try to get others to “see the light”. WoW sucks but it did way before this change, it’s on a downside and they will continue to improve easy mode to keep subs, no shit! But every other MMOG out there is a pos as well. Ranting about wow won’t get a dev to hire you and won’t make them not copy WoW. Instead show some insight and reasoning behind their change which is easy to see. Either way, good for a laugh ;)

8. Isn’t the ‘welfare epics’ rant a bit 2007?

9. bonedead says: