Noobs all over Agon!

While it’s been some months since I’ve felt like a noob in DarkFall, a few sources are just getting their feet wet in the game. I’ve written here on numerous occasions that DF is growing, and the only way you do that is by bringing new players into your game (DF avoided the worst of the tourist phenomenon by making it next to impossible to buy the game initially, so growth now really is new people trying the game rather than older players returning to check it out a second time).

First up there is this post over at MMOCrunch, talking a lot about the PvE of DF and how that aspect might surprise people. While the highlights for most are indeed the PvP encounters, there is more to DF than just fantasy Counter-Strike matches, and the game is enjoyable for more than just those who wish to PvP at all times (I’m one of those players, spending more time doing non-PvP things most days).

Up next is the 30th day of the DukeStreet blog trying DarkFall for a month. The whole series of posts is a good look at the game through the eyes of a new player and his day to day life, and overall shows that DF really is what you make of it, for better or worse.

Finally the head tourist himself (I believe I awarded you that title a while back, did I not?) has taken the leap into DarkFall. On display here is the now-common player progression through the first few days of DF, starting with utter hate for 99% of it, then slowly getting comfortable and understanding some of the design decisions and the overall ‘method to the madness’. DF really needs a disclaimer stating you will most likely not enjoy your first day in the game, especially if you have mainly played WoW-like titles. At least Pitrelli did not EG his time in DF and ragequit before giving it a fair shot, props for that. Now find a clan and really see what it’s all about!

(DarkFall-related post disclaimer/reminder. If you click the image link near the top-right of this page and buy a DarkFall account, I get paid 20% of the client cost. If you believe this taints my views and reporting on DarkFall, your opinion is wrong.)

This entry was posted in Darkfall Online. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Noobs all over Agon!

1. pitrelli says:

Yup thats affirmative, but hey there is alot of MMOs out there and with so much choice why not ;)

Darkfall as you say definately needs a disclaimer for the first day of play as without advice and encouragement from fellow players and bloggers such as yourself it would be all too easy to pack up an quit straight away. I can say its a much better game than I anticipated it to be now I’ve picked up the basics.

I’ll be looking to hone and polish up my skills and reactions a bit more in the starting area then look to branch out I think.

2. Malakili says:

I think people need to realize that just because you aren’t led by the hand doesn’t mean you can’t have fun doing it. People log in, don’t immediately know what to do, and log off in frustration claiming “there is nothing to do.”

If players could get in the mindset of exploring (both in terms of the game world, and the game mechanics), I think they would have a lot more fun with these sorts of games.

It isn’t “work.” People are always complaining about “work” in an MMO, but sandbox v. themepark I think has nothing to do with that feeling of “work.” Rather, you have to be in the mindset that you are in charge of your fun, rather than someone else. I mean, if you are defining having to actually act on your own as work, well, I just don’t know what to say about that.

3. pitrelli says:

@ Malakili

I think perhaps my frustration was borne from the fact I couldnt understand some of the game mechanics and why exactly it was done ‘this way’ instead of ‘that way, for example sheath and unsheath weapon to loot or even the limited camera movement in third person view. Having played for a few days and even speaking to other players it becomes clear as to why the game is set up the way it is but alas first impressions can and are game breakers to some.

Im enjoying Darkfall alot and it definately is a refreshing change to see a dev taking its own vision and not conforming to the ‘norm’.

• Malakili says:

Indeed. Impressions are very important, but I think part of what colors the impression is the mode of thought you go into the game with.

If you go in with an attitude that you approach a normal MMO with, you’ll be in trouble. Something like, level up, get new abilities, get new gear, as your immediate and long term goals, will cause you to have a very bad first impression, because you can’t do any of these things easily.

I guess what I am trying to say is that people who have not tried an MMO like Darkfall need to be prepared to look at the game in a totally different way than they look at other games.

• pitrelli says:

Hmm I’d actually put Darkfall in a similar boat to Fallen Earth which I’m also playing. Tricky to start and get into but once you know your way around a bit the enjoyment kicks in.

4. Werit says:

That is one of the reasons I have not tried Darkfall yet. I just don’t have the time needed to give it a fair shot.

As for Duke’s site, I can’t seem to find where Day 1 starts.

5. Adam says:

WOW

Coincidently (or not) Valroth has really outdone himself –

-Excellent- new player introduction videos!

Highly recommended for new players.

Almost made me want to roll a new toon :)

Those are both great. I was wondering why Val has not been around much. Going to add them below my DF banner, everyone new should watch those.

6. treeshrugger says:

Darkfall is really a fun game. You see a lot of discussion (and almost hand-wringing) by people as to whether full loot, FFA PvP, etc., are a good idea or not, but when you give it a chance and actually play it for a while, you find it quite the experience. The immersion achieved is, frankly, amazing, even if downright stressful at times (though in a fun way).