Well this is awkward

In order to pre-load Civilization V, Direct2Drive sends you to Steam. Ouch.

(But the D2D deal is still, IMO, better, since you get the first DLC pack included, which is better than the map you get from Steam)

This entry was posted in Civilization Series. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Well this is awkward

1. Werit says:

Curses! Well, Steam does give more than a map, you get the Babylon civ too. Wish they would give details about what the “double civ” is.

2. Wilhelm2451 says:

Oh geez, collectors edition, downloadable content, different launch offers… WTF Sid?

Good thing I’m still not done with Civ II yet. A Civ game is really only ready to play about five years after launch, when computers catch up to the processor grinding requirements the AI puts on them.

Upgrade that 486 man, it’s time.

(The reqs for Civ V do look a bit extreme for what it is though, should be interesting for the toaster crowd)

• Wilhelm2451 says:

486? There wasn’t any processor headspace available when playing Civ II until at least the Pentium Pro. I remember getting my PII 400MHz and it shaving hours off of a Civ II game.

And then Civ III came out and I was back to waiting for the AI.

Same thing happened with Civ IV.

I expect no less with Civ V.

Civ II, btw, still plays great on current machines. And because it runs in a re-sizable window, it actually takes advantage of monitors of a size never dreamt of back in 1996.

Yea I seem to recall Civ III choking my system towards the end of a game, but I don’t think I had any issues with Civ IV. We shall see with Civ V Tuesday.

3. Mala says:

I was going to buy the boxed version until I realized they all interface with Steam anyway, so I just bought it straight from there to begin with to save myself the trouble. Though, I’m a regular steam user anyway, so this isn’t a big concern for me.