I hate myself

Just picked up Skyrim on Steam.

I know it’s buggy. I know it will be better in 6 months. I know it will be cheaper in 6 months. I know in 12 months there will be a GoTY edition for less than the current price and it will include all the DLC and won’t be buggy.

But I want to play now, and my CC info is already stored in Steam, and it was only one click, and it’s the weekend.

I’m so weak…

This entry was posted in Random. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to I hate myself

1. Percy says:

Never let steam save your card info. >=)

Even I feel the twinge to buy it for full price when I see those Skyrim reviews and advertisements… But I will stay strong!

Its shaping up to be a great game though, your shame will quickly be forgotten.

2. Scott says:

I’m ashamed for you.

3. Adam says:

It seems pretty great so far, and yeah I meant to wait a few months too.

4. Gank says:

Meh, life is to be lived and games are to be played. If you want it, and can afford it, have at er!

5. Dink says:

Skyrim will be fixed in next patch within the month. It won’t be cheaper for at least 12 months and GOTY edition is probably 12 months out too.

6. Don’t feel ashamed, we all suffer from a hype induced purchase from time to time. As said above; if you can afford it, enjoy it!

7. Hudson says:

PC Gamer offers a guide on tweaks for the PC edition to improve graphics, disable Vsync, change FOV, and more and HARDOCP has a performance and IQ preview.

I went console. Tired of PC tweaks fuck that

Game runs on High without a hitch for me so far.

• Derrick says:

My system – self built a few years back for $700 – runs Skyrim on Ultra “as is” (no tweaks) at 45-60fps. No tweaking hassle, no bugs of note, nothing.

*shrugs* I can’t imagine going console with a game like Skyrim, suffering from mediocre graphics and worse no modability. But, to each their own.

• Torcano says:

Dude, you didn’t really get this game on console right? Bad joke.

This is like, one of the top 5 franchises for mods in the existence of pc gaming.

If you don’t get ThIS on pc the pc gaming ppolice should come to your house, smash your pc, piss on it, incinerate the remains, and beat you to a bloody pulp.

8. saucelah says:

If you impulse buy SWTOR, I will lose all faith in humanity.

• Esteban says:

My face is ruddy from all the facepalms I inflicted on account of SW:ToR, but the beta’s growing on me. It’s not going to jolt anyone’s brain out of a coma, but its levelling game is a good old back-to-basics, hack-and-slash, random-green-drops-matter, logical-ability-use-well-rewarded-if-not-strictly-necessary little MMO. With a pretty Bioware-quality story/voicework/writing. It does manage to scratch some kind of itch, though it’s not the one in the middle of the frontal lobe.

9. Mobs says:

No you don’t, it’s so good and significantly less bugs then any release before it. The world is so tightly packed with cool things to do an see. Much more then any game in the series before it. I’ve put over 24 hrs into it alrdy

10. I have encountered no game breaking bugs. In fact so far this game is everything I’ve ever wanted in a game. Only gripe I have is you can’t skin the animals you kill… epic that that’s my only gripe/suggestion. I still can’t believe how fun being a Mage is…. flames and spark for the win!

• Derrick says:

Most animals drop skins, though, which can be tanned for leather :) I’ve been hunting deer/wolves for leather mats for a while now.

11. theJexster says:

I’m trying to hold back myself, but the call of the sandbox is strong in this one…

I look forward to your write ups about the game.

12. Anonymous says:

Playing it myself.. Let us know how you like it.

13. bhagpuss says:

Can’t see the appeal.

Dragonfall was interesting in theory but incredibly dull in practice. Morrowind went nowhere. I gave up after a few days. Didn’t try Oblivion.

Even the screenshots and trailers for Skyrim look yawningly ordinary and tedious. Maybe if it turns up in a bargain bin for £5 I might try it, but I wouldn’t expect to go more than a couple of days before it got uninstalled…am I missing something?

14. Derrick says:

10 hours in for me, a single crash to desktop but no other bugs found so far. It is, so far, easily the best role playing game I’ve ever played. It’s quite literally everything I’ve ever asked for in a RPG.

Interesting main story, fascinating side quests, jaw-dropping scenery, incredible sound, the magic is leaps and bounds over previous TES games… marvelous.

My only complaint is the interface is very non intuitive (though over time you get used to it) and the perk selection screen is mindbendingly horrible to navigate.

That said, if I paid twice what I did for the game, I’d still think I got a great deal. It’s really that good.

15. Max says:

I am on the edge of buying it .Although Bethesda games are nearly unplayable on release . I am forcing myself to wait till construction set is released and there is at least UI mods. MUST RESIST

16. coppertopper says:

Anyone playing this on PC with an Xbox controller? If so is it totally viable?

17. Derrick says:

It’d work fine – and the interface would probably suck less, as it’s clearly designed for use with a gamepad – but I’m a mouse’n’keyboard guy. Totally viable, though, even if I preferred gamepad play, I’d do it with a 360 controller on the PC (for mods and good graphics)

18. Gaugamela says:

The game is awesome. Super polished (still haven’t found bugs or instability) and the game has gorgeous landscapes, great soundtrack, has a lot of sandbox components, the gameplay is more dynamic than that of MMOs (no tab targeting).

The game is amazing plain and simple. It’s all I ever wanted in an RPG that led me to look to MMOs (besides player interaction) and I see myself loosing hundreds of hours in this game in the following months.

I would love to see a Bethesda MMORPG considering the excellent work they have done with Skyrim.

19. Hansenista says:

I suppose you’ve already figured this out by now, but it’s really not that buggy. Certainly a far cry from Oblivion.

20. Jeromai says:

I resisted all fucking weekend, helped along by the Steam store taking a sudden dislike to my dynamic ip address.

Then on Sunday, my ip switched and the problem cured itself.

In the resulting euphoria, I chanted the same mantra above and bought it…so weak…

…I wouldn’t have been able to resist till Christmas sales anyway.

21. thade says:

I did exactly the same thing and I don’t regret it one bit. Game is amazing, despite its bugs and (few from my perspective) shortcomings. It’s everything I loved about Fallout 3 and everything I loved about Morrowind.

Enjoy. :)