Time to play the market, EVE-style.

In the ever-changing ‘what do I want to do now’ world of EVE, I have a new goal for my miner, to become the greatest trader ever.

Or at least make some half decent ISK while learning about trading in EVE.

The reasoning for this is two-fold. One, I need ISK for that Hulk I want to buy but never have ISK for. Two, I think trading can be something that I can keep up with during those times I only have 30min to 1hr to play, too short a time span to complete a level 4 mission. It will also be a good way to stay active in EVE without having to always run missions or mine. Missions are still fun, especially when done with a fellow pilot, but I can’t grind them day in day out.

So it’s off to the market and to set up my trading empire. I did a quick Google search for trading guides, and it came up with some rather basic ones. If anyone knows of a good one, be sure to comment. My plan is to start slow and just get a feel for the local system, setting up a few basic orders and seeing how it goes. I believe with my current skills, I can set up something like 50 orders, so that should be enough to cover the ammo market at least. I’ll also have to see what fittings are popular and offer a decent margin. I’m sure plenty of mistakes will be made regardless, and hints or tips are appreciated!

This entry was posted in EVE Online. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Time to play the market, EVE-style.

1. mandrill says:

I tried that. If you manage to make a decent living doing it then my hats off to you.

2. Veltin says:

I tried it as well and found if I was willing to micromanage the prices it would work but I spent more time doing it than I thought I would. I did try it in Jita where all the marketing alts hang out so that might have been a problem. Basically I found that as soon as I placed a sell order there would be 2-3+ sell orders for 1 or 2 ISK less than mine within 20 minutes so I would have to lower mine if I wanted them to move. I’m sure I could have done things better but I gave up after awhile. I did manage to make about 5 million before I quit trying though(with 25 million in seed money)

3. Jason says:

I’m going to give you one word: Shuttles.

I’m in Minmatar space, off the homeworld a few systems, and you can make a (small) killing in buying and reselling shuttles. There are many people trying to buy shuttles for peanuts (400 – 2000 isk) and resale at 15-20k. If you have a more modest approach, buy them at 5-6k and resale at $10-12. You still make 100% profit. It’s not get rich quick but it’s easy and turnover is fast. Lots of greedy people out there that you can easily outfox now that shuttles are no longer automatically made at NPC stations.

4. Diametrix says:

Long time reader, first time responder:

Having created Diametrix as an entrapeuner and trader but having skilled up and experimented w/ everything from trading to mining to pvp to exploration I would give this advice: Treat trading in EVE like you would in real life.

Decide what kind of business enterprise you want to run and engineer you actions around that. In a real business you have to find a market first (location location…). Jita ain’t it. Then figure out costs, overhead, competition, demand, sustainability. Then start out small and grow from there.

Good luck!

5. There are two ways to make a lot of isk in trading:
    1) buy low and transport to where supply does not meet demand and your stuff sells at a premium; or
    2) buy low and sell high in the same area

I’ve done both and (2) is better for less time online. I made a few million isk buying best named large railguns and projectiles in Rens from mission runners and selling them at regular prices. It required logging in several times a day to adjust orders to keep ahead of the competetion but each log in was for like minutes at a time.

6. syncaine says:

For the experienced traders, would it be ‘easier’ (as in, less micro management, more room for error) to try the whole ‘buy low, sell high’ in a low traffic, remote system?

I know Jita is super busy, but I figure people with far more time and resources are all over the high traffic areas making razor margins. I was thinking if setting up shop in a somewhat remote location (with a few stations and useful agents) and trying to control the ammo market in just that one system. Would it be possible? Would it be worthwhile, or would traffic be so slow that profits would be anemic?

Also, what is the best plan for selling all the mission loot? Horde it and then take a trip to Jita? Or try to sell it in my low traffic system for better prices?

7. I found a couple of useful sites today. One searches the market for prices, which you can narrow by region. The other can plot paths to those places.

What I do now is mine, then search for Tritanium and Pyerite in nearby systems on EVE-Central. I then check BattleClinic until I find a system that is nearby, through high security space only, and has high “buy” prices (because I want to sell to those buyers).

By doing this, I make double what I used to on a full haul (up to about 1.5 million a haul, as I have a 13k capacity ship).

8. syncaine says:

Spam filter loves you Ryan.

Oh, and thanks for the links, I’ll have to check both out tonight.

9. Van Hemlock says:

EVE Central is a great help for this sort of thing, yes, espeically for getting some idea of what the T1 Named stuff is worth; utility, rather than flat mineral value, for those.

In general, it’s about time costs more than anything else. I’m perfectly happy to pay twice what a needed item is worth if it’s right where I happen to be, and many others are too.

Knowing where the good L4 Mission Agents are helps – speculative buy orders on popular mission loot items at that station can work well. I’d avoid anything to do with Jita really – very competitive, and most of the ‘players’ in that market tend to have economies of scale on their side, and yes, stupid bidding war micromanagement. Less popular hubs can be less of a headache. Was working Tash-Murkon Prime for a while with decent results.

Might be worth looking into Salavaged Parts; items that have no mineral value at all, so no artificial link to the mineral economy. Means that they’re worth what people think the ensuing rigs are worth, which can vary a fair bit. Also, they’re physically tiny, meaning that moving them about can be done in any ship.

10. michael, St Erroneous says:

Last summer I made about 1.6B in six weeks, station trading remotely to Jita44, starting from essentially zero ISK.

Took a bit of focus, but there’s plenty of ISK to be made just in being a middleman.

11. Syncaine: the quieter systems might seem attractive but the lower volume of buyers means you have to be very patient to make your money. The high volume of sales in Rens/Jita/Amarr/Dodoxie etc means I found I made decent profit faster. But I have a short attention span. ;)

12. mbp says:

Just don’t do what I did Syncaine. At an early stage in my EVE career I thought I could make a killing buying up ammo cheap and selling on. I put a region wide buy order for ammo with no minimum quantity. I forgot I would have to fly to all of these places to collect the stuff I bought. Now I have small batches of ammo spread all over the region and I don’t think i will ever get around to collecting them all to sell.

13. Shalkis says:

I’m a hauler/trader, so I make my money by taking advantage of price differences in different stations/systems/regions. The money’s good, but you’re at the mecry of the market. Furthermore, as you fly bigger and bigger ships, your own impact on the market keeps increasing. A few trips in a freighter eliminates the most lucrative price differences, and you have to wait for other pricing imbalances to emerge.

14. syncaine says:

Yea I made the ‘region buy’ mistake before as well. Ended up being a long day of collecting, but I got it all. Lesson learned though.

Current plan is to put up buy orders for the most common ammo types, and re-sell them in the same station. (it has a quality 20 lvl 4 agent in it) As it’s not the highest traffic area, the competition is very low right now, which (if I get the buy/sell prices I’m aiming for) will lead to higher margins, but lower volume. I’ll have to see how it all goes.

I’ll also be hauling all my mission loot to a high traffic area once it builds up. Figure I will make a good amount off salvaged pieces as well.

15. Micah S says:

I have found that hoarding mission loot and hauling it to Amarr (the nearest high traffic area) makes a definite difference. On a trading note, my corp is considering selling ships in systems near factional fighting in the hopes of getting in on the market for replacement ships.

16. Rick says:

Man, I hear you about level 4 missions. I usually run 3’s, just because I can get ’em done faster. Too many distractions in RL for me and level 4’s. Part of that, I’m sure, is that I need quite a bit of skilling up to really fit out a BS well. I just have Skill ADHD lately, and I’d like to broaden my horizons a bit.

17. drifter raas says:

rat and loot in low sec. mony mony mony i love it

18. drifter raas says:

Train a good tank or fire power.get a budy to deel out fire power and u do the tanking or the uther way aronde.sorry for the spelling Im not english. my buddy us to tank and a fit a DRAKE to do kik as missel powe.now he fly BS and her goog.

19. drifter raas says:

he he I meen good

20. Anonymous says:

here is the best plan in my opinion. i always like to horde all my items then sell them but i do it in mission hubs like vittenyn or similar places. usually within 5 jumps of a major trade hub. if you sell and 5 mil isk mod for 4 mil and you are just a few jumps outta the way you will most definitly sell it cause there are ppl who are willing ot save a few mil isk and take a trip a few jumps away. in this case you have access to all the high lv buyers that a trade hub has but you dont have to micro manage