EVE does things better than your game does them, again.

Not. Even. Fair.

Edit: Awesome, three word post and I go 2/3 with the spelling.

This entry was posted in EVE Online. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to EVE does things better than your game does them, again.

1. Wilhelm2451 says:

As cool as that looks, and as much as I want to update my avatar in EVE, you are still, for the time being, just a head to represent the person flying the ship. The ship is your physical manifestation in the game. And your ship pretty much looks exactly like every other ship of that type.

And when we are able to wander around stations, will CCP need to introduce a clothing creation and clothing storage skills for the people who want to play dress up?

That’s how I saw this, as a prelude to the station walking and custom clothing thing I remember reading about.

What I liked about this though, aside from it looking great, was how you were able to manipulate the look (the blue lines near muscle structure), very clean/cool looking.

2. sid67 says:

As cool as this looks, if you look at the first screen shot of the character and the last shot — the difference isn’t that remarkable.

In a way, it reminds me of the Dragon Age character creation on steroids. A lot of customization within a facial type but not so much customization that you can’t tell which original ‘face’ was used.

3. Hudson says:

Wow…thats remarkable…

wait..no it isnt….

Who cares?

4. Il Cane says:

I concur…
    Who cares?
    Character creation is irrelevant for me, i always choose “randomize” if i have the option to do that

• Mala says:

Sorry, I guess creativity isn’t your thing, don’t worry though, there is plenty of mediocrity to go around.

Also, I apologize in advance, but I’m in a bad mood and your comment struck me as everything I hate about the modern gaming community boiled down into one short post.

5. Phedre says:

Face details are seriously overcomplicared. Not just in this EVE demo, but in many MMOs. You can tweak like crazy and then end up in the beginner zone with everybody wearing the same armor, and your face is so small that many of the details you painstakingly created are utterly lost. Height, build, structure, hair, and same of the facial expressions are extremely important. But tweaking the cheek and ear position are always time wasted. Adding more armor, more hairstyles, maybe more jewelry and tattoo options is way more important. EVE went too far in details while possibly missing the more important bits.

6. Old Tom says:

Eve is testing WOD’s char creator … just look at it as a prequel to the WOD MMO CPP is working on. My guess

7. Shadow says:

I saw somewhere they called it character “sculpting” and it very much feels that way when working with it.

8. coppertopper says:

I just really find it hard to see the point of a facial customizer that is maybe 10% better then Aion’s character generator and also as inconsequential to gameplay.

• Ardwulf says:

Character customization isn’t about gameplay, and never has been. But if it weren’t important we’d all be playing games where you just pick a preset character class and that’s it.

MMOs are about player buy-in to the character and the world. Gameplay is important, but it’s the buy-in that gets people subscribing. Customization is a part of that.

• coppertopper says:

Yes but cheekbone size and brow height are about the least important factors in immersion and customization. Nice to have yes, but to see a newer fancier facial customizer is probably exciting news to EvE and WoD fans(as any GW2 news is to me) but to me its just a big *shrug*

• Shadow says:

Sounds a lot like trying to quanitify an intangible.

Who’s to say what is and isn’t important immersion factors in a system that is 100% cosmetic and geared toward immersion. Everything you can do to increase depth of a system like that towards the end goal of achieving said immersion is important.

• coppertopper says:

Agreed.

9. treeshrugger says:

The point is immersion.

On a similar note, I don’t even currently play EVE, but I’m pretty curious/excited to see how things will unfold when DUST 514 gets integrated into the EVE universe.

10. Ferdinand says:

That comment does not apply to EVE at all. Tweaking facial structure is far more important in EVE than in other games because all you ever see of the other character is a head-and-shoulders photo. You can even see a far higher resolution version of character portraits on the Internet. If the developers weren’t concerned about Walking in Stations, they could completely do away with height, build, and bone structure. As it stands, I would not have blamed them for marginalizing below-the-neck customization; instead they went all-out and implemented the best character customization available in any MMO. I cannot fathom the critical reaction to such an unequivocally positive addition to the game.

11. Dblade says:

Yeah, this is useless. Your main character is your ship, and they have zero visual customization. All you can do is name it. The picture is just a picture until incarna, and even then its limited to optional chat-based gameplay.

12. Amalec says:

If you think this is a useless waste of time, that’s because you’re an idiot with no objectivity.

Personally, I do not give a damn what my avatar looks like – I’m a game play kinda guy. That said, I can recognize that to other people this kind of thing is critical to their immersion and they play their MMO of choice to feel part of the game, socialize, etc.

CCP has looked at a subsection of their player base, asked ‘what do these people want?’ and then given it to them without holding back or half-assing it. That counts for something. I’m infinitely more excited by a game that decides what it will offer then offers the best than a game which tries to offer everything to everyone and does a shit job of it.