We have time to make this, but not a sandbox PvE MMO

Really gaming? A garbage truck simulator, and just $21 thanks to a sale!? I’ll take three!!

I guess this is a bit like learning that Nascar is really popular. While most people see zero value in hours and hours of left turns, there are ‘those people’ who just can’t get enough of it. I guess this game is for that crowd. Strange world.

PS: Love that this is published by Rondomedia, because I of course initially read it as rando-media, which made a lot of sense.

This entry was posted in Random. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to We have time to make this, but not a sandbox PvE MMO

1. This is where Lum’s “Let it Go” presentation that has been making the rounds for the last week or so (even Massively finally found it) starts to fall down. It assumes that game devs in general, and MMO devs in particular, are spending their time keeping their MMO going by not making that next game we could be playing. Yet the evidence of the market seems to be that the best we can hope for from most studios is derivative remakes and sequels. If, for example, SOE stopped milking the EverQuest cow, would they necessarily have another game to replace it for that audience? Or would they all just walk away?

Haha, slide 3 contains the SuperData table. Guess even Lum got trolled.

Edit: Also wtf was the actual point of that deck? To inform the world that people stop playing games sometimes, even games they really like because they ‘beat them’? (shocker!)

Or to inform devs that they should stop trying to design MMOs to keep people, because people leaving is ‘ok’? (Even though the successful MMO model is to keep them playing by providing new stuff so they DON’T get bored of what you offer…)

• As far as I can tell, it was the game dev version of saying “Give Peace a Chance.”

Pretty message, but how to get there from here was left as an exercise to the reader.

• Anti-Stupidity League says:

Yeah, like all zero players of Darkfail know, the only 100% accurate data comes from Xfire, not from some SuperData that dares to claim that SW:TOR and Lotro are more successful than EVE, which they clearly can’t be because Syncaine says so.

• Rammstein says:

Since you believe that spending ten thousand dollars and getting back one thousand dollars is “successful” ASL, please paypal me ten thousand dollars, and I will happily paypal you back one thousand dollars. It’s a real win-win.

2. bhagpusss says:

The Lum piece confused the heck out of me.

As for “Garbage Truck Simulator”, there was a whole piece on the BBC Technology News page a while back about the “Mundane Sim” scene. It’s an interesting read.

3. maljjin says:

Can you go on strike ? ‘Cause that’s a required feature if you want to simulate the trash collecting system of my area.

Joke aside, I just don’t get this type of game. Then again, there’s a whole bunch of games I don’t understand how they could be fun, so that’s not really new. Repeating the same mundane actions is not my definition of fun, there need to be some depth in the simulation, which is sorely lacking quite often. Ask me to grow a company that would eventually collect trash in several cities/states, you might get me to play, but collecting for the sake of it, no, sorry.

4. Anonymous says:

From my understanding the game is not really a garbage truck simulater but an economy simulatir. Like Railrood Tycoon, only with garbage trucks instead of trains.