CoC – Early War League thoughts

We aren’t quite done with the first League War in Clash of Clans, but I already have thoughts to share, so here goes. Overall I like the feature, and some warts aside, I think it makes CoC a better game.

The big things for me are the fact that every attack, from all 15 participants, matters. The wars are no longer about the upper bases cleaning up, or about the lower bases not mattering as much defensively since they will get rolled anyway. Now everyone matters, and not only do you have to execute your one attack well, you have to do so in all 7 wars for the clan to overall win.

The second thing I really like is watching the League leaderboard and seeing which clans are doing well, and which ones are closest to challenging you. This makes eventually facing a clan close to you in standing matter that much more, and during the war you get a good feel for how competent (or not) the other clans are. I expect that once rankings settle and everyone is more or less in their correct bracket, League wars will be intense and very close. Right now we are steamrolling our league, but I know that will change.

As for the warts, the big one is having to fill clan castles every war. Doing this daily is just annoying, and hopefully the system gets changes so that you can fill once and have the troops stay for the whole week, with the option to remove and edit troops should you want.

The other wart is the 15 person limit, as it excludes basically anyone lower than the 15 highest people in a clan. I know the system wouldn’t work if they didn’t set a specific amount of people, and 15 is likely ‘fair’ based on their metrics, but it still feels bad to leave clan members on the outside looking in. Yes it should motivate them to upgrade and get into the top 15, or to be a viable swap (if we had 20 near-max TH11s for example, that would be easy to swap people in), but at least short-term it still kinda divides the clan into the upper 15 and everyone else.

Likely more to share once the war is over, especially around the rewards, since we will finish first in our league and move up.

This entry was posted in Clash of Clans, Inquisition Clan. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to CoC – Early War League thoughts

1. Alistair says:

TH10 with troops is basically the minimum for war leagues now for us. I predict we’re going to run into some pretty bad mismatches in the near future as top clans focus on recruiting TH12s for leagues. I think we’ll reach a point where we are pleased to simply maintain our ranking.
    They are very lucrative though. If you are in the war it’s great but even if you aren’t a good war league performance by the clan will net you a hammer.

Certainly at some point we are either going to hit a wall of clans with higher THs (but lower skill), or even TH but higher skill. I’m curious what that level will be, and whether we advance beyond it. In CR we have been at 2500ish trophies for a while, slowly inching our way up.

2. Mikrakov says:

I’ve certainly had a lot of fun playing this week, it’s brought something new to the game that I drastically needed as I was getting a bit burned out. It was also a good reminder of just how bad the average player is, since they started matchmaking clans better we haven’t seen these derp clans in a while. Some of our opponent’s attacks really have been next level awful.

3. Jonneh says:

I’ve really enjoyed them as well, I just hope later wars won’t be decided by random missed attacks or disconnects.

Rewards seem really decent as well, can buy 2 hero levels outright which I think I will save until th12, getting AQ instantly up seems like the best use.

The way the league works throws a bit of a spanner in the works with regards to keeping your base low on war weight, unsure whether I want to get my eagle now or not.

My view on priority, especially for our top 15, is that League Wars are more important than Clan Wars. Clan wars don’t have a visible ranking, League’s do, so we should focus on moving up in League rank above all else.

So in that regard, I’d drop the Eagle prior to the start of the next League, along with any other defenses/upgrades that have been held off on due to war weight. That will hurt us a little in Clan Wars, but IMO the trade-off is worth it.

• Mikrakov says:

How does it actually work? Obviously there must still be some sort of war weight going on or we would have ended up against clans with 15 full TH12s. I’m not feeling like I want to drop any extra defences as the bases I was matched against were actually all pretty easy. I’d love to take credit for getting the full 21 stars this round, but I was never really presented with a tough base, and I’d like to keep it that way going forwards.

The original league placement was based on the top 15 people in a clan, so clans with 15 Th12 started in Master 1 (highest placement), with everyone filling in below. We are now Master 3, so we should start seeing more evenly matched clans soon, maybe even next league.

But going forward, League wars are only about clan rank, zero war weight consideration.

• Mikrakov says:

Hmm, so next one we might see a couple of decent clans similar weighting to us, but also a couple of crap ones with a bunch of TH12’s?

That would be my guess, depending on how much the first adjustment (two clans moved up, two clans moved down every league group) impacts things. If I had to bet, I’d say we will still win in Masters 3 and move up thought.