Skyrim ‘finished’

I finished the main quest line in Skyrim (spoiler, you kill dragons!), and I must say it was very enjoyable. There are a few parts that are incredibly great, and others that have me very curious to see how they play out if I do X instead of Y. Two areas in particular are jaw-dropping when you first see them.

‘Rushing’ through it also highlights just how little of the total content is experienced if you just do this one story. Entire sections of the map are not touched, and the areas you do visit you do so briefly. I would say the hardest part of the whole thing was NOT getting distracted by interesting side quests that you come into contact with. I honestly feel more ready to explore Skyrim now that I’ve ‘finish’ the story, if that makes sense. My plan is to wander and do whatever looks interesting, and see where that takes me, completely ignore the main story unless I happen to progress is naturally.

And in another “I said I would wait but I’m weak” moment, I rolled up a dark elf mage and started another playthrough immediately. Just too many “I wonder what happens…” moments to be ignored.

Finally, a quick note about review scores, as I’ve seen people question how a game can be considered a 95/100 when there are such obvious mistakes (the UI for example). To me it’s simple; is the UI bad? Yes. Is the game otherwise amazing? Yes. Is the UI bad enough to make me walk away from the game, or impact it enough to significantly hurt my enjoyment? No. Would I rather play game X or Skyrim? Skyrim. Hence even with the world’s worst UI, Skyrim is a 95/100 IMO (if I gave scores).

This entry was posted in Mass Media, Random. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Skyrim ‘finished’

1. Anonymous says:

interesting choice. I usually do side quests first and only then attack the main quest. Otherwise I fear that I might get bored after finishing the main quest and not be able to finish the side ones.

2. Anonymous says:

The UI is made for consoles, hence it works quite well on the PS3.

3. Loire says:

It’s a good thing you don’t work for Eurogamer.

Reviewing a game with 10’s of hours put into it, why I never.

4. theJexster says:

First game since SWG, and WOW year 1 that has held my attention for more than an hour. Loving it so far.

5. Snafzg says:

I’m definitely getting this feeling in Batman: Arkham City. You have the main storyline you can blast through but there are just so many cool side missions that can take up a lot of time and interest. Not to mention all the Riddler trophies… gotta catch ’em all!

6. coppertopper says:

Broke down and bought it last nite because of what the guys on GWJ said – its more fun to experience this game at the same time as your friends are ooing and ahhing over it – and now I understand why. I can also see why it will be worth saving some of the game for when the mod work gets done. Maybe your method of just tackling the main quest for now is the smart path, saving all the world exploring for when the “Better Bodies”, “Improved Combat”, and “More Better Stuff Everywhere” mods start coming out. So difficult though, as its such a great game to play anyway you like as it is.

7. shtanto says:

All quests done. Even used noclip to explore morrowind and cyrodiil.

Now what am I going to do with this big plastic dragon?