EVE: I’m in your wormhole, stealing your Sleepers

As I logged in last night, a few Corp members had already scanned down a wormhole (C2) that happened to contain 11 POSs(!) and a large number of sleeper sites. Not wanting to miss out on the fun, I hopped in a Drake and made the one jump to the entrance.

Once inside, we cleared most of the sleeper sites with our three battlecruisers, and had a Noctis pilot looting/salvaging as we went. At the end of the night we had a very lucrative haul (don’t know exact numbers as I had to log, but several hundred million ISK at least), and got yet another taste of WH life. Oh, and the WH closing right after my ship re-entered Empire, with everyone else still inside, was an interesting ending to my night.

The reason the wormhole had so many sites up is (as I understand it) because the Corp that lived there had not been clearing them. As someone in vent said, that many sites is likely a solid week of spawning. A solid week that we cleared in about two or three hours, hauling away all of the spoils for ourselves.

That’s one reason I love the WH concept in EVE. You never know where an entrance/exit is going to appear, and you never know who is going to scan it down and take a peek inside. While we were clearing the sites, a random cov-ops frigate appeared on d-scan, which raised an alert. However nothing came from this, so odds are it was someone else just popping into the WH, saw it was active, and left.

It truly is dynamic content, amplified by the fact that EVE is played on one ‘server’. From some quick intel, we were pretty sure the Corp living in that WH was a Euro corp, so we were in ‘their’ space while they were offline. Tough break, but that’s how things go. We had no chance of attacking their structures, but we were able to take some profits from their location.

And while that night was very profitable, the situation could have easily escalated into a fight had another group come along. Or maybe the WH would have been already cleared, or contained sites that we could not exploit (for instance, we were not able to harvest the gas sites). WH truly are a great unknown in many ways, and that is half the fun.

EVE-related blog post notice: If you would like to join us, comment here or shoot me an email. If you don’t have an EVE account, I’m more than happy to send a 21-day trial invite, and split the PLEX-related profit if you decide to sign up. Again just comment or email me.

This entry was posted in EVE Online, Inquisition Clan, MMO design. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to EVE: I’m in your wormhole, stealing your Sleepers

1. Zyref says:

Hole was a C1, the least of holes.
    Roughly 2 hours we pulled in almost 300m based on the split.
    Nanoribbons were going for 9m each ^,^

Add in 20m or so from scanning down the hole. We’d have double or tripled our haul if we could have gotten those gas sites too =(

I’ve been watching the price of these clock up from 7m over the last month or so. I wonder if there is some kind of economic pressure pushing the cost of T3 ship materials up.

2. Guest says:

The economic pressure would be fleets of Tengu’s ripping each other new orifices in null sec.

3. Chow says:

Are you and your corp looking for another hole to farm? My brother and I have a C3 that we PI out of, but never really have time to run any of the sites. As of last night, there were at least 30 or so sleeper sites, along with 10+ radar, ladar, and mag.

The entrance would be low-sec, but the hole is very quiet. Let me know if you want to work something out.

Contact: Mr Chowbox in game!

4. Aidan Padecain says:

I had the excitement of wormholes collapsing too – just in my face as my last compatriot jumped back to known space. Good thing I was in a scanning ship :)

Scanners always out last!

5. Rebecca says:

Wormhole systems, while not readily apparently, are divided into constellations just like k-space. I had a site once that showed them, I’ll have to track it down though.

Each constellation is given a certain number of sites that can be up at a time. Every time a site is cleared, it has a chance of respawning in any system in that constellation (including the one it was just cleared from).

This isn’t a big deal in c1s-3s where honestly most holes have at least some activity, even if it’s just someone popping in from highsec, warping to a site, then leaving because they don’t know what it is and are about to die. (An activated site despawns in 4 days if not completed).

In the higher class wormholes, this can be troublesome. Back in our c5, we literally went a month without any sites popping up, during which time we were actually scanning long chains of whs in the hopes of being able to stick scan alts in our constellation systems to pop sites for us in the hopes they’d respawn at our place.

Thankfully, sites also decay at some rate we were never able to pin down whether activated or not. So we eventually got a nice flood after our drought.

But yeah. That’s your lesson for the day on wormhole site spawn mechanics. *star* the more you know.

6. Sae says:

The main lesson here is to run all your own anomalies as soon as you can, because leaving them there is just giving ISK away. No point having a stockpile if the vault door is never locked.

Besides which, what Rebecca said. :p

• Raelyf says:

C2 wormholes are relatively low value, especially next to the investment (both in isk and logistics) of 11 POS. Most likely, the corp that lives there does so because that particular C2 has ‘static’ exits both to high-sec and to higher class wormhole space. They probably don’t even consider the C2 sites worth their time, hence their abundance.

• Dex says:

And as Zyref mentioned in the first comment, it was actually a C1 Wormhole, not a C2. Still, it was a decent chunk of change for very little effort for us. If we had time to clear all the sites and harvest all the gas, probably would have been around 1.5 bil iskies. As it was, we had about 300 mil from half the Anoms and none of the Gas (Each of the 4 Gas sites had nearly 180mil in Harvestable goodness in them). If I was thinking at the time, I would have suggested that our CovOps log in the hole and come back the next day to finish cleaning it out…

7. Sand says:

git ’em. =)

8. Andenthal says:

I’d really like to give EVE a try. I’ve never played before, but want to download the client this wekeend and give it a go.

An extended trial would be stellar if you still have any around.

• Dex says:

If Syn is out of 21-day Trial invites, I’d be more than happy to send you one myself. I’m in the Corp myself, though certainly not a big deal like Syn. I just get Faction ships blowed up, as Syn has made me famous for, heh.

9. Bronte says:

Fantastic story Syn, you are pushing me dangerously close to taking out my dusty old pilots! But not yet! I must resist! You bastard!

10. spinks says:

So basically Dynamic Content means that sometimes nothing happens :)

11. Eroslight says:

I’d like an invite to EVE online

12. SL says:

Certainly intersted in giving EVE a run, but always concerned about jumping in cold.

Send an invite.