Smed being Smed?

SOE being SOE is well established, but do we now need a sub-category for them with Smed being Smed? I think we might. I present you exhibit A:

“We will NOT be selling Guns, Ammo, Food, Water… i.e. That’s kind of the whole game and it would suck in our opinion if we did that” – Smed

Right now, in H1Z1, you can PAY to have an airdrop fly by that can drop guns, ammo, food, water, which in my opinion makes the whole game suck. Oh Smed.

But don’t worry everyone, Smed is fixing the airborn lottery lockbox by reducing the chance to get the good stuff. Because the only thing more fun in an ‘MMO’ like H1Z1 than paying for a random lottery chest, is paying for a random lottery chest with really shitty odds to give you what you are paying for. Because who doesn’t love paying to get junk? Certainly not SOE fans!

This entry was posted in Random, Rant, SOE being SOE. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Smed being Smed?

1. Sofie Hansen says:

Everyone can loot the air drops, so I guess you could be paying for someone else to get your win.

That being said, p2w isn’t inherently bad in MMO’s. Eve-online is pay2win and that never hurt the game.

So the lead dev saying they will never sell guns, and one day one they are selling guns, totally cool with you?

• Sofie Hansen says:

I don’t have much of a problem with it, I just don’t see the big deal.

I mean, I’m not going to play H1Z1 but that’s mainly because it’s not a MMO. The only reason it was interesting is because of Planetside, now that it’s been revealed that H1Z1 will have 200 people servers and not 5000 people servers it’s just another DayZ and I already own two of those.

2. Azuriel says:

Yeah, SOE is getting really good at epic PR disasters. Makes you start wondering how utterly screwed up EverQuest Next is going to turn out.

3. The air drop idea, with an easily spotted plane flying over that attract zombies as well as being visible to other players, is pretty comical.

There is still a lot of closed beta to get through before things are settled though. Some people are unhappy with things so far, but I would guess that most are going to hold out for a while.

• Rohan says:

I think the air drop would be a pretty cool game mechanic. Something where you have to cobble together a lot of parts, maybe find a key code, etc. And you get the air drop as a reward and content to be experienced.

I don’t think it’s a good cash shop item, though.

4. Rynnik says:

“Because who doesn’t love paying to get junk? Certainly not SOE fans!”

Well said. LOL