It’s a race to the bottom!

Oh Blizzard.

Free D3 to save WoW?(read: inflate sub numbers temporarily)

Pandas? Pet fighting? A new race + new class + cap increase all in one expansion? It’s like WoW is in panic mode or something…

On a slightly more serious note, going forward it will be interesting to see the differences between CCP trying to ‘save’ EVE and Blizzard trying to save WoW. We know the CCP A-team is back on EVE. Looking at that jaw-dropping (sarcasm) Panda video, I’m guessing Titan is coming along nicely. Between waiting for CCP to shut down (sarcasm) and waiting for WoW to finishing burning (serious), 2012 is looking great already.

Side-note: Did anyone else get an April 1st vibe from that Blizzard DoTA video? That’s not really a product is it?

This entry was posted in EVE Online, Random, Rant, World of Warcraft. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to It’s a race to the bottom!

1. Azuriel says:

There’s nothing temporary about a year-long subscription. :o

Actually, the most damning indictment about the Pandaria thing was when I read this part about the monk class: “No auto attack! Devs want you to have this street fighter feel where you punch a lot.”

2. Nils says:

I just lost every bit of hope I had left. These announcements finally make this game completely unattractive for me. I might test D3; after Skyrim and after SW:TOR and after GW2. Maybe after testing Darkfall v2 and attempt #4 with Eve Online.

But even if I had to pay more to play D3: I would not resubscribe.Ever.

3. Hudson says:

For once, you are right in a post. Good work

4. So how are they going to steal League of Legends’ thunder with Blizzard DOTA?

Yes, I got that April Fools vibe, though Blizzard stuff always seems to that breaking the fourth wall snarkiness to it. It is probably why they do April Fools so well every year… they just turn the knob from 10 to 11 and crank something out.

5. Hudson says:

Im sure lifetime sub suckers will be all over the yearly deal. I mean after all they bit on Champions Online and LOTRO right? This is a no thinking sheep like move for them

6. Rammstein says:

*Scene in Blizzard HQ*

“Syncaine claims we’re in a race to the bottom, how can we maintain our industry-leading presence and really win this race?”

…”Well, nothing falls faster than a fat ninja panda. But how can we shoehorn pandas into our world?”

“Oh that’s no problem, we’ll just put them on another giant turtle.”

The thing is, I fully expected WoW to continue to make harder/more complicated raids, while also stealing everything casual that Rift is introducing, which is a horribly disjointed way to approach their world. But pandas? I’m honestly surprised they went there so quickly.

7. Wyrmrider says:

@Azuriel, did you notice the lines above that one as well? “Chi (energy) slowly regenerates and is only used for your Jab and Roll abilities.” “Jab generates Light and Dark force, which are used for everything else. Some finishing move uses dark force, some use the light force.” Sounds kinda familiar… :)

I don’t really mind the pandas, per se. It’s been a while since I took WoW lore seriously anyway.

But what do they hope to accomplish with this list of shiny new features (mostly pale shadows of the other games that inspired them) without any change in the underlying direction? They say they want to revitalize the open world, but they don’t seem to know how. They say the expansion will be about Alliance vs. Horde conflict, but they certainly aren’t focused on PvP. Leveling is still railroaded, endgame is still instanced, content is still consumable.

I’m _hoping_ the WoW team is making a deliberate play at “MMO-lite” in order to differentiate it from Titan, which may well be aimed at core gamers. But I think they’re probably just lost.

8. Mark says:

Not that I care about wow anymore and I really could care less about the expansion the Pandaren aren’t some new thing out of left field. They did exist in the Warcraft universe so while they have become a bit of a joke in the game they are something that technically was already there.

9. Kyir says:

I get more of a snotty kid vibe from the Blizzard Dota than an april fools one. Sort of like when they made their Left 4 Dead clone and Starjeweled.

10. Andrei says:

Pandaria and monk class will have significant cultural appeal in the Eastern Asian markets. Blizzard clearly wants to exploit Asian expansion to keep WoW afloat.