GW2: Colin Johanson understands raiding

Our own internal testing teams and alpha test groups learned to beat them using a combination of player skill, synchronous builds, strong use of cross-profession combos, use of cooking/consumable buffs (these make a huge difference!) and well formed player tactics. – Colin Johanson

Cool description of end-game raiding, thanks.

Oh wait he is talking about running dungeons as you play and to ‘other stuff’, because GW2 has no ‘end-game’ so tuning your build for endgame and getting your raid-comp correct does not exist.

Well expect if you want to actually run dungeons I guess? And then just feel free to pay that respec cost and reset your build every time you are not running a dungeon? And hope the four others you are with do the same?

Fun…

(Keen has a good breakdown of the situation, and the comments of others in that post reflect many of my feelings as well.)

This entry was posted in Guild Wars, MMO design, Rant. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to GW2: Colin Johanson understands raiding

1. bhagpuss says:

Totally. I am not doing any GW2 dungeons and I didn’t expect to. They said repeatedly that dungeons would be like this so I’m not surprised. I wrote dungeon play off my GW2 “To-Do” list long ago.

I like dungeon play. I would do dungeons in GW2 if they were like old-school EQ dungeons or even EQ2 or Rift dungeons. Not as a main course but as a gameplay side-dish. What they’ve done, as you neatly point out, is stuff their end-game raids into 5-man dungeons, where most of us can conveniently forget about them.

Putting the main plotline behind that gate, however, is idiotic. This will get changed but I’ll bet there will be a lot of stubborn denials of reality first.

2. Dril says:

I thought this was meant to be the ultimate casual MMO?

Pretty sure most WoWInsider and Massively posters get their rage ready at any mention of optimising your character.

• bhagpuss says:

There’s a big disconnect between the Guild Wars 1 mindset, which is where this dungeon design comes from, and the GW2 open-access, prizes-for-all version. The more I play GW2, the more I see the sharp, spiky bones of GW1 poking through the soft, fuzzy GW2 surface. If I hit any speed-bump in GW2 (which admittedly isn’t happening very often) I just think “how would that work if this was GW1?” and up pops up the solution.

How that’s going to play out for people who never played GW1 is going to be interesting to see.

• Carson says:

Yeah, the Massively/WoWInsider groupthink is that even considering the possibility of attempting to optimize your character is a moral failing, and that if you refuse to even think about it, you are a superior human being.

Having said that, GW2 does allow you to do a considerable amount of rearranging of your character without any “respec cost” of which SynCaine speaks. Switching weapons, slot skills and traits goes a long way, even if you can’t rearrange your trait points without a respec. It’s very very close to what GW1 let you do for free, and in some ways much more generous than GW1, because you can make changes in the field, rather than having to return to town.

• jaggins says:

Carson is right, if you make your spec for Dungeons, you can usually switch out skills in the same line and retool for standard PVE (or even PVP) without respeccing. That works for a Dom/Chaos/Inspiration Mesmer at least!

You can, but again, it’s not optimal. For an Elem there are very specific skills you want in different lines for PvP, that are almost useless in PvE. You can swap those out for something ‘ok’, but again, a different spec would be much better.

Not to mention the long-solved issue of saving specs to instantly switch back and forth, rather than having to re-click everything.

3. Pingback: GW2: Broken Jack of Trades « Hardcore Casual