Server transfer, tons of RvR, and the eventual war.

To anyone who is playing Warhammer Online on a low population server, Mythic owes you an apology. You are not playing the same game everyone else is, but rather an empty husk of something really great. Any server with below a medium population should be merged/closed, as WAR is far more population dependant than any other MMO out, simple as that.

With Friday’s server transfer complete (flawless btw? Did anyone have a single problem with the transfer?), CoW and many other guilds from Thorgrim moved over to Monolith, and got to experience WAR the way it was meant to be played. The combination of a high pop server and an RvR-focused event (The Witching Night) meant the RvR areas were packed, from log in to log out. I logged in at 10am EST on Saturday, fully expecting the world to be quiet, only to find a near-full warband in tier 2 already clashing with a sizable Order group, and this level of action continued throughout the entire day. Same deal in tier 3 from what I saw. During the VERY brief time I was not in RvR, I saw players running around in the questing areas (chap 9 DE specifically), and I can only assume this means finding a PQ group would be that much easier compared to Thorgrim. The Inevitable City always had a ton of players going about their business, really giving it that capital city feeling that was missing before.

This weekend also made me realize one other very important feeling I have towards WAR; I don’t care about xp gain or ranks. At almost no point in the weekend did I think about my rank or how much xp I had gained in the last hour. The one time I did was when I hit rank 22 and got chickened out of tier 2, but since I had already done some tier 3 RvR (and very successfully at that thanks to the bolstering mechanic), it was more a matter of changing battlefield rather than being excluded from content. Gaining rank is nice because you get more skills/abilities, and those in turn flesh out your character and give you more options. That said, I don’t feel like unless I hit rank x, I’m gimped, and so I have to grind out xp until I hit that magical ‘now you are awesome’ rank. Gaining a new rank also means finding new gear to acquire, and I would honestly rather just RvR or even quest to relax, rather than look at gear and notice it’s 3-4 ranks below me. (no matter how hard I try, the min/maxer in me always comes out eventually)

The server transfer has really ignited my want to play Warhammer even beyond what it was before, and not just because of the RvR. During the weekend I saw a message that Praag had been locked down by Destruction, and this reminded me that eventually, I will be an active participant in an over-arching war for the Capital cities. I view my time now as soldier training, learning Keep attack/defense tactics, RvR tactics, and the overall feel for the world (both in an RP sense and for game mechanics). Once I make it to the front lines, it’s going to be ‘serious business’. But again, I don’t feel that need to hit the cap just to start the fun stuff, I’m having a great time at each rank.

This entry was posted in MMO design, RvR, Warhammer Online. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Server transfer, tons of RvR, and the eventual war.

1. Thallian says:

I’d go so far as to say that Mythic owes them money in the form of free play time. Honestly they need to act on this stuff faster. :P

2. Mikejl says:

No transfer issues. Had some great PvE / PQ with more folks around. The event RvR was ok inT3. Seems the PQ area was too close to the war camps (IMO). I am with you on XP .. I find the pace is great. Even better I am having fun where I am at in game. No feeling I need to rush to T4.

3. JoBildo says:

The rush to T4 mentality, is what slays me about all MMOGs. Why must we rush to the end-game to have fun? Chances are, if you’re not having fun at level 1, you’re not going to have fun at level 100 either.

People are silly creatures.

4. sid67 says:

Did you notice that not *one* Open RvR server got a transfer? My server is low/med and could have used an infusion.

5. syncaine says:

Yea people have pointed that out, not sure the reason. Perhaps it’s planned for a future wave? I saw that wave 5 happened today or yesterday, so it looks like Mythic is not done moving people just yet.

6. sid67 says:

Just saw Wave 5 and my server is a source server :( i was hoping for the other way around. Guild hasn’t even talked about it,..

*ponders future*

7. syncaine says:

Well so you only have two choices, and a quick check on the war stats site will likely give you an answer. Staying on the server is a non-option (at least that was the case for Thorgrim, since the top 15 guilds on both sides left)

Moving is a minor pain if you have a common character name, since you have to change it. But considering it changes how the game is player 100%, it’s beyond well worth it. You will be shocked at the difference.

8. Bonedead says:

I haven’t been able to play much recently due to my new computer having some problems, specifically with playing WAR, but I believe I’ve ironed the problems out. I did see that my server was a Destination in one of the first few waves, so hopefully there will be a noticeable change. I’ve played some since the transfers but I find myself usually playing at odd hours of the day, definitely not prime time.

Your point about enjoying every level and not feeling pressured or rushed is one of the reasons I love this game. Even when I take a couple days off, no one is hounding me to hurry up and level (RL-wise) because it is broken into tiers as well. I do find myself sometimes wishing the leveling would go faster, however. I believe it is because of my lack of grouping problem (personal problem) and I just get tired of Scenarios and quests don’t give nearly as high a % of xp as they used to heh. But I am 20 so T3 is right around the corner.

Good read my friend.

9. Rog says:

The population dependence is my biggest criticism in the game, because it’s such a big crack in what would otherwise be a diamond.

Unfortunately, it shatters into too many pieces far too easily. There are many flaws connected to this one issue.

10. Rog says:

Oh yeah and welcome to Monolith everyone.. I think we just saw our first server queue since release on Saturday, so I’m guessing the transfers to my server were at least successful in accumulating more Destruction.

11. Pingback: Is the actual game how Mythic advertised it would be? | The Greenskin - Warhammer Online Blog, Videos, Guides, Webcomic & Podcast

12. Pingback: Hammer of War Online - Around the Web: November 2 - November 8

13. jericho says:

I am unlucky enough to be on a High Destruction Pop server with a medium Order pop. The problem with the numbers that Mythic uses are false. Just because the server is medium Order pop does not mean that each tier has good open RvR or even good scenarios.

Bretonnia has a middle of the road Order pop, but the vast majority of the server’s Order are not in T4, thus making doing any RvR in the final tier of the game right now completely unfulfilling. Because of the nature of the “conquest” sytem you can not capture Praag or any other central area so you can mount city sieges.

The game has its fun, but doing Serpent’s Pass once every 45 minutes is not what I wanted to do with my time. So the choice is reroll (leveling is too much of a hassle in War to want to do that), transfer to a evenly popped server, or sit and wait til Order catches up.

The game has a lot going for it. The problems right now are a few fold.

#1) They messed up when creating servers. They should have pulled a Square-Enix and forced you onto a server and gave us the opportunity to move afterwards.

#2) Leveling is just too plain tedious. As tiers rise, experience needed scales too badly. Requiring you to Max all PQ chapters in all 3 “zones” for T3 and T4 to progress “easily” is just too much.

#3) Scenarios need to either have rewards that are specific to them or there needs to be more “randomness” in the queuing of Scenarios. In Tier 3 we saw 90% Tor Anroc and now in Tier 4 its 98% Serpent’s Passage. We need either incentive to do other Scenarios, or the game itself needs to not put 1 Scenario at the top each time.

I like War, its got a lot of potential. Right now, even with full on Keep Sieges going, its just the leveling and lack of consistent RvR is the downfall of it.

14. jericho says:

The game has a lot going for it. The problems right now are a few fold.

15. Pingback: Is the actual game how Mythic advertised it would be? at Scheming House