Yet another post with Tobold in the title

Try to follow along here, because this gets a little tricky. Tobold says he does not read my blog anymore, yet in that same paragraph he says:

“So every time I make some blog post about some PvP game, like “I don’t like legal RMT in EVE”, syncaine goes and makes a blog post with my name in the title, full of personal attacks and lies about me and my blog”.

I find that funny, not only because I just don’t see that with my last post, but also because it would be real damn hard to know a post is full of personal attacks and lies if you did not actually read it. (I was not aware you could EG blog posts, but there you go!) And as I’ve tried to explain to Tobold a few times now, when you constantly delete my comments (even though they follow your ridiculous ‘blog rules for commenting’) on your blog, and I want to respond to something you write, I’m left with no choice but to make a post about it here, and I don’t have to follow your blog rules on my own blog. Now I could be cute and leave the link off my post to your blog, but I’ll help feed your ego and give you some traffic while at the same time not insulting my ever-growing legion of readers. That I have a writing style you seem particularly sensitive to is, well, not really MY issue now is it?

Now for the record I did call Tobold an asshole at one point, although without actually using his name, when he called out a small company for donating money to charity. The original post has since been edited by Tobold, but follow the comments (at least the ones on my site, since he also filtered the ones on his) and you get the idea if you don’t remember the actual event. The first comment in that post on my site is rather fitting though, haha. But yea, I still stand behind that post, and I still consider it an asshole move to take a shot at a company trying to do some good (especially given the fact that they are struggling for money now, unlike another company who kept half the profits on their charity-driven promotion).

And while I did try to bury the hatchet with Tobold before (guess he also did not read that post, not enough “slander” in it perhaps?), I’m over that now thanks to his recent actions (I’d love to post the email he sent me, but that would be going over the top). Like I told him directly, either make your blog private so I can’t read it, or come to terms with the fact that when you make a post I disagree with, and I feel like it, I’m going to make a response post here. Whether or not I call you an asshole while refuting your points or ‘facts’ is likely going to come down to phases of the moon, the color of my shirt, and whether or not I need the traffic to buy another Ferrari, since you know, I’m now ‘financing’ myself off this blog.

This entry was posted in Rant, Site update. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Yet another post with Tobold in the title

1. pitrelli says:

Love it!

P.S I’ll buy darkfall again (from your blog this time) if you post his email……. worth a try since your a money hound

2. Herb O says:

Great stuff here.

I suppose it wouldnt be as bad if there were counter arguments or a discussion, but there never is from what ive seen.

3. Bhagpuss says:

I think this whole thing is a fairly standard version of the traditional fanzine-feud and therefore not really worth getting worked up over one way or the other.

That said, I can’t really argue with SynCaine’s point that he is replying to Tobold’s statement on a public forum. If you decide to speak in public you cannot then set the terms in which people choose to respond, save that the appropriate laws will apply. I don’t think disagreeing with someone is yet illegal in either Tobold’s or SynCaine’s country’s legal systems, and within certain bounds, which don’t appear to have been over-stepped so far, neither is being rude to someone.

I’d still prefer it you got backto writing about the games and not each other, though.

• pitrelli says:

Naaaaaa real life pvp is better than hearing about emblem grinding or running about in Darkfall ganking noobs ;)

• Xtiangames says:

But it’s not even real life PvP. It’s real life… “I’m not talking to you, nyah nyah” stuff. I agree with Bhagpuss: quit with the writing about each other. Even off-hand comments or references are annoying, since now I don’t even think they’re funny or point-worthy, they’re just continuations of a stupid feud.

• sid67 says:

The issue is that it gets promoted as a blog war when it’s really a one-sided shouting match.

On the one side, you have a very prominent blogging pundit commenting about the nature of MMOs.

On the other side, you have a rabid fanboi defending his turf.

The pundit doesn’t want to argue with the fanboi, but the fanboi won’t shut up.

In fairness, the fanboi wasn’t always a fanboi and was once disguised as a pundit himself. But something happened (WoW didn’t die?) and the pundit became consumed with fury.

At least… that’s how I read both blogs. And I really don’t have a vested interest in Tobold or Syncaine.

4. Spooky says:

So, is it a full church ceremony for you two or just a registry office?

5. victorstillwater says:

Someday, when I’m on my deathbed, I’ll remember the Syncaine -Tobold exchanges as some of the best internet posts I’ve read in my lifetime.

Till then, Happy V-day. :D

6. Pingback: Team SynCaine vs Team Tobold « Kill that Cheerleader

7. Snafzg says:

Grown men acting like middle-schoolers. Honestly, you both need to get over yourselves. The obsessions you both carry aren’t healthy. Well, maybe in your case it is because it’s probably better you get your fix by lashing out verbally on the Internet than physically in public…

8. Simaril says:

I love it! Far funnier than normal forum flaming :)

9. Josh says:

It’s all starting to come together now. I see where this is going. The M. Night Shyamalan twist is that Syncaine and Tobold are the same person and we’ve all been duped. :P

10. sid67 says:

ever-growing legion of readers

Priceless. All 19 of us? Or are we up to 20 now? :D Sixteen of whom are all Darkfall fanbois. :P

Dude if its just 20 of you, why are you all multi-boxing DF? And just how many different computers/IPs are you guys using to visit this place? Goddamn Hardcore Casual fanbois!

• DrPest says:

Well SynCaine just got one fanboy more and Tobold lost on. So we’re up to 20 no.

For the statistics: Not playing Darkfall, but Eve Online.

11. George says:

Even though I would have believed you to be correct SynCaine, your specific way of quoting have made some of your credibility disappear. I went to read the Tobold post you commented on and discovered that you quoted a small part of an article that explained how he came about to see your post (that random people email him with links or something). Really now, if your going to quote a very small portion of what he said to discredit him, all that does is discredit yourself. By adding that one line, you made your own credibility disappear. I recommend to not do something like that again as sometimes people do go read the other blog to get both sides of the story.

I expect people to go read the other post, that’s exactly why I link it…

As for the other part, he still claims he never read the post, not here, not through email, not through another blog. Including his entire paragraph does not change this, only clutters my post more.

12. Wintersdark says:

Always entertaining!

13. Tami says:

Honestly, I think he’s making way too big of a deal out of this. How come he is allowed to make posts about how he disagrees with game developer’s decisions, and calls game companies out BY NAME, but THAT isn’t considered bad “nettiquette” or slander? It’s only slander if it’s a blog war?

You didn’t say anything about him personally. You contradicted his opinion, which is perfectly fine. I don’t know why he obsesses over people’s public perception of him so much. Between his obsessive TOS, moderation, and his fear of being talked about on Twitter – he needs to realize what comes along with being a blogger.

14. Crevex says:

All hail Syncaine! King of the flame!
    Another +1 for Syn.