DF hopes, Blood Scrolls, Yourmom, and home ownership

This post over at Don’t Feat the Mutant really reminds me of this post I made a while back, especially when you read the comments over at DFtM. It’s not a bad thing at all, but its funny how we too often hype ourselves to certain ideas without seeing something from all angles. I can only think that one bad PK’ing would ruin the whole experience for many of those commenting, even if they really enjoyed the rest of the game. I’d love to be wrong, but having seen it happen too many times in my years with MMOs, I doubt it.

And speaking of that good stuff in DarkFall, Aventurine has put out what they call “The Blood Scrolls”, a living journal of sorts for the dynamic lore system that is just beginning now. I don’t know what value someone who is not currently playing might get out of them, but as a current player its very nice to have one location to recount what has happened. And because we all want to be e-famous, the little added carrot of having your name included in those Blood Scrolls is a nice touch by AV and should lead to increased participation/competition in future events.

I should have linked to this map site for DarkFall sooner, because it truly is a great page, one that I am more than happy to contribute to. With a guest account your bandwidth is very limited, but you can still get an idea for what the map offers and just how accurate it really is. To get an account you can either contribute information, or send a bit of cash via Paypal. Since I’m now filthy rich off this blog, I had no issue sharing the wealth with another great DarkFall resource.

Finally, in a little Tuesday preview, I’m now the owner of a house on south-west Rubaiyat. How the deal went down, the first PvP trip out of it, and everything else related to home-ownership coming up in the next post.

(DarkFall-related post disclaimer/reminder. If you click the image link near the top-right of this page and buy a DarkFall account, I get paid 20% of the client cost. If you believe this taints my views and reporting on DarkFall, your opinion is wrong.)

This entry was posted in crafting, Darkfall Online, Housing, MMO design, PvP, Site update. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to DF hopes, Blood Scrolls, Yourmom, and home ownership

1. Petter says:

I’m trying to figure out what you are actually trying to say in that first paragraph. :)

• Adam says:

It’s a bad paragraph he wrote there.

I think he’s saying “you might be in love with the idea of a sandbox, but we’ll see after you get ganked and drylooted the first few times”

Will you pick yourself up and get back in there?

You’ll notice in the comments of people that have quit or aren’t playing Darkfall that there are a lot of “reasons” why they quit. Skill cap, Economy (there is actually a decent economy for things that they probably weren’t tuned into), lack of x or y, or didn’t like the animations etc.

Almost noone says “i got ganked too often and it made me feel bad so i didn’t log in again”.

My guess is that thats a pretty big percentage of the people that have not stuck in Darkfall.

It can be hard to pick yourself up, regear (re-ante’ing for the game) and get back out there.

Most people aren’t up to that.

• Petter says:

Ok, then I guess I did interpret it semi-right. :)

Well, yeah. There’s that. But looking at myself, who has lost a LOT of ships in EVE, I think I will be alright. But yes, I do believe it is one of the reasons a lot of people leave – just like in any free for all PvP game.

This is why I normally don’t post outside of work, far less time to proofread.

But yea, Adam got the gist of what I was trying to say. I think the paragraph makes a lot more sense if you follow both links, because the sentences after basically assume you did. I was going to mention that you, Peter, should be ok because of your experience with EVE, but the fact that you feared going into 0.0 as much kinda off-set that. 0.0 is not THAT scary (if anything all of DF is worse than even 0.0, because at least in 0.0 Corps have SOME control over their space)

• Petter says:

Ha ha, I know that feeling. :)

I admit to just skimming through the second link. And I don’t really fear 0.0 that much, it was more the paranoia that annoyed me (having been accused of being a spy, etc). In the end, I did move there. Have to post a follow up, I guess.

But who knows? I might write a blog post about how tired I am of being ganked all the time after a week in DarkFall. We’ll see what happens. :D

2. pitrelli says:

Darkfall made me scared to play a computer game, well not truly scared but it kept me on edge and I felt like I had to be 100% concentrated on everything around me. At first it was a brilliant sensation however after a stressful day at work the last thing I needed was to log onto a game that I couldnt relax with.

I will return to Darkfall at somepoint as I felt i hadnt really scratched the surface, but boy was it a culture shock over my first few days.

Not sure if you had read my parting shots Syn http://killthatcheerleader.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/darkfall-%e2%80%93-final-thoughts/

That more or less confirms what I was saying above and in the Envy post. You can see the potential and the fun parts, but for whatever reason you just can’t consistently get yourself to them. At least now you have a better point of reference about DF, and who knows what 2010 will bring to the game to get people like you to check it out again. EVE for a long time had a similar issue until they added ‘enough’ stuff to keep people busy for longer stretches of time.

• Kyff says:

If you want to relax after a stressful day you can harvest or craft within the safe compunds of NPC cities. You don’t have to be on your toes that much in there.