EVE: INQ-E March update

One of the interesting things about running a fairly noob-filled EVE Corp is you get a lot of first-hand experience with the learning curve and progression path. As our new guys are learning the different aspects of the game, they run into skillpoint-based barriers as they go. The current barrier in front of many is putting together an Incursion-ready ship.

The ‘hidden’ barrier for many is flying as part of a fleet, hitting the right targets and flying the ship correctly. While the combat system in EVE is ‘slow’, there is a LOT going on that you need to understand and know how to take advantage of. This becomes especially true at the most critical moment; when shit hits the fan.

With all of that said, it’s looking like we are in good shape to field an Incursion fleet next week. It won’t be shiny, it won’t be knocking out VG sites in 4 minutes, but it should get the job done, and for most of our members the ISK earned will be a huge boost. It will also be the first real fleet experience for many (running lvl 4s as a group does not really count).

The ‘progression path’ here is a good one. You learn how to fly in a fleet in a semi-safe environment (ships still go boom in Incursions, but not at the same rate as in PvP), make good ISK, and then take both of those things and jump into PvP. You have the ISK to afford it, and the baseline fleet skills to not totally fail. And then, when your Corp is at least able to put up a fight, things like living in a wormhole or lowsec and defending yourself look far more doable.

Side-tangent: What is the deal with people joining a Corp/Guild and then never taking part in any group activities, or even talking in chat/vent/message boards? If you are one of these people (not just in EVE, but in general), can you explain this to me?

I don’t get it, especially in EVE. EVE is painful when you play it solo full-time. The content you have access to flying alone is limited, and its borderline pointless when you don’t have bigger goals. Grinding missions for the sake of grinding missions is mind-numbing. Mining solo is death in videogame form. Market-grinding ISK for the sake of having ISK gets you what long-term?

The whole structure ‘works’ because of those big goals. Setting up a base in a wormhole is a major undertaking. Becoming a viable PvP Corp takes a lot of work and a lot of time. Moving to null-sec is not automatic or a solo option. Controlling the market in a region or its production is not feasible solo.

I suspect that for some, it’s just a different approach and mindset to the game. EVE players think in months/years. People have skill plans based around such timeframes. Wars can last that long. Market Ops don’t play out in the span of a few weeks, etc. If you know you are in this for that amount of time, you also know and understand the value of doing it with others you know/trust. If you go into this like you might go into a themepark, where you expect to consume content of a month or three and be ‘done’, you might not see the value/need of becoming part of a community.

But yea, I don’t get it. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

This entry was posted in crafting, EVE Online, Inquisition Clan, MMO design, PvP. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to EVE: INQ-E March update

1. bhagpuss says:

Can’t comment on EVE because I don’t play, but I’ve said many times that one of the main attractions of MMOs is having something to do with your hands while your brain is off doing something else.

My grandmother used to sit and knit. I don’t recall her ever making anything anyone could wear. I think mostly when she got to the end of the wool she unraveled it and started again. The knitting was something to do with her hands while she sat and thought or watched t.v. A lot of the very repetitive parts of MMOs, harvesting, gathering, mining, combat with creatures that are no threat, sorting your inventory, even pricing and putting things up for sale on the AH or Broker are that kind of activity.

I’d guess you’re very much a foreground kind of player. When you sit down to play an MMO or any video game I imagine you want to give it your full attention and become entirely absorbed. I do, a lot of the time, too. I was playing through one of the Guild Wars campaigns today and I was concentrating fully and paying attention throughout. Other times, though, I might spend a couple of hours nominally doing some repetitive task in-game but actually listening to a play on the radio or just thinking about stuff. I could just sit, but just sitting gets a bit too zen for me, so it’s good to have a simple activity to keep my hands occupied and make the busy part of my brain feel employed.

And I can’t knit.

• Powdrdsnake says:

I’m gonna agree with bhagpuss, i generally play EvE solo, mainly because i don’t have time to really get involved with a corporation with grand schemes, but also as a way to relax after work! Pirating solo is a lot of fun and difficult imo, but I think personally “flying solo” is just a transition from a mindset a to b. If that makes any sense! xD

2. Anon says:

Our corp chat is often fairly quiet, as is our Mumble, but that’s because the things that folks in our corp do: scamming, miner killing, mission bear killing, suicide ganking are mostly solo-ish pursuits that don’t lend themselves to real time communication.

Sure, if someone gets a mission runner flashy, they may call for logi in the vicinity (which often attracts killmail hangers on), and when there’s wreck baiting underway we can get positively chatty while waiting for targets. But, in general, solo exploits are communicated to the corp via email or forums later for the “Whoa, nice…” responses.

3. Sand says:

answering your side tangent:

they’re planning to rob you. the gist is this: get an alt into a corp. have him do his own thing for a while -OR- leave him sit and never touch him again. people stop wondering about the guy and come to accept his presence as normal and benign. one day, you log on and bump the corp orca out of the pos shields and swipe it with an alt. people go nuts accusing one another. maybe your guy gets accused and maybe he doesn’t. either way, you have a new orca.

i’ve got a dude doing this now. i have contributed exactly nothing to their corp. when Sand finishes his orca training, my retarded new corpmates’ orca becomes my orca.

I thought of this, but we don’t have a POS, and no one has access to anything of value in the Corp. If they are in it for the long haul, it’s going to be a while…

• Sand says:

it’s kind of hit-or-miss. you want to scout your target as best you can, but sometimes you just can’t. either way, INQ is a bad choice for this kind of infiltration. between the reasons you mentioned above and the full-api requirement, you’re a very low-value target.

question: does the guy play often? if he’s on every day and just off doing his own thing, he might be one of those solo-mmo skinner boxers that TOR is trying to hook.

4. Vox says:

I can’t speak for anyone else in INQ, but I started playing Eve casually now, pre-empting much more serious play in the Summer after I’ve moved.

I knew how long it can take to fly things that are useful, so I decided to get in a couple months early to get the skills a-trainin’. That said, I’ve still talked a bit on vent, and have gone on two corp ops, so maybe there are people less active than me that you’re directing this at…

Yea there are a few people who have never been to a corp event, posted on the forum, or really chatted. Just odd…

• Dex says:

My favorite are the ones that actually log into Vent, but then don’t talk. At all. I’d be in the Inq Vent more often if it wasn’t for the fact that, when we have wars going atleast, it’s (practically) mandatory to be in Vent whenever I’m at the computer, whether or not I’m actively playing EVE, heh…

• Devore says:

Kick them, see how long it takes them to notice.

5. Bristal says:

“If you are one of these people (not just in EVE, but in general), can you explain this to me?”

I’ll try, and it goes along with the comment I made on your dungeon finder article a few days ago.

In general, we are are afraid of being exposed as not knowing everything there is it know about everything like you appear to. We want to feel a part of the group, but this imaginary community you and some others in MMO land feel is so wonderful, is a pretty harsh place to be the new guy. Lack of any kind of subtle communication like body language or eye contact also makes approaching a vulnerable social situation extremely risky to many.

It’s like an intellectual locker room where the jocks in power are lurking and ready to take your ego down.

Chat channels are not a sufficient mode of communication for most of us to build trust quickly.

• Hong WeiLoh says:

^^ this probably has a srs element of truth to it.

EVE is a game by narcissists, for narcissists. Why do you think the Ultimate Narcissist is #chairman4life and even short of being CSM Chair, is still one of the most powerful individuals in the game?
      EVE rewards and encourages narcissistic asshattery and egotism, antisocial behavior, etc. — see also: Corelin’s Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Really the important part about EVE isn’t the narcissistic aspect, it’s the antisocial one. After all, yes, there’s the narcissistic jackholes who love to “rapecage” POSes and stations and “lolpwnzor’d U!!!” while self-flaggellating to artificially inflated KB efficiencies… those are the “obvious” antisocial crowd.
      The other crowd isn’t so much “anti”social as just “a”social. They literally just want to be left alone, to mine, mission, complex, whatever as the case may be.
      They are perfectly content to pretend all those brackets around stations are ALL NPCs, floating around, doing other things — the fact that we “don’t attach to spaceships as ‘avatars'” lends itself perfectly to this mindset.
      “That’s not another player, that’s just a Jaguar…”
      Well, it is, until you happen to be in the wrong part of space and it decides to attack you FAR more effectively than the red crosses you’re used to shooting.

There’s more than a few of us “moderates”, too — who don’t “get off” on KB efficiencies, who can solo a few L4s or plexes for ISKies, then wander back to home base and go gallivanting off on a 30-jump CTA or small gang roam, and be perfectly happy doing all of it.

You just have to know where to find us.

On a side note, Syn, I’m glad your corp is doing well and making headway. Keep learning, keep moving up, and maybe someday we’ll see you guys around lolsex or maybe even out in null. :-)

• Sand says:

i keep trying to get him to bring the boys out to syndicate and play spaceships with us. he’s still stuck on the idea that they’re ‘not ready for 0.0’

6. Azuriel says:

It happens everywhere; we had maybe half a dozen in even my small guild back in WoW. I did end up getting one of them to talk for a bit, and he was a young, married professional who enjoyed the lively guild banter but didn’t feel as though he could contribute anything meaningful since he had to leave at a moment’s notice.

And in many ways, I see his point. Have you ever felt like doing something else (e.g. not log in), but then thought “Well, I said I’d be on tonight…” or just wanted to log on without having to do the song and dance of greetings and “where have you been?” and all of that?

Just think about all the people sitting in Trade chat, just letting all the chat wash over them. Occasionally, someone would say “LF1M” and you may feel “why not?” But you wouldn’t necessarily want to say “LFG” yourself.

People play MMOs, even “true” MMOs, for different reasons. Being an active participant in the community is not always one of them.

• Most of the replies here hit it for me.

The biggest factor is that I don’t have dedicated blocks of time to play, so it’s really worth it for me to “get involved”, because once I did I would have commitments and MMOs aren’t commitments for me, they’re something to do for fun.

7. Latrodanes says:

Maybe they’re really bots?

8. Dave Bennett says:

Eve is escape for me. Mostly what I want to escape from is humans, a species that has little use for me. So I play solo. This first couple of weeks at least. Sad and creepy? Oh well.