Weird, I’m right again, this time with the prediction that the Warcraft movie would bomb. Oh and bomb it did, to the tune of 24m in the US on a 160m production budget. Given that the traditional model for the industry is that a movie breaks even at double its production budget, it’s safe to say the movie is doing about as well as the MMO its (not actually) based on.
It’s only saving grace (that won’t actually save it) is that over in Asia it did very well the first week, which is just another reminder that yes, Asians are still weird. I’d also not be surprised if the Asian numbers are about as real and accurate as the ‘subscriber count’ coming from that region, especially when you consider who is invested in the movie doing well in that area.
What’s especially terrible about the 24m number in the US is that the movie had a massive amount of ticket pre-sales (hardcore WoW fans), meaning that outside of that group, basically NO ONE else was interested in the movie. The report states 54% of viewers were Warcraft loyalists (how many of the remaining 46% are closet loyalists?), and even if we account for a much higher-than-average rate of people going to the movies solo (lonely no-friends nerds, aka WoW players), how many WoW players dragged a friend or family members along? Expect the movie to completely fall off a cliff next week when that group isn’t there to provide what little boost they did.
New Blizzard doing New Blizzard things!